Why do my profile pictures have space around them?

When members upload profile photos, they have like white space above and below them (pic below)

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg223/CalJordan23/pic2.jpg

When they post to the forums, it causes things to move out of order (pic below)

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg223/CalJordan23/pic3.jpg

Also, how do we create links in Orca forums? Like for the addresses I posted, they arent clickable links.

Thank

Quote · 20 Mar 2009

1.  I don't use Orca so I'll leave that question to someone who does.

2.  The photos have a white spacer behind them because not all photos are the same exact size and this is there to simply provide a constant as far as the appearance goes.  You can replace spacer.gif with the image of your choice to clear this up.

Quote · 20 Mar 2009

Just turn the spacer into a transparent image and the problem should be solved. Also, if you check out mrpowless site, he's got a tutorial there that tells you step by step in which files you can easily make just those particular backgrounds transparent permanently, as opposed to changing the spacer image. That way if there's something white in your community that requires the current white spacer somewhere else, it won't have any adverse impact.

Greetings from Germany

Quote · 20 Mar 2009

spacer.gif is already a transparent image covering those photos.

Quote · 20 Mar 2009

After I installed dolphin without any problems, followed by changing the primary background color as well as the background color of the blocks, all of my thumbnails and profile pics still had a white background too which clearly indicates that at least my copy of spacer.gif was NOT transparent. If it had been transparent I should have been seeing my new background colors and not the white. But as soon as I followed the steps in the tutorial by adding the word "transparent" in the proper files, the white background disappeared. Hmmm, weird, eh?

Makes you wonder why mrpowless would even bother with such a tutorial?

Greetings from Germany

Quote · 20 Mar 2009

Hi guys, thanks for the advice, but if I make the spacer transparent, its still a spacer isnt it? Could someone please look at the second link I posted, where it shows how its affecting the forums. Its not that the white color is interfering with the pictures, the pictures overlap the white spacer so the whiteness doesnt affect the pictures..... its that the size of the spacer is causing the forums to be thrown out of wack for some reason. If I make it transparent, its still there so its still moving everything above and below it down or up.

For example, lets say that this thread right here that we are typing on is a thread on MY website. If this was my forum, then meinecommunity posting above me would interfere with my post. It would overlap into my post. So under meinecommunity's name, where it says "posts: 87", that would overlap and end up in the box where my picture and my name (CJBAY) is. If this was my forum, with the problem Im having now, then under meincommunity's picture, there would be a white space that moves everything under it down. If I make that white space transparent, the space is still there even though I cant see it, so it will still move things down wont it? Maybe Im missing something here, sorry.

Quote · 21 Mar 2009

After I installed dolphin without any problems, followed by changing the primary background color as well as the background color of the blocks, all of my thumbnails and profile pics still had a white background too which clearly indicates that at least my copy of spacer.gif was NOT transparent. If it had been transparent I should have been seeing my new background colors and not the white. But as soon as I followed the steps in the tutorial by adding the word "transparent" in the proper files, the white background disappeared. Hmmm, weird, eh?

Makes you wonder why mrpowless would even bother with such a tutorial?

Greetings from Germany

Spacer.gf is a transparent  gif image which is on top of your photo and has not affect on the background. Now setting background properties to  background-color:#transparent; is the same as removing the whole line background-color:#FFFFFF; .You dont have to use firebug or any additional tools to view the css , all you need to do highlight the part of the page in mozilla firefox right click and view selection source also you can right click on the photo and click view image to know that the spacer.gif is on top of the photo .

Quote · 21 Mar 2009

If you can't find the slution in the css files, the only thing that I can suggest, is to get yourself a good search/replace programm that allows you to include css php and html files as well as read subdirectories. Somewhere along the line you seem to have gerated a problem (inadvertently) that provides you with either/or excessively wide margins/padding where you don't want them. With the S&R software you could select to find each and every spacer.gif within a folder (as opposed to looking at one file at a time), such as templates or whatever ... and then you could use the generated file list in order to track down any spacer.gif with margins/padding in only those files that may have something to do with your problem.

I dunno, just a thought. I use S&R a lot to help me find stuff so that I can relate to a problem easier by being able to view a list of files that are associated with one another. Especially in dolphin, there are so many files that are related to one another that it can become quite overwhelming just digging through individual files. On the other hand, based on what mydatery said earlier, would it not be simpler to make some adjustments within orca ... to see if the problem can be resolved that way? Seems like that's where the problem is coming from ...

Greetings frm Germany

Quote · 21 Mar 2009

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. You're right, it's a problem within Orca. Well I noticed that it only happens when the member profile pictures are larger size, if they upload a smaller size it doesnt happen, but I dont want them to only be able to upload small pictures.....

So does anyone know how to make pictures in Orca appear as a default size? For instance, I want my members to be able to upload any photo size, but when they post in the forums, in orca, I want their avatar/photo to be shrunk down to a default size, so they are all the same small size.So I can avoid this problem.

I assume this should be in the Orca forum so I posted it in there, but I figured since you guys already took a look at it maybe you know the answer.

Thanks

Quote · 21 Mar 2009

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.