Why I HATE Dolphin modules

I think I have been spoiled by Joomla.

You see a module you want, you buy or download it, go to your administrative panel and install the component. It tells you immediately if it is installed and you then see the MOD or PLUGIN or COMPONENT in the menu.

In Dolphin,

You see a mod you like and then you buy it. Then when you go to click on the link of the downloaded file, you find out it is a zip file with one sentence in the file:  "We will install the mod for you." 

This means:

1) I don't want to give you files because people using Dolphin steal modules and sell them as their own and I don't trust giving you my work

2) You need to give essentially root access to your server to someone you never met and don't know if they are really trustworthy to get on and install your new mod.

3) You are not told what was done except: "install the module". You are often not given any files or what database changes were made

4) you don't know if they left something behind that will be helpful to them in the future.  (I had one mod developer put banner advertisements in a module!!!!!!!  -  I had to make several requests before he removed them).

Sometimes there is no module to upload:  You buy something and then get an email on how to modify an existing file! (example: I buy a module for $30 and just get instructions on changing one file.)

This is SOOOOOO UNPROFESSIONAL TO ME!!!!

Here is my opinion:

1) module installs should be self contained, sent to you as a zip and with instructions. If you are afraid someone will steal your mod and resell it, create license files using ZEND or IONCube.

2) No module install should require you give your servers credentials to anyone. If they can't do an install via a Dolphin module mechanism, they need to create one that can do it in a stand alone manner.

Part of the problem here is Dolphin itself (it is not as mature a platform as Joomla) and part of the problem are the developers who want to protect their intellectual property.

The losers are the Dolphin audience because we become reliant upon developers to reinstall if we ever have a problem with our server, etc. This is NOT a good way of doing things.

I hope to see Dolphin rise to better standards so more people can adopt it.

David P.

Quote · 17 Jul 2008

Hi DavidP,

I have recently begun purchasing mods from Expertzzz authors, I guess I'm up to about 12 mods now.  I see now after reading your post I've apparently been lucky.  The mods I've purchased have full details/files/install instructions.  If there are authors out there who refuse to give you full access to thier code after you purchase it, I for one would love to know, so that I do NOT purchase from them. 

It is absolutely 100% essential to know exactly what what has been done to what files in your site and to your database.  Number one because you bought it, it's yours, you paid the ridiculous price, you deserve the full details.  But even more importantly, what happens when you want to install a Dolphin patch/upgrade?  How will you know what files have been modified by a mod?  The patch will overwrite those files and boom, your mod is destroyed and you have to beg the author to repair it for you.  And what about other mods which affect the same files and possibly the same code?

So please, who are these authors who have done this to you?  Do the community a favor and post their names here so we can deny them our business.  Because the practices you have detailed must be weeded out.

For the record, I've purchased from Scritpologist, Dolphinmods, and Kolimarfey and they've all been great.  I highly recommend them.

Quote · 17 Jul 2008

Hi

Wherever you buy the mods from you can leave feedback on the mod page. If you have problems then you should leave accurate feedback on the mod page describing it. Perhaps that will stop from doing this.

Cheers

Max

Quote · 17 Jul 2008

Yeah, we have had a looooooooong string of con artists on expertzzz.. and they all fall into two catagories:

1. They buy mods and then resell them cheaper as their own.

2. They sell empty zip files or zip files full of garbage files that aren't the advertised mod.

The most famous is "CodyT" who I'm sure is still around.. he has an IP changer so as soon as they delete him he just creates a new account. The newest one is "spikefaery" who has been deleted a few times and is now "Midnattsol". These people bring the whole community down. The feedback doesn't really stop them because they just remove the item and repost it new.

The best way to avoid being ripped off on expertzzz is to just look at the account of the seller before you buy anything.. if the account was created yesterday don't buy from them. Also, CodyT always puts something rediculous on his profile description like "I love to program and help people!" or "I'm a programmer who loves to share my knowledge.".. If you take the time to look at everything the author is selling and see that NONE of the products have feedback then you know something is fishy also.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Mike

BoonEx Certified Host: Zarconia.net - Fully Supported Shared and Dedicated for Dolphin
Quote · 17 Jul 2008

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.