SEO optimization and links.php page

"cross promoting" or link exchange will also cost you SEO points  .....

Quote · 14 Sep 2008

Suit yourself  .....  how long you been doing SEO?

Quote · 14 Sep 2008

The general statement "cross promoting or link exchange will also cost you SEO points" is not factually correct.  It doesn't matter how long you have been involved in SEO - that is an just argument that you are an authority and your amorphism cannot be questioned.

Someone else ripped me a new one on a different thread here in a discussion of link directories- also not factually correct.  Getting your site in different directories will help with your SEO points (if by that you mean Google pagerank).  In this case, however, there was an element of truth.  What will get you docked is selling or buying pagerank - in other words if you have a high page rank, and you sell links to other sites (or vice versa) your page rank, and resulting traffic from Google could go down.  Google hates this and advises that you "avoid bad neighborhoods".    A few months ago, Google changed it algorythm and increased the penalty for exchanging links with certain kinds of directories.  It got a lot of press, and that is likely what caused the confusion.

Rob

Quote · 14 Sep 2008

Reciprocal linking, cross linking, link exchange (all same) blew out a couple years (or so) back when SEs started penalizing  ..... 

One way links are way to go  .....  or three way  ..... 

After you've read/deployed/studied/designed/ 20-30 SEO (out of hundreds) themes/plans/methods/systems you'll have a deeper understanding  ..... 

Everyone's a guru  ..... 

Quote · 14 Sep 2008

Ted - I don't think it will "ding" you, I just think it won't help you.  The reason is that many people uses shared servers and have a bunch of domains.  Often they will just link to their own domains ( I know I do) so it isn't much of an indicator of popularity.  This is probably an off topic thread, though I think your advice about renaming the "links" page was sound.   There are many, many forums that discuss this exclusively, and I can put you in contact with people who specialize in this if you want (nice ones!).

Rob

p.s.  Sent you a note on a different issue related to RSS - please check your inbox.

Quote · 14 Sep 2008

well I've never heard of that problem, even php.net have a links page called links.php.. PageRank = 8

http://www.php.net/links.php

I'll stick with calling the links page "links.php" :)

Quote · 14 Sep 2008

To boost your Seo Points try this.

Now we have a new mod that allows you to use Seo Links and anchor tags, AUTOMATICALLY site wide

http://www.expertzzz.com/Downloadz/view/5406

Quote · 20 Feb 2009

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.