can i install dolphin on my own pc

As title asks can i install dolphin on my own pc (win10) reason being i had multiple hosts and have condensed my sites on to one host that has a vps. I made back up of complete site etc and exported database hoping once installed i would be able to copy over files and i would be back where i was- well nope installed ok but even after copying files over  still not the same some css not right modules not the same menu all different and lang files missing some stuff even after recompiling, what i was hoping to do was install my backup on my pc so i could compare files to get back to where i was. not worried about users/data etc just look and feel

thanks in advance

Quote · 11 Dec 2017

You shouldn't have any problem moving to VPS, but it will depend on how your host has set up apache and possibly other scripts. I used DigitalOcean and I had to modify my Apache settings to get Dolphin to run. Even then I struck problems so I went to Zarconia because their servers are basically "Dolphin ready".

You need to create a new database and copy the SQL from your previous database into it.

You then need to change /inc/header.inc.php to reflect all your file paths.

I've done it several times and it's always worked.

-----------------------------------

Yes you can run Dolphin on your PC, but some features won't work unless you change your PC server settings. For testing purposes, this isn't necessary, but you can't run cron job's or send emails plus a few other things.

I'm attaching a couple of tutorials.

Firstly, you need to set up a personal server on the PC. Use the first tutorial to do this. There are several personal servers available, but my tutorial uses Uniform Server. Please watch the version you download.

Secondly you need to install Dolphin. As mentioned above, you need to create a database and copy the SQL. Then you need to modify the /inc/header.inc.php file.

If you wish to do a new install, read my second tutorial. Or you can go to Softaculous and install AMMPS. That's another story.

Installing Dolphin on Your PC.pdf · 1.2M · 386 downloads
Quote · 11 Dec 2017

thanks
i did copy database over and edit
/inc/header.inc.php but still getting some issues i would have went with someone like Zarconia but have about 8 months left on this vps and other hosting is up in a few weeks so transferring over to my vps. I will double check my Apache settings and slowly  get it back together lol. if not will start over and just use my backup on pc to compare structure etc.

Thanks for instructions for setting up server on pc

Quote · 11 Dec 2017

just getting a blank page when i get to install dolphin, dont see the script to install but when i look at browser it says its in correct folder. says localhost/mylocalbizspace/install/index.php

Quote · 12 Dec 2017

got it installed, I  deleted everything started again now running on pc now to get my old site up and running on pc to compare and fix proper one on vps.

Quote · 12 Dec 2017

Great to hear it's working. Working from your PC saves hours if you're making changes to a template.

Quote · 12 Dec 2017

is it possible to restore my main nav menu layout/join form and layout of pages  from my backup of site on to my test server on pc?

Quote · 13 Dec 2017

You should be able to download your database by doing a phpMyadmin SQL export and a create a ZIP file of your entire site through File manager on your CPanel or Zpanel.

Import the database into your PC site's "new" database and unzip the files into your new site.

All you need to do is change /inc/header.inc.php and I'm enclosing an example for my PC site as reference.

It's always worked for me.

The items you need to change are Lines (APPROX):

3 - sitename

16 - sitename.com

18 - sitename

34 - localhost

37 - root

38 - root

39 DATABASE_NAME

Keep in mind that some features won't work, but you can upload photos, make comments etc. You probably can't create new members because of email restrictions, but there are ways around it.

header.inc.php · 7.1K · 328 downloads
Quote · 13 Dec 2017

hmm weird ive tried that but nothing worked maybe i didnt import database correctly or something hmm but never got any errors. will need to check again see what i am doing wrong.

thanks for info johnk42 

Quote · 13 Dec 2017

Are you starting the server properly? 

You have yo go to the server folder and start UniContoller.exe.

1. You should be asked to enter the MySql password "root" (see Image 1)

2. Start the server by clicking the Apache and MySql buttons. Both blobs should go green (image 2)

3. You should receive the splash screen (Image 3)

4. Enter localhost/yoursite.com in the address bar.

The server probably won't run if you have a firewall operating. Just kill the firewall while you use the server locally. Do this before you start the server.

uni1.jpg · 13.7K · 340 views
uni2.jpg · 29.3K · 327 views
uni3.jpg · 38.8K · 336 views
Quote · 13 Dec 2017

Hi johnk42  not the server its running no issue maybe i wasnt clear on what i was asking. Mysite is working on my pc  but even with importing database and copy over my entire sie from the backup and editing the header.inc.php file i still cant get it to look like it was on remote server.

my main nav menu is just like a brand new site

join php like a new site

some of language files are not the same others are

my pages are like the default not the way they were on remote site

basically most of the customization to menu/blocks/pages etc are like default

maybe it cant be copied over completely and i have to start over again not a major problem but dont see point in making backup of site if it doesnt copy over.

Quote · 14 Dec 2017

Provided you used your Cpanel or Zpanel's file manager to create a zip file and downloaded it to your Uniserver and you copied the SQL, both scripts should look the same. There's no reason why the script should revert to the default Dolphin script unless you're using a third party template that needs to be verified by the template owner.

it's essential that everything be copied from your server root (.htaccess included) to the uniserver www folder.

If it's working except for the look and feel, I think some CSS files may not have been transferred correctly.

Quote · 14 Dec 2017

i thought so to, so i deleted everything again reimported everything again this time i couldnt log in  no matter what user and pass nothing would work. even created new user in phpmyadmin wouldnt log in so there must be something i have done wrong somewhere. will need to resart again try and figure it out it must be something simple i misssed but no idea i probally will just re-do of memory and keep working on local server to figure it out as well. thanks for all help and info 

Quote · 14 Dec 2017

There are a few traps with Uniserver, but being a stand alone program, I may set it up properly for Dolphin and make it available on my web site. I'll look at it over the weekend.

Quote · 15 Dec 2017

There are a few traps with Uniserver, but being a stand alone program, I may set it up properly for Dolphin and make it available on my web site. I'll look at it over the weekend.

Quote · 15 Dec 2017

trying to get my local site up again but now i am running into error when importing sql from phpmyadmin see error below

There seems to be an error in your SQL query. The MySQL server error output below, if there is any, may also help you in diagnosing the problem.

ERROR: Unknown Punctuation String @ 15
STR: ><
SQL: <!DOCTYPE HTML><html lang='en' dir='ltr'><head><meta charset="utf-8" /><meta name="referrer" content="no-referrer" /><meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow" /><meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=Edge" /><style id="cfs-style">html{display: none;<!DOCTYPE HTML><html lang='en' dir='ltr'><head><meta charset="utf-8" /><meta name="referrer" content="no-referrer" /><meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow" /><meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=Edge" /><style id="cfs-style">html{display: none;<!DOCTYPE HTML><html lang='en' dir='ltr'><head><meta charset="utf-8" /><meta name="referrer" content="no-referrer" /><meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow" /><meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=Edge" /><style id="cfs-style">html{display: none;

SQL query:

<!DOCTYPE HTML><html lang='en' dir='ltr'><head><meta charset="utf-8" /><meta name="referrer" content="no-referrer" /><meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow" /><meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=Edge" /><style id="cfs-style">html{display: none;

MySQL said: Documentation
#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '<!DOCTYPE HTML><html lang='en' dir='ltr'><head><meta charset="utf-8" /><meta nam' at line 1 
Quote · 28 Dec 2017

You do have a lot of strange things happening. Just a couple of questions:

1. Are you exporting the database using the  "Quick - display only the minimal options" or custom options. in PHPMyAdmin? Always use the Quick option.
  2. Are you importing the database via the PHPMyAdmin? I ask this because you should receive a distinct RED screen saying there's an SQL error and the database will not load. If you get a message saying the database was imported successfully, the problem lies elsewhere. I'm not even sure where that error message is coming from, I don't have any code like it in my databases and syntax errors are coding errors.
  3. Have you set all your PHP.ini parameters and PHP extensions up correctly?
  4. Finally, what theme are you using?

Quote · 29 Dec 2017

Hi John

I used both options when exporting just to see if any difference but still the same.

Yes i am using phpmyadmin when exporting and importing

the error i posted was in red at top when importing sql, i just posted the error in code brackets to keep it in page cleaner

yes all php set up and working correctly that i know off as i can install a brand new dolphin with no issues

seems i will have to put this on hold as i have 5 modules that wont work as they have a key for my website and when install key it rejects so will need to speak with developer first to see if possible to install these on my local server if not then will be no use as i need them with custom template to work properly to edit site on local pc for the look and feel

Quote · 29 Dec 2017

I feel it's the custom template or one of the third party modules screwing things up. Try reverting to the Alt, or Evo templates via the custom template link at the bottom. Maybe they've switched the templates off but you can always try. If it doesn't work, do it via the dashboard.

On reading your opening post again, it seems you have the same issue on your VPS. That really makes me wonder. Maybe the template or the modules requiring passwords are screwing up the entire site because of the new server? You really need to find out who the culprit is and give them a serve. The password should only stop the module itself from working and you should be able to revert you back to the original Boonex module until the problem is fixed.

If you have modules from ilbellodelweb anything is likely to happen. All the modules I purchased from them stopped working when I created a clean site rather than updating. Severalemails and messages have been totally ignored. The wasted modules it in my junk folder as a reminder that third party vendors can sometimes be a law unto themselves. 

As it sounds like a third party problem, it's something we can't take further on this forum. Each third party has their own special forum accessible from their product page. Most, except the mob above seem to reply quickly and offer help.

Good luck, but I'd be removing modules one by one until the site works again. I'd start with the template because a third party module may not like it.

Can you PM me the name of the template and modules? I'll keep it to myself.

Quote · 29 Dec 2017

sent 

thx again for all the help

Quote · 29 Dec 2017

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.