D7.1 Simple Spam Bot Stopper

This is a simple idea that has stopped the spam bots from spamming my site daily. It's an idea that has been around for a while, but there are enough new users here so I will post it. It adds a logical question and retains the reCaptcha feature for added security.

1) Go to Admin --> Builders --> Profile Fields  and drag a NEW_ITEM block up and put it just before the Captcha block.

2) Click on the block and add:

3) System Name  --> HumanCheck

4) Caption --> What is 4+5?

5) Description --> To complete the join form, you must prove your human and not a spam bot.

6) Select "Text" from drop down at the bottom,

7) Then click on Advanced tab on top,

8) Check "Mandatory"

9) Set min value to 1 and max value to 9

10) In the "Check" field put this: return strtolower($arg0) == '9';

Save.

humancheck0.png · 735.4K · 3404 views
humancheck1.png · 44.2K · 3076 views
humancheck2.png · 58K · 3028 views
humancheck3.png · 61.9K · 610 views
humancheck4.png · 95K · 3045 views
Quote · 28 Nov 2012

Thanks for this

Ultra Newb reporting for duty.
Quote · 28 Nov 2012

cool thank you....

hey for some reason i changed templates and now i cant seem to find how to turn of invitation only for when people want to join    it just dissapered  any suggestions

Quote · 17 Dec 2012

Admin >> Settings >> Advanced Settings >> Profiles >> "Enable registration by invitation only:"

Quote · 17 Dec 2012

cool! very useful!!! thanx!

Quote · 17 Dec 2012

i cant edit own blocks... why???

i can put new block, but i cant save it and i cant delete it... nothing, browsers chrome and firefox... same. Explorer is so shit that there dont work anything Laughing

Quote · 17 Dec 2012

I don't use the captcha. I got way too many spam bots. I have used another human verification method for Dolphin 7.0.9 with complete success in preventing bots from joining. I learned it from a programer on the DevelopPhp web site.  In the join form create a field that has a max value of 0 (zero).  Then set the defaullt value as "Delete this text"  Your caption can also instruct the user to delete the text in the box.  For some reason bots will not complete this correctly.  You will also want a Maximum exceed error message like "You did not delete the text in this box."

I have not yet tried splitting the form into two or more pages.

Love the screen shots. They make it pretty clear. My method is similar to above, but I just move the captcha block to inactive.  I hate trying to figure out what they are and so do my users.

Even smart people do stupid things.
Quote · 26 Jan 2013

This is known as a turing test.  I have used this on my standalone blog with great success and was interested in implementing it on Dolphin.  I hate Captcha.  Captcha has been broken; and it has been broken for some time now, so it is possible for bots to get by it.  I get messages from people trying to join telling me they can not get by the #$%!* image thing and why am I making the images so hard to read; they have to be impossible to read in order to be effective.

It would be nice to have a turing test built in where you could enter several questions that are randomly selected but this is fine as well, just go in and change the question/answer set at times.

Thanks for posting the tutorial on implementing a turing test on Dolphin.

Geeks, making the world a better place
Quote · 26 Jan 2013

This and many other ideas have already been discussed at length in a post

http://www.boonex.com/forums/topic/spam-spam-spam-spam-IDEA-.htm

I found the human test to be sufficient in keeping out all but the most ardent spammer.

http://towtalk.net ... Hosted by Zarconia.net!
Quote · 26 Jan 2013

This is a simple idea that has stopped the spam bots from spamming my site daily

tonymarek

Nice tutorial for those who haven't done this already.

I have done this a few month ago. No spammers since then....

"When things get tough the tough get going..."
Quote · 27 Jan 2013

Yes, it is still working well for me. I have had one human spammer and one bot in the past 5 months. Before that, I was getting 20+ bots daily.

This is a simple idea that has stopped the spam bots from spamming my site daily

tonymarek

Nice tutorial for those who haven't done this already.

I have done this a few month ago. No spammers since then....

Quote · 27 Jan 2013

This is a big help.  Now I can turn the auto-activation of blogs back on.  I wouldn't mind these bots if they were posting relevant content in my blogs lol

Outdoor Community
Quote · 27 Jan 2013

nice one ... +1

http://www.boonex.com/market/posts/paansystems - your resource for Dolphin Pro
Quote · 28 Jan 2013

A JavaScripted check box works wonders because java is client side so the checkbox is only rendered in the browser. Spambots can't even see it. Just needs a label like "I am a human".

Quote · 28 Jan 2013

edit by danielmarseille

write in the language of the forum, thank you

ON naît tous égaux, c'est la vie qui nous rend differents ...
Quote · 30 Jan 2013

how i can implement this for mutiple language?

return strtolower($arg0) == '9';

www.tumundo247.com - www.rampletea.com - www.clasificadosnetwork.com
Quote · 2 Feb 2013

Money saving with this free mod, thanks!  Laughing

If i should have known about it before buying the $40 DLS one at the market; too late now. Cry

Quote · 3 Feb 2013

anyone?

Quote · 3 Feb 2013

Phan

anyone?

Not sure what your asking here.

the above is to check to see if the new member is putting in the answer which is 9.

You have to ask the answer.. in your language, 

e.g. "3 veces 3 es igual a qué?"  9

Now for multiple languages, I suggest your implementing the google translate button to your site, there is no way to do this unless you have all the language packs your wanting on site.

http://www.boonex.com/forums/topic/Translate-your-dolphin-site-into-52-languages-easy.htm

ManOfTeal.COM a Proud UNA site, six years running strong!
Quote · 3 Feb 2013

Yes but I don't use google transl I have Spanish and English where I create or how I create the key for the question. and take that field to a next level I mean for multi-language

Phan

anyone?

Not sure what your asking here.

the above is to check to see if the new member is putting in the answer which is 9.

You have to ask the answer.. in your language, 

e.g. "3 veces 3 es igual a qué?"  9

Now for multiple languages, I suggest your implementing the google translate button to your site, there is no way to do this unless you have all the language packs your wanting on site.

http://www.boonex.com/forums/topic/Translate-your-dolphin-site-into-52-languages-easy.htm

Quote · 3 Feb 2013

this has suddenly stopped having any effect now as back getting 30+ spambots a day, even though this is still displayed on the sign up form

https://niceday-hosting.co.uk | http://northumberlandfriends.co.uk |http://kids-tv.net
Quote · 27 Mar 2013

This is easy and no Spam Bots Ever. In the Builders/Profile Fields/Join Form  Fields builder Create a new field that has the settings shown in the scheen shots attached to this post

Form General.JPG · 42.3K · 696 views
Form Advanced.JPG · 36.2K · 678 views
Form Messages.JPG · 38.4K · 668 views
Form Matching.JPG · 19.4K · 601 views
Even smart people do stupid things.
Quote · 13 Apr 2013

i just put a question like this: The apple is a fruit or Vegetal?

and i not received 1 bot more.

This is easy and no Spam Bots Ever. In the Builders/Profile Fields/Join Form  Fields builder Create a new field that has the settings shown in the scheen shots attached to this post

Quote · 14 Apr 2013

I've heard about this before and it sounds like a great idea. Will try it.

Quote · 2 Jun 2013

It works!

I've been using the question deal for a couple months now and haven't have any bots register. and is free, don't have to pay for expensive spam stoper mods, just create the question like the instructions here say.

Quote · 2 Jun 2013

Hello everyone

Please help me it is not working for my site please help http://guitarelements.com is my site

Quote · 7 Sep 2013

Ive noticed something odd in one site, not sure if some file permission may be wrong to allow this...

I have set to 'invitation only', put captcha, human test, email confirmation etc... and still I get countless spam accounts joining daily!!! They cant do anything as the site is set to emails have to be confirmed.

However, they are still able to bypass the entire join checks and insert themselves as members!

Maybe some direct injection to database? 

Not seen this before on any dolphin site, just one that Ive had on the shelf for some time and returned to.

Quote · 7 Sep 2013

Hi

I use SMTP Mailer instead of the default PHP Mailer.

It is set for "authentication"

The new sign up must verify email on sign up

Also generate random password instead of letting the sign-up choosing a password

I use this on all Joomla and Wordpress sites and it works for Dolphin too.

OpCo UK
Quote · 10 Jan 2014

this worked for a while but spammers are back!

Quote · 4 Mar 2014

Has anyone else tried Incapsula?

Whenever I've mentioned it on other posts I feel like I'm talking to a mirror.

It's a free proxy that removes all bots, spam and human bots, and has black and white lists for good measure.

Recaptcha is not needed.

No bots even reach your site, which can account for 80% of all traffic.

It has additional techniques for speeding up your site.

You don't need robots.txt. You can nominate which web crawlers you want to allow access to your site. You cannot do this with robots.txt

It's free. No, this is not a paid advertisement. Smile

There's a paid version which prevents DDOS attacks and more.

Cheers,

Rod

Rod | www.mystampworld.net | hosted with BoonexHosting.com
Quote · 4 Mar 2014

Incapsula features look interesting... though I'm not sure whether I'd pay for their services... at least not until I had a busy site that could afford it and needed it.  How do (did?) you like using their "free plan"... any compelling reason to use it?  

-- Paul

Has anyone else tried Incapsula?

http://pkforum.dolphinhelp.com
Quote · 4 Mar 2014

For me, this is compelling enough to use the free version:

The free version:

Rod | www.mystampworld.net | hosted with BoonexHosting.com
Quote · 4 Mar 2014

Thank you sir for this security suggest and I did exactly the procedure save for the question. I changed it to "How much is 3x2?". However, when I tried to JOIN a new user the form says there's an error but my answer is correct: 6

Can you check where did I go wrong please? Thanks sirs.

humancheck1.jpg · 187.5K · 1187 views
humancheck2.jpg · 183.6K · 1227 views
humancheck3.jpg · 288.8K · 1190 views
Quote · 24 Sep 2014

i just installed this and it worked for my site.

great add and hoping to stop spam

iff2in

Quote · 29 Aug 2015

For the past several months since upgrading to D7.2.1, each of my sites had been consistently getting 5-10 spam signups per day. They even confirm via email too. So manually deleting them had become a pain in the ass. (Yes, I use Captcha plus I require fields like Country, State/Province, City, Birthday, M/F, and 1 custom question based on my niche ).

After reading this thread last week, I added a field to my join form: RUHUMAN.

I started with the question: What is 4 plus 5?

Spam continued unabated.

I changed the question to: What is 5 minus 2?

Spam continued unabated.

I then changed the question to: Is an apple a fruit or a vegetable?
(thank you phan for that idea!)

No spam signups since. Not even one.

Hope this can help others.

Quote · 4 Jan 2016

Nice one. Thanks for this.

Quote · 4 Jul 2020

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.