Help us decide on the name. Talks, Messages, Chat?

As you may know our team is not exactly "natively" English-speaking, so we need your help in deciding on how to (re)name the Dolphin's messaging module. As we've noted before, we're working one a big makeover, and it is likely to incorporate functionality of one-to-one internal messenger, group messenger, mailer and potentially even chat. We're still talking about mostly text-conversations, but audio/video capability is not far behind, so... 

Let us know what do you think SOUNDS good to your ear and tells the story right. For example "Talks" may sound flashy, but perhaps is more associated with actual verbal conversation, while Messenger is descriptive, but is a tad long for menus and overused in general... chat - informal, but clear...? What's your take? Other options? 

Heart Head Hands
2 Apr 2014

How about 'The Communicator' or 'In Touch'. Just a couple I think of as I read your post ;)

2 Apr 2014

Convo.

Inconvo.

Guynuked -- Dedicated server and Dolphin-friendly hosting with Zarconia.net
2 Apr 2014

In Texas we call it 'Bullshit'.  You have to admit, the 'Boonex Bullshitter' module has a nice ring to it.  Might not work for those church sites though.

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
2 Apr 2014

We actually want to know if the word "Talk" applies for text (non-verbal) conversations in any way - formal or informal ?

Rules → http://www.boonex.com/terms
2 Apr 2014

sure it does ... text is talking! just not verbally ..

We actually want to know if the word "Talk" applies for text (non-verbal) conversations in any way - formal or informal ?

DedicatedServer4You.com -- BIGGEST Range of Dedicated Servers at the Lowest Price!
2 Apr 2014

+1 for Convo

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine...
2 Apr 2014

Talk is verbal. According to most sign languages (such as American, Australian, British, French, German, Icelandic, Polish, Romanian, Russian Swedish, Turkish, Ukrainian... to name a few). Also I looked "talk"... speak, verbalise, voice, vocalise are all over in the dictionary/thesaurus.

Moreover, I rarely seen any deaf person signing "talk" unless they're about hard-of-hearing and/or hearing people. Common terms among the deaf are chat, communicate, converse, convo, message, text, and type.

2 Apr 2014

my daughter is hearing impaired, and she signs 'Talk' all the time. Like 'I am talking to Mom' (in sign language), or 'I want to talk to my dad', etc. But, in general terms, most may apply Talk to verbal conversations, and not text conversations.

But, for a term that makes it totally clear, "Text Chat". That leaves no room for misinterpretation.

caredesign.net
2 Apr 2014

2+ For " Convo "

2 Apr 2014

my daughter is hearing impaired, and she signs 'Talk' all the time. Like 'I am talking to Mom' (in sign language), or 'I want to talk to my dad', etc. But, in general terms, most may apply Talk to verbal conversations, and not text conversations.
But, for a term that makes it totally clear, "Text Chat". That leaves no room for misinterpretation.

I agree with ProfessorSr Text Chat is better. My GF is hearing impaired too and in dutch lan. they use the word chat or text chat.

2 Apr 2014

Chat/Text Chat could be confused with a regular chat

I would say along the lines of PMs or Messages.  Calling it email might confuse some with external emails.

Currently on my site members can PM/Email each other and include rich content of images, sounds, and videos through simple embedding; so it will be interesting to see how Boonex has changed it.

Geeks, making the world a better place
2 Apr 2014

How about 'Personal Messaging System', or for short PMS.

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
2 Apr 2014

How about "Babel"

2 Apr 2014

We are fine with just "chat" - you can chat over the phone, sms, IM, email, messenger and similar other mediums.

Facebook, Twitter & Instagram Combo - http://bit.ly/1h5CarP
2 Apr 2014

Andrew, is this mainly to 'upgrade' the messaging system, or the main chat module?

2 Apr 2014

Communications

yes, I searched before asking....
2 Apr 2014

Andrew, is this mainly to 'upgrade' the messaging system, or the main chat module?

"We're still talking about mostly text-conversations, but audio/video capability is not far behind, so... "

Seems to me it is regarding the simple messenger (text chat) with thoughts on improving video chat to come later.

caredesign.net
2 Apr 2014

How about 'Personal Messaging System', or for short PMS

Quality!

2 Apr 2014

TChat | tChat | T-Chat | t-chat | (t)chat ... for text chat/messaging

VChat | vChat | V-Chat | v-chat | (v)chat ... for video messaging

http://pkforum.dolphinhelp.com
2 Apr 2014

+1 for this! Also common American slang for message is mess. So the "Dolphin mess system" would be good. Or "Chit" as in chit chat.. like the "Dolphin Chit System".

How about 'Personal Messaging System', or for short PMS.

BoonEx Certified Host: Zarconia.net - Fully Supported Shared and Dedicated for Dolphin
3 Apr 2014

Heck, now I have no idea what they are planning on upgrading LOL.

3 Apr 2014

I'm in favor of simply Chat.

BoonEx Certified Host: Zarconia.net - Fully Supported Shared and Dedicated for Dolphin
3 Apr 2014

Labels like "hearing impaired" is rejected in Deaf culture.

I like Convo (or plural Convos). Chat could work too.

3 Apr 2014

-100 for convo.

+1 for chirp.

Rod | www.mystampworld.net | hosted with BoonexHosting.com
3 Apr 2014

First we had it as Messages, but wanted to change to Talk, but worried that Talk was more for "verbal". Now, with your input, Chat is one option, then Convo (huh? isn't it only Aussie talk?). We would really like a short but descriptive word. So, keep ideas and opinions flowing, while we're working on it!

Heart Head Hands
3 Apr 2014

First we had it as Messages, but wanted to change to Talk, but worried that Talk was more for "verbal". Now, with your input, Chat is one option, then Convo (huh? isn't it only Aussie talk?). We would really like a short but descriptive word. So, keep ideas and opinions flowing, while we're working on it!

What module are we talking about here, the simple one on one chat module or the email/personal message module?

3 Apr 2014

one-to-one internal messenger, group messenger, mailer and potentially even chat

audio/video capability is not far behind

Intercom

3 Apr 2014

Yeah, me either .... are we talking about the main chat room OR messenger / simple chat ?

Heck, now I have no idea what they are planning on upgrading LOL.

DedicatedServer4You.com -- BIGGEST Range of Dedicated Servers at the Lowest Price!
3 Apr 2014

It's more like internal personal messenger, as stated by Andrew - "... it is likely to incorporate functionality of one-to-one internal messenger, group messenger, mailer and potentially even chat."

What module are we talking about here, the simple one on one chat module or the email/personal message module?

Rules → http://www.boonex.com/terms
3 Apr 2014

Yes, mostly think about internal Messenger... but it has capability for a few people to be in one conversation, so it may as well extend to include pre-formed "groups", and essentially, work as a typical group-chat. 

Personally, I am starting to lean towards "convo" as well. At least here in Australia people seem to "get it" and like it when I ask. 

Heart Head Hands
3 Apr 2014

All too complicated. Take it from a real American, we don't want to expend any undue energy figuring shit out.

for person to person, a simple 'Chat Me!' would suffice. If it's a group thang, just ('sitename' Chat) works fine as well.....

Talk is Talk, (like voice communication), text is text, like a text message and chat is chat, like electronically speaking to each other in real time

http://towtalk.net ... Hosted by Zarconia.net!
3 Apr 2014

RE:

Personally, I am starting to lean towards "convo" as well.

Perhaps the trouble is that you are looking for a single word to define a system with multiple capabilities, and there isn't a single word that covers everything.  Perhaps you should be looking for an acronym.  For instance:

CAVE --- Chat Audio Video Email

ACTIVE       Audio Chat Text Im Video Email

TEACH  -- Text Email Audio CHat

MATCH  -- Message Audio Text CHat

EVICT       Email Video Im Chat Text

4 Apr 2014

KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid.

If we are talking about the Boonex internal mail system then it does not really need to do more than it does now.  I have already added a module from the market that will allow members to mail all their friends at once.  I added an embed button so members can attach videos to the posts and of course images and smileys.  I added a module from the market for threaded views of the emails.  Done!

The Swish Army Knife approach is the wrong approach.  Yes, it has a hundred different uses but they are almost useless and it makes a lousy knife.

4 Apr 2014

MIC    --   Mail Im Chat

MIC is also short for microphone, so it fits

4 Apr 2014

To me, it just seems so simple. Get rid of the simple messenger. Rename Video Chat on Profile page to just Chat. Using that button, if anyone wants to text and/or video chat one-on-one, this can be accomplished. Just add the capability to invite more users to that chat session.

caredesign.net
4 Apr 2014

All too complicated. Take it from a real American, we don't want to expend any undue energy figuring shit out.

for person to person, a simple 'Chat Me!' would suffice. If it's a group thang, just ('sitename' Chat) works fine as well.....

Talk is Talk, (like voice communication), text is text, like a text message and chat is chat, like electronically speaking to each other in real time

I'll second that...

Check my GeoDistance, Watermark, TorBlock and Android Push Notifications mods | http://goo.gl/H3Vp81
4 Apr 2014

CAVE --- Chat Audio Video Email
ACTIVE       Audio Chat Text Im Video Email
TEACH  -- Text Email Audio CHat
MATCH  -- Message Audio Text CHat
EVICT       Email Video Im Chat Text

Very resourceful. I see the word "Chat" in every acronym, so there's something to it.

Heart Head Hands
7 Apr 2014

LOL. Some funny acronyms. Should not be seriously considered.

BitCH -- Boonex CHat                                   (What the boonex fourms are use for quite often.)

DItCH -- DolphIn CHat

DuMpSTEr -- Dolphin Messaging SysTEm   (Where some people want put put dolphin at times.)

Anyhow. I think you should just go with something simple. Like Chat.

https://www.deanbassett.com
7 Apr 2014

if that the case you can use "Whisper" or "Query" is a old fashion private message in Chat Servers

It's more like internal personal messenger, as stated by Andrew - "... it is likely to incorporate functionality of one-to-one internal messenger, group messenger, mailer and potentially even chat."

www.tumundo247.com - www.rampletea.com - www.clasificadosnetwork.com
7 Apr 2014

Simply "chat"   Once it's opened they can figure out what style of chat.

People down in Gungellen might convo, but Americans don't do convo  and we also drive on the right side of the road.

7 Apr 2014

how about Buzzer, your friend have buzzed u .

Umar Haroon
7 Apr 2014

You could just call it 'Wave', after that Google thing.  Why reinvent the wheel, when you can steal someone else's wheel?

7 Apr 2014

What about Parler or Parlez (french for speak)

caredesign.net
7 Apr 2014

"Inkulumo" is Zulu for talk, that'll work right?

7 Apr 2014

What about ThisTopicIsUseless or SomeRandomNameFromTopOfTheHead or UseSomethingSimpleAndMoveOn

so much to do....
7 Apr 2014

Hmmm... something simple.  I think I got it.  Let's call it:

YO!

7 Apr 2014

RE:

What about Parler or Parlez (french for speak)

Geezus... a French word??   Don't make me come looking for you.

7 Apr 2014

we also drive on the right side of the road.

Some may say you drive on the wrong side of the road LOL. :-)

8 Apr 2014

OK, how about this one.

Boonex Blabble

Blab + Babel

lol :)

8 Apr 2014
8 Apr 2014

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.