Troubleshooting - Crons, Videos, Migrations, RMS

Hi Members,

Since there are still many people having issues with Data Migrations and Video upload issues, I have decided to once again create a detailed troubleshooting guide to assist those who are still having these issues. The following instructions have been collected from the forum posts that I and others have given, and have proven to resolve these issues.

FIRST - Make sure your host fits ALL the requirements for running Dolphin. For instance, in video uploads, your host MUST allow Shell_Exec and POPEN in their PHP configurations.

Second - Remove any failed videos from the admin panel>modules>videos. ALWAYS Keep your /cache cleaned when making changes. You can also try removing the caching options under Settings>Advanced Settings>Templates.

Cron Job Setup:
I have seen alot of questions regarding migrations stuck in "queued" and videos not processing. So I figured I would give some of most common reason why this happens. It is commonly due to Cron Jobs!

Here are some helpful tips regarding Cron Jobs-

Most common configurations:

* * * * * /usr/local/bin/php -q /home/sitedir/public_html/periodic/cron.php

* * * * * /usr/bin/php -q /home/sitedir/public_html/periodic/cron.php

(to find your exact /home/sitedir/public_html/ edit your /inc/header.inc.php and look for $dir['root'])

-I have also found that some Crons (depending on your host) have difficulties "calling" the cron job to run. I have been able to resolve this by specifying the location of the php configurations and manually entering it into the cron job command: (See below)

* * * * * /usr/bin/php -c /home/sitedir/public_html/php.ini -q /home/sitedir/public_html/periodic/cron.php

Video/Cron Job Processing:
-Please note that you should allow sufficient time for the video to process. When you upload videos, they may not play instantly. Some videos can take at least 4-5 minutes before they display on your home page or video albums.
-If you attempt to view a video (like from the Admin Panel) BEFORE it has time to process, YOU WILL get an error of "File not Found".

How to run a Cron Job Manually:

There is a way to manually execute the cron job also, by renaming the .htaccess file located in the /periodic folder to something like .htaccess.old. You can then manually run the cron job by physically typing in the location in your browsers address bar. Example: www.mysite.com/periodic/cron.php
- You will want to make sure you have cleared the /cache (except for .htaccess) and /public_cache directories.
- When you navigate to your www.mysite.com/periodic/cron.php, you WILL GET A BLANK PAGE. This is normal. If you see that this page loads instantly, try clearing the cache as explained above and try again. The page SHOULD load for at least a couple of seconds.
** Before manually running your cron job, please verify that your cron job settings are correct. Also, if you have renamed your .htaccess file during this process, make sure you rename it BACK.

Videos/Music NOT playing- Has 00:00 as time: Pressing play does nothing: Error 'File not found'

- In some instances, it has been noted by other members that to resolve this issue, try verifying your flash/modules/video/files directory has a permission setting of 775. All of the 'files' directories located throughout the flash/modules/ directories should be set to 755.

-I have also found that some Crons (depending on your host) have difficulties "calling" the cron job to run. I have been able to resolve this by specifying the location of the php configurations and manually entering it into the cron job command: (See below)

* * * * * /usr/bin/php -c /home/sitedir/public_html/php.ini -q /home/sitedir/public_html/periodic/cron.php

RMS:
- Not all RMS packages support D7. Please check with your host before asking the questions in the Forum.
- In order to take advantage of video/audio in Chat, IM, using video comments, and the use of your whiteboard, you MUST RMS installed.
- In Admin Panel>Modules>Flash Apps, click Settings. Put a check mark in Use Rms. Enter the settings provided by your RMS host.
- If all modules work EXCEPT for video comments, please note that your webhost MUST HAVE these ports (given to you by your RMS host) OPENED for you to use video comments.

I hope this helps alot of you resolve your issues you may be having. If you are still continuing to have problems, please post them in the forum as instructed above.

Regards,

Chris

Nothing to see here
11 Jan 2010

Well written and very helpful, I'm sure. You deserve a slice of my rum cake.

BoonEx Certified Host: Zarconia.net - Fully Supported Shared and Dedicated for Dolphin
11 Jan 2010

Another good thread for me to subscribe. Thanks so much!

11 Jan 2010

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.