language compilation can mess up the script ?

Hi all,

Playing with the language compilation from the admin panel it completely messed up the whole script.

I just wonder how one can recover from this without having to reinstall the script again.

I can’t login or navigate the site.

I get this message when opening the home page:

Warning: main(/home/username/public_html/my/langs/lang-roman.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/username/public_html/my/inc/languages.inc.php on line 33

Fatal error: main() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/username/public_html/my/langs/lang-roman.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/username/public_html/my/inc/languages.inc.php on line 33

I replaced the real username with “username”

Either something is wrong with my script or I don’t know, but this it shouldn’t happen,

messing up your script without direct file editing via ftp or mysql.

I just created a new languge, then compiled it (well at least I think so) and then set it up as default.

Anyone had been through this before?

Quote · 27 May 2008

for some reason new lang didnt get written..maybe permissions..

look in langs/lang-en.php copy it and name it lang-fr.php(2 letter lang code) or whatever you named the lang

then you can delete from admin and folder to start over

I have video tutorials to help you mrpowless.com
Quote · 28 May 2008

Just a thought- it seems to me that frequent database structure and content backups are a very good idea with Dolphin.  Maybe at  the end of each day's development- so you will at least never lose more than a days work.  I blew up my system 5 or 6 times with the previous version- from the control panel!  (remember Mrpowless- you tried to save me, but it was hopeless).   I don't want to be one of those jerks who says "did you back up" as soon as something bad happens, and I'm not even sure if it would have helped in this situation, but I thought I would mention it.

Rob

p.s.  While the Dophin database back up in the settings section, is very easy- I have actually never tried the "restore"  so I can't vouch for it, but I assume it works well.

Quote · 28 May 2008

Hello mrpowless and CALTRADE

Thanks a lot mrpowless, renaming the file did the trick!!!

I noticed that the other language stayed even If I renamed it or deleted it.

It disappeared only to reappear when refreshing.  However renaming it allowed me to access the admin panel and first I set the English language back as default and then I deleted that particular lang file and everything went back to normal.

Now I don’t have the guts to create a new language anymore Laughing

Any thoughts on that one?

As regarding the backup, yeah that is a “must” even though I didn’t do it because I just installed it.

The first thing I have to do is to change the default language, and then start working.

I just wonder…how  Undecided

Quote · 28 May 2008

I just fell in love with the "backup" in Cpanel... All I have to do is click it and then when it's done it will email me! My whole account, files, databases, email stuff... all in one .gz file that is outside of the public_html dir so I can d/l it at my leisure :-)

Not only is it a good idea because of Dolphin (it can break itself!!) but I know you have heard me whine about when that hacker hit me two months ago.. do you have any idea how long it took me to delete those damn files from EVERY 777 directory when I had 15 sites on ONE account!??! If I had a backup I would have just wiped the whole damn thing I restored it.

Mike

BoonEx Certified Host: Zarconia.net - Fully Supported Shared and Dedicated for Dolphin
Quote · 28 May 2008

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.