PKForum: first preview... an alternative to Orca - part 3

15 Mar 2014

Prashank and I updated the PKForum test site with the latest changes and now invite everyone in the BoonEx community to visit.  Please create an account and see if you like what we have so far.  We think we're very close to having a new Dolphin Forum module ready for everyone with a D7.1 site to use.  The test site can be found at: http://pkforum.dolphinhelp.com.  

After you've created an account and logged in you will see member-only info for how you can access the Admin settings for the PKForum module.  You'll be able to make config changes... please put them back once you've finished playing with the settings.  Send us your feedback privately or leave your comments in the new forum... thank you!

Note: your new account will be automatically activated... no email confirmation.  So you can log in immediately.

Paul :-)

http://pkforum.dolphinhelp.com
15 Mar 2014

413 Request Entity Too Large

http://pkforum.dolphinhelp.com/m/forums/add_topic/?Cat=5

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
15 Mar 2014

Got that error when I tried to make a post.  Only tried 3 paragraphs of dummy text with a 2mb photo attachment,  Also, there didn't seem to be a way to delete an attachment once it was selected.

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
15 Mar 2014

@HL... thank you for the feedback... I've added a couple of "bug" issues to our bitbucket list. 

15 Mar 2014

@HL,

The file attachment file size is a limitation beyond the control of the PKForum code... it's determined by the server setup.

Regarding not being able to remove an attachment (without canceling the post)... I see that's true but for the first attachment only.  I vaguely remember discussing this with Prashank several months ago but seems I forgot to add an issue to our bitbucket list so it could be resolved.  I'll do that ASAP, thank you.

--- Paul

15 Mar 2014

Some really useful 'upgrade' features with this over Orca and much needed.

Can you give an estimate on when it might be released? Just that Im soon to launch a site that has forum central to its structure! Would prefer to delay it in order to use this, than launch it without having to switch forums just after launch!

will it be days, weeks, or ....months! :-)

15 Mar 2014

Don't worry about that error, HL. Its on DO server and i just installed everything but didn't put any time to configure it to run properly, maybe because, i never wanted to run it forever, its just temporary setup. You would't have that error on your server if you configured your server properly and you if your other modules works fine ;)

so much to do....
15 Mar 2014

Maybe is a good idea to insert "Preview Post" before submiting post, if it's possible... I guess there's a lot of work, maybe in the future you will add it. In any case, this is something that I can not wait to see on my site...

15 Mar 2014

Also, there didn't seem to be a way to delete an attachment once it was selected.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=431098

Firefox is getting more buggier and unstable these days.

EDIT: On IE too, so looking for a fix now...

so much to do....
15 Mar 2014

Some really useful 'upgrade' features with this over Orca and much needed.

Can you give an estimate on when it might be released? Just that Im soon to launch a site that has forum central to its structure! Would prefer to delay it in order to use this, than launch it without having to switch forums just after launch!

will it be days, weeks, or ....months! :-)

There will be an import function that will import your Orca boards and posts.

Geeks, making the world a better place
15 Mar 2014

Maybe is a good idea to insert "Preview Post" before submiting post, if it's possible... I guess there's a lot of work, maybe in the future you will add it. In any case, this is something that I can not wait to see on my site...

@ I've added your suggestion to our new feature ideas list... for a future upgrade... thank you :-) 

15 Mar 2014

epaulo said: @ Rod: answers are 1>yes, 2>yes, 3>yes, 4>no, and 'yes' to access... please send me a private message with your email address and I'll send you some login info for testing. Thank you, Paul :-)

1. a homepage block, with recent forum posts, showing user's avatar, post preview, date posted...

2. the lightning bolt next to unread posts

3. ability for user to view posts for a topic oldest or newest first

4. forum search integrated with site search

Can I have access to the test site to give it a spin?

Thanks,

Rod

Hi Paul, 

1. I understand the correct response was 'no' here. Is the homepage block with recent forum posts available with the first release?

3. I understand the correct response was 'no' here. Can you indicate when users will be able to do this? 

4. Can you indicate when this will be available? Every module should be part of the site search (and is, apart from the forum), otherwise well, it's not a site search! This is just a keyword search so should be simple to implement. Without it the forum module will still feel like a standalone tack-on.  :)

I will be very happy to purchase your revitalised forum module, but I need these features. Thanks, Rod

Rod | www.mystampworld.net | hosted with BoonexHosting.com
15 Mar 2014

1. a homepage block, with recent forum posts, showing user's avatar, post preview, date posted...

--> Is the homepage block with recent forum posts available with the first release?

3. ability for user to view posts for a topic oldest or newest first

--> Can you indicate when users will be able to do this?

4. forum search integrated with site search

--> Can you indicate when this will be available?

#1... the option to add a Latest Posts block on the homepage has been added... check out http://pkforum.dolphinhelp.com

#3 ... an option for each site user to control whether a topic's posts are listed from oldest to newest or visa versa will not be added to the initial release nor is it being considered for the second release.  At this point in time you are the only person to request such a feature and it's not a simple thing to add.

#4 ... we have no plans to integrate the forum search with the site search for the first release... but we are considering it for the second release. 

--- Paul

15 Mar 2014

Thanks Paul, then it seems like I need to wait a while. Undecided

Regarding 3. Sorry, but I don't understand your reasoning with this. You've implemented it at the admin level, for the admin to choose which sequence posts should appear, but don't you see that's a useless option? Who cares what the admin's preference is, when it's the users preference that matters. I am saying that in this case the option has been ill conceived and should be addressed properly, as it is on popular forum software such as phpBB (see attached for phpBB user display preferences).

Regarding 4, I guess I'm a little disappointed that this cannot be included with the initial release, as it's just a few lines of code. I have a different mind set here. I see it as a bug not being part of site search, it's that simple. You need to support the existing Dolphin features, and this is the first search that new users to a site will use.

Please don't see this as criticism per se, sometimes I'm just a bit blunt when I'm passionate about something. Smile

phpBBoptions.jpg · 82.9K · 461 views
15 Mar 2014

JuSt ChEcKiNg In.........

How we doin on a beta release?Cool

http://towtalk.net ... Hosted by Zarconia.net!
25 Mar 2014

Beta is already released. We are not gonna release it the wild tho, our public release will be a stable version.

so much to do....
25 Mar 2014

any estimated ETA?

Beta is already released. We are not gonna release it the wild tho, our public release will be a stable version.

yes, I searched before asking....
26 Mar 2014

Mobile,Mobile,Mobile

The usage of www is changing rapidly, cause of that i think its much needed that forums could be accesible via the mobile apps. 

Greetz and keep up the awesome work

27 Mar 2014

@FFP Mult: should be soon... we're working on one final major feature... moderator notifications... to make sure it's working as we'd planned it.  Once that's passed the testing phase we'll be able to provide a good estimate for when PKForum will be ready for the Market. Laughing

any estimated ETA?

27 Mar 2014

awesomesauce

@FFP Mult: should be soon... we're working on one final major feature... moderator notifications... to make sure it's working as we'd planned it.  Once that's passed the testing phase we'll be able to provide a good estimate for when PKForum will be ready for the Market. Laughing

any estimated ETA?

yes, I searched before asking....
28 Mar 2014

mark this. I am planning a new site with forum based and this looks like the solution.

28 Mar 2014

By the way, if this forum can translate into other languages that would be a big plus. Because I notice most of Dolphin webmasters are not English speakers (originally).

28 Mar 2014

By the way, if this forum can translate into other languages that would be a big plus. Because I notice most of Dolphin webmasters are not English speakers (originally).

It uses lang keys for everything on frontend, so why not...

so much to do....
28 Mar 2014

Here's a list I've concocted using phpBB's features that I'm hoping the PKForum folks can look at and update. To make it easy, each feature is prepended with Osho|PKForum:

By changing instances to red (not supported) or green (supported) in colour, like this

Osho|PKForum   or   Osho|PKForum   or   Osho|PKForum   or   Osho|PKForum 

and re-posting here, we'll have a great feature comparison list. Everything I've missed can be added too. Smile

General features General

Licensed under the GPLv2

Osho|PKForum: is open source, licensed under Version 2 of the GNU GPL.

Written in PHP

Osho|PKForum: is written in the PHP programming language.

Basic Features Basic Features

UTF-8 Support

Osho|PKForum: is fully compatible with UTF-8 and uses it as the default character encoding.

XHTML 1.0 Strict Compliant

Osho|PKForum: complies 100% with the W3C specifications for XHTML 1.0 Strict.

User Preferences

Osho|PKForum: offers a completely modularised User Control Panel to give users full control over their account on the board. See the Users section for more details.

Moderation

Osho|PKForum: provides tools in order to moderate your board. See the Moderators section for details.

Administration

Osho|PKForum: provides an Administration Control Panel which allows you to configure and customise  your board. See the Administration section for details.

Search Engine Spider Handling

Osho|PKForum: comes pre-loaded with configuration for the most common spiders and optimises your board when they visit. 

Unread Message Tracking

Osho|PKForum: keeps track of the topics and posts users have and have not read, including between sessions.

Private Message System

Osho|PKForum: allows Users  to send messages to one another directly via the board. See the Private Messaging section for details.

PostingPosting

Flat Topic Structure

Osho|PKForum: utilises a flat topic and post structure, rather than threaded.

tinyMCE

Osho|PKForum: allows users to format their posts, insert images and links, and post emoticons using the tinyMCE editor.

Osho|PKForum: images can be uploaded or linked when using the tinyMCE editor.

Attachments

Osho|PKForum: provides the ability to post multiple attachments to posts.

Osho|PKForum: the types and size of files allowed to be posted is fully configurable within the ACP.

Quick Reply

Osho|PKForum: provides a simple posting box on the board to facilitate faster replies to topics without having to load the Posting page.

Smilies & Emoticons

Osho|PKForum: supports smilies. :D

Osho|PKForum:  you also have the option of adding custom smilies.

Quoting

Osho|PKForum: allows users to quote another user's post within their own.

Osho|PKForum: supports nested quoting, as well.

Word Censors

Osho|PKForum: allows you to implement word censors and language filters to automatically eliminate or replace choice words or phrases.

Syntax Highlighting

Osho|PKForum: when placing code within a post using BBCode, can automatically highlight the syntax to make it easier to read.

Post Drafts

Osho|PKForum: allows users to save unfinished posts to their Drafts so they can finish them later.

Polls

Osho|PKForum: offers a configurable Polling feature for topics.

Osho|PKForum: Multiple polling options as well as time limits can be set.

Osho|PKForum: users can be allowed or disallowed to change their vote at a later time.

Osho|PKForum: users can only vote once.

Beaten-to-Posting Review

Osho|PKForum: if another user posts a reply while a user was typing theirs, the user will be notified so that they can make changes to the post if necessary.

Posting Preview

Osho|PKForum: users have the option of previewing how their post will appear before submitting it.

AttachmentsAttachments

Automatic Image Thumbnails

Osho|PKForum: for larger images, will automatically create a thumbnail when placing the image in the post to keep things looking neat.

Attachment Types

Osho|PKForum: can control what type of files and which extensions are permitted to be uploaded to the board.

Multiple Attachments

Osho|PKForum: multiple attachments can be placed in a single post.

Osho|PKForum: the exact number is configurable in the ACP.

Attachment Placement

Osho|PKForum: place links to the attachments anywhere in the body of the post, not just at the end.

ForumsForums

Categories

Osho|PKForum: uses categories as organisational containers which house the individual forums.

Password Protected Forums

Osho|PKForum: require a unique password to be entered in order for any user to access a single forum.

Forum-specific Styles

Osho|PKForum: can set individual forums to use a different installed style.

URL Redirect Forums

Osho|PKForum: makes a forum link directly to a specified URL instead of the forum itself.

Forum Rules

Osho|PKForum:  can customise and display forum rules at the top of a single forum or globally across the board.

Subforums

Osho|PKForum: allows for an unlimited number of subforums in the hierarchical structure.

Last Post

Osho|PKForum: will list who made the last post in a particular topic and when it was made on the forum's page.

Forum Pruning

Osho|PKForum: provides options for pruning old or inactive topics using custom conditions.

Osho|PKForum: this can be a one-time action or be done automatically.

Display Active Topics

Osho|PKForum: a list of the most active topics in a forum can be displayed in a separate container at the top of the forum.

Subscribe to Forums & Topics

Osho|PKForum: users have the ability to subscribe to individual topics or entire forums so that they can be notified of any new topics or posts made.

Bookmark Topics

Osho|PKForum: users have the ability to bookmark topics that interest them for quick access at a later time.

Topic & Post Sorting

Osho|PKForum: users have the ability to change the order in which topics and posts are displayed, such as oldest to newest,

Osho|PKForum:  or alphabetical order,

Osho|PKForum: or by the number of replies.

Topic Participation Tracking

Osho|PKForum: users will see an indicator next to topics in which they have posted.

Print & Email Topic

Osho|PKForum: creates a custom formatted page that is printer-friendly.

Osho|PKForum: users also have the option to email a topic to their friends.

UsersUsers

Signatures

Osho|PKForum: Each user can customise their own signature.

Osho|PKForum: if avatars are enabled, each user can customise their own.

Ranks

Osho|PKForum: user and group specific ranks are available and fully customisable.

Osho|PKForum: ranks display under a user's username in a post or in their profile.

Users Online List

Osho|PKForum: can list all of the users who are currently online

Osho|PKForum: or have signed in during a specified period of time.

User Preferences & Profile Settings

Osho|PKForum: Individual users can customise their board preferences, such as the way the board looks,

Osho|PKForum: the sorting of topics,

Osho|PKForum: the language used.

Osho|PKForum: users can customise their profile and add additional information such as an email address or IM accounts.

Manage Saved Drafts

Osho|PKForum: saved PM or post drafts are able to be edited from within the User Control Panel.

Manage Bookmarks & Subscriptions

Osho|PKForum: Users can view a list of their bookmarks and subscriptions from within their control panel and unsubscribe if desired.

Custom Profile Fields

Osho|PKForum: supports an assortment of profile fields (such as AIM/WLM/ICQ accounts),

Osho|PKForum: board owners have the option to add completely custom profile fields.

Friend/Foe List

Osho|PKForum: users can decide to add a particular user to their friend or foes list, enabling fine tuning of whose posts they see while browsing the board.

ModeratorsModerators

Global Moderators

Osho|PKForum: a Global Moderator immediately has access to moderation tasks for all forums on the board.

Forum Moderators

Osho|PKForum: Moderators can be assigned to individual forums on a per-user or per-group basis.

Posts/Reports Moderation Queue

Osho|PKForum: Moderators have quick access to a list of any post needing approval or posts which users have reported, and can deal with it efficiently.

Topic History

Osho|PKForum: Moderators have access to a full log of a topic's history, such as when it was approved, locked, or moved to another forum.

Forum Topic Logs

Osho|PKForum: Moderators have access to logs of actions that took place in an entire forum or on a per-topic basis.

Post Editing

Osho|PKForum: Moderators can have the ability to edit the contents of a user's post.

Post Locking

Osho|PKForum: Moderators can lock individual posts so that the original author cannot edit it any longer.

Post Details

Osho|PKForum: Moderators have access to view details about a particular post, such as the IP address used while posting.

Change Post Author

Osho|PKForum: Moderators can change the author of a particular post from one user to another.

Move Topics

Osho|PKForum: Moderators have the ability to move any number of posts to a new forum.

Osho|PKForum: selecting and moving multiple topics at once is supported.

Merge Topics/Posts

Moderators have the ability to merge two topics together or only merge selected posts from one topic into another.

Split Topics

Osho|PKForum: Moderators can split a topic into two separate topics, deciding which posts stay and which go.

Lock Topics

Osho|PKForum: individual topics can be locked so that regular users can no longer reply or edit their posts.

Delete Topics

Osho|PKForum: Moderators can permanently delete a topic and all of its replies from the board.

Global Topics/Announcements

Osho|PKForum: Moderators can create topics which are present as announcements in all forums on the board.

Copy Topics

Osho|PKForum: Moderators can duplicate a topic to another forum.

Announcement/Sticky Topics

Osho|PKForum: announcement topics having their own section at the top of the list of topics.

Osho|PKForum: stickies are less prominent, but still remain at the top of the forum no matter when the last post was made.

Manage Bans and Warnings

Osho|PKForum: Moderators who have permissions to issue and remove bans can do so from within a Moderator Control Panel.

Osho|PKForum: from here, moderators can also issue and edit warnings.

User Notes

Osho|PKForum: Moderators can keep a log of notes on a particular user which only other moderators can see.

UsergroupsUsergroups

Group Types

Osho|PKForum: offers several type of groups: Hidden (only members can see it), 

Osho|PKForum: Closed (everyone can see it, but users must manually be added), 

Osho|PKForum: Open (anyone can join),

Osho|PKForum: Request (users can request to be added by the Group Leader).

Multiple Group Leaders

Osho|PKForum: supports the option to make multiple users the leaders of a group.

Custom Group Colours

Osho|PKForum: users in a particular group can have their usernames set to a configurable colour.

Group Ranks & Avatars

Osho|PKForum: custom ranks and avatars can be set to display for all members in a particular group.

Group-based Memberlist Display

Osho|PKForum: can show a list of users based on their groups from within the memberlist.

Private MessagingPrivate Messaging

Custom PM Folders

Osho|PKForum: users can create custom PM folders and create a set of filters/rules to automatically sort PMs.

Multiple Recipients

Osho|PKForum: private messages can be sent to more than one user at a time.

Send Blind Carbon Copies (BCC)

Osho|PKForum: private messages can be Blind Carbon Copied to a set of users. To these users, it will appear as if they are the only recipient.

Send to Groups

Osho|PKForum: PMs can be sent all users in a particular usergroup.

Address Book

Osho|PKForum: U\users can quickly send a PM to someone in their friends list.

Message Drafts

Osho|PKForum: unfinished PMs can be saved as drafts and, just like posts, can be edited and sent later.

Export Messages

Osho|PKForum: private messages can be exported for archiving purposes.

Attachments in PMs

Osho|PKForum: just like posts, attachments can be placed in PMs.

Conversation View

Osho|PKForum: keeps track of PM replies

Osho|PKForum: displays a chronological view of the PM history.

SecuritySecurity

Paid Code Security Audit

Osho|PKForum:  the code has been independently inspected by a PHP security consultant.

Password Hashing

Osho|PKForum: All passwords are completely hashed before stored in the database.

Anti-spamAnti-Spam

Flood Control

Osho|PKForum: provides the option to limit the number of posts that can be made or PMs that can be sent in a given time period.

User Banning & Suspension

Osho|PKForum: allows designated administrators or moderators to permanently ban or temporarily suspend a user's account for a given time period.

Warnings

Osho|PKForum: designated moderators and administrators are able to issue warnings to users.

Osho|PKForum: these warnings can be set to expire automatically.

User Logging

Osho|PKForum: user's actions on the board can be logged and viewed by administrators and moderators.

Osho|PKForum: IP addresses are logged for these actions as well as each post made.

Report Posts & Private Messages

Osho|PKForum: users have the ability to flag a post or a PM as spam to a moderator for later review.

Post Approval

Osho|PKForum: can be configured to require individual topics and posts to be approved by moderators before they're visible to everyone.

Data ManagementData Management

Osho|PKForum: utilities are provided to fully backup and restore your board's database.

CachingCaching

Database Query Caching

Osho|PKForum: will cache the results of commonly executed queries in order to decrease page load times.

Template Caching

Osho|PKForum: has the ability to cache its output in order to save on CPU cycles and decrease page load times, rather than recompiling the template on each page load.

Manually Refresh Cache

Osho|PKForum: options in the Administrator Control Panel allow board owners to manually clear the template cache,

Osho|PKForum: the theme cache if applicable,

Osho|PKForum: or everything all in one go.

StylesStyles

User Selectable Styles

Osho|PKForum: if multiple styles are installed on the board, each user will have the option to use the one he or she likes best.

Install/Manage Custom Styles

Osho|PKForum: style is fully customisable by tweaking an existing style or creating one from scratch.

Customise Style Components

Osho|PKForum: individual style components, such as CSS themes, template files, and images, can be customised from within the Administrator Control Panel.

PermissionsPermissions

Permission Roles

Osho|PKForum: permission roles are supported allowing board owners to create a "template" of permissions and then applying them to various users and groups.

Group-based Permissions

Osho|PKForum: allows board owners to place multiple users into a group and then apply a set of Moderator,

Osho|PKForum: Administrator,

Osho|PKForum: Forum,

Osho|PKForum: or Global permissions to the group.

User-based Permissions

Osho|PKForum: allows board owners to assign Moderator,

Osho|PKForum: Administrator,

Osho|PKForum: Forum,

Osho|PKForum: or Global permissions to individual users.

Permission Masks

Osho|PKForum: permission masks show exactly what a user has access to at any given time.

AdministrationAdministration

Founder Status/Board Creator

Osho|PKForum: the founder status of a user ensures that no other administrator can take complete control of the board without the founder's explicit permission.

Load Settings

Osho|PKForum: allows board owners to configure various settings which have an effect on the load on the server.

Prune Inactive Users

Osho|PKForum: The Administrator Control Panel gives administrators the option to remove inactive users within a specified time period.

Manage Ranks

Osho|PKForum: add, edit, or remove user and group ranks from the board.

Osho|PKForum: customise the images displayed or the number of posts necessary to achieve a certain rank.

Manage Groups

Osho|PKForum: create groups, add users to groups, assign leaders to groups, and assign permissions to groups from within the Administrator Control Panel.

Manage Attachments

Osho|PKForum: control attachment settings, such as file times

Osho|PKForum: or file sizes from the Administrator Control Panel.

Osho|PKForum: board owners can view a list of attachments on the board and delete any if necessary.

User Editing

Osho|PKForum: ability to manage a user's profile and board preferences.

Topic Icons

Osho|PKForum: add, edit, or remove custom topic icons which can be selected by users when creating a new topic.

Mass-email

Osho|PKForum: send out a bulk email to all of the board's users simultaneously.

Manage report/denial Reasons

Osho|PKForum: when users report posts, they have the option to select a reason for the report.

Osho|PKForum: Administrators can create, edit, or remove these reasons from the Administrator Control Panel.

Manage Bans

Osho|PKForum: view a list of banned users,

Osho|PKForum: unban users,

Osho|PKForum: initialise a new ban by username, email address, or IP address.

Search SystemSearch System

Integrated Keyword Search

Osho|PKForum: has a keyword search integrated with Dolphin's site-wide search facility.

Customised Topic Search

Osho|PKForum: users can search for a particular post from within a topic using various filters and sorting options.

Customised Forum Search

Osho|PKForum: users can search for a particular post or topic from within a forum using various filters and sorting options.

Author Search

Osho|PKForum: search for a list of topics or posts by a particular author.

Advanced Search

Osho|PKForum: a range of filters and options can be set when performing a search,

Osho|PKForum: such as timeframe,

Osho|PKForum: post author,

Osho|PKForum: or within multiple forums.

Osho|PKForum: wildcard searches are also supported.

View Unanswered Posts

Osho|PKForum: search system can find a list of all topics on the board or in a forum which have no replies.

Active/New Topics

Osho|PKForum: the search system can find topics which have been very active or have a certain number of replies.

Posts Since Last Visit

Osho|PKForum: can show users a list of posts and topics which have been made since their last visit to the board.

Search Flood Control

Osho|PKForum: can be configured to limit the number of searches that can be performed in a specified time interval.

NotificationsNotifications

Email

Osho|PKForum: can send users notifications via email about new posts in subscribed topics or when a PM is received.

Instant Messaging

Osho|PKForum: users can receive notifications via instant messaging.

Subscription

Osho|PKForum: users can subscribe to the board,

Osho|PKForum: a forum,

Osho|PKForum: or individual topics.

Timeline

Osho|PKForum: can be configured for new or changed topics and posts to show on the homepage timeline.

Osho|PKForum: can be configured for new or changed topics and posts to show on the user's timeline.

Osho|PKForum: can be configured for new or changed topics and posts to show on EVO-Wall on the homepage.

Osho|PKForum: can be configured for new or changed topics and posts to show on the user's EVO-Wall.

29 Mar 2014

Yep... that about sums it up.

29 Mar 2014

ON another note, rodt needs to make the switch to decaffeinated coffee or something.

29 Mar 2014

ON another note, rodt needs to make the switch to decaffeinated coffee or something.

I swear!! lol

ManOfTeal.COM a Proud UNA site, six years running strong!
29 Mar 2014

Licensed under the GPLv2
Osho|PKForum:
is open source, licensed under Version 2 of the GNU GPL.

OK, you know this one won't be there because otherwise they won't be selling it in the Market.

Also, this is not a standalone forum platform, it is a module for Boonex Dolphin.  Therefore, not all of the things you listed will be applicable.  Take avatars for instance, they will be controlled by Dolphin and will be the user's avatar from Dolphin.

29 Mar 2014

First, We see you are trying to get us to add more features, i suppose you're interested in the "module". So thanks but we have closed the more features line for this release. Nothing more will be added for this release now.

Second, We have done research on multiple forums s/w before starting on, did not just started making this "module" without any idea. The idea was to make things simple not clutter it up like full forum s/w. It has to look and feel like a dolphin "module" and match the UI elements like other places of dolphin. Making too much variations will make look like an integration of some other software. We tried to add every needed feature to run a successful forum "inside" your dolphin installation while keeping things easy to do and optimized so it runs fast and smooth. If we miss something, we would love to have some feedback where lots of people want a new feature for a new release. To finish it up, it was meant as a replacement of orca not phpBB or dolphin itself.

Third, I have an advise for you. If you really want two mailboxes for your users, please look for an integration of phpBB or if you don't want 2 mailboxes then switch to phpBB.

so much to do....
29 Mar 2014

Cramming a forum like phpbb, vbulletin, or IPB into Dolphin would instantly give it a clumsy, awkward feel.  On the other side of the coin, those folks at vBulletin and IPB trying to add social networking stuff to their base forum software, are creating platforms that I can't say have a lot of elegance.... they just don't have the right feel.  There must be balance.

29 Mar 2014

So, I try to put up something constructive here, and apparently have hit some raw nerves. The reaction I get is 'hang on, you don't actually expect this to be REAL forum software do you? It's just a replacement for Orca's similarly named module'.

I don't give a toss about phpBB. I was just acknowledging my source for most of the features listed.

I just think there should be a feature comparison list between the 2 contestants, that's all.

Right now I don't see much difference between the two.

30 Mar 2014

You didn't 'hit any raw nerves', so don't give yourself too much credit.  To be brutally honest, your last post is simply absurd for reasons that are obvious to some of us. 

30 Mar 2014

So, I try to put up something constructive here, and apparently have hit some raw nerves. The reaction I get is 'hang on, you don't actually expect this to be REAL forum software do you? It's just a replacement for Orca's similarly named module'.

You seem to have a different definition of forum. Hang on, you don't expect it to be a standalone forum do you?

EDIT: I think i have made myself clear on what our plans are.

so much to do....
30 Mar 2014

As usual, the two chief protaginists here would rather attack the individual rather than critique the subject matter.

30 Mar 2014

Here's something else to consider: PKForum is a product of it's developers, and as such, they have a right to develop their own product however they damn well please.  PKForum is a third party module for Dolphin, and no one is required to use it if they don't like it.

From what I have seen, it adds some much needed features that Orca probably won't have any time soon, and that's a pretty good start.  I have no doubt PKForum will evolve over time to become even more robust, but it is not remotely sensible to believe it will ever turn into something like phpbb... nor would we want it to.

30 Mar 2014

HL, I'll repeat, I don't give a toss about phpBB.

This is all I'm interested in, where you said "From what I have seen, it adds some much needed features that Orca probably won't have any time soon"

Wonderful - what are those features?

30 Mar 2014

hey Rod, I just took a peek at your site http://mystampworld.net/ and it looks nice... no doubt the developer, you I assume, put a lot of work into it and the site has improved over time.  Or maybe you got it perfect right from the initial launch... an unusual case in my experience.  I've launched over 100 websites and none of them have ever been "perfect" initially, i.e. they've all been launched with the best intentions and eventually additional features we added based on user feedback.  

Regarding "Wonderful - what are those features?" ... have some patience and you'll soon see the list of features in the Market description.  Then you can decide whether it's worth your time to purchase the module... or not.

30 Mar 2014

Let's revise your list first, removing things that are the function of Dolphin outside of PKForum; like members messaging each other, PKForum is not going to handle that because Dolphin has a messaging system.  Members will handle their avatars through the regular avatar module, so PKForum does not need the ability for members to add/customise their avatars.  Online list of members, that can be handled by Dolphin, PKForum does not need to show you the members that are online.  This is what we meant by PKForum is not a standalone forum, it is a Dolphin forum module.

Some of the things on your list are there in PKForum.  I have helped to test the module and it is a much needed improvement over Orca.  It is a fantastic improvement over Orca. 

The module is getting ready to be released.  The feature set is frozen at this time.

30 Mar 2014

Let's revise your list first...

These still belong in the list for forum features. A reference like * provided by Dolphin is all that's needed.

It is a fantastic improvement over Orca. 

So the devotees keep saying, without listing the improvements.

The feature set is frozen at this time.

That's been stated many times here. The feature list is to show what is and isn't available, not a request for new features to the first release.

30 Mar 2014

Just as a thought, will there be any facility, or do you think it could be 'added' afterwards (maybe an upgrade module? ;-)

where forum could act like the Q&A system on stackexchange.com?

Kinda like a forum, but dressed up as Q&A, then members vote for best answers, and they get moved to the top...

Would be very nice to play with alongside Dolphin...!

2 Apr 2014

Very interesting idea... now on my home/office whiteboard ;-)

Just as a thought, will there be any facility, or do you think it could be 'added' afterwards (maybe an upgrade module? ;-)

Kinda like a forum, but dressed up as Q&A, then members vote for best answers, and they get moved to the top...

2 Apr 2014

StackExchange is not a forum. Its more like a question/answer site.

http://meta.stackoverflow.com/questions/92107/is-stack-overflow-a-forum

It has completely different functions and implementing that in a single "forum" module is not logical.

so much to do....
3 Apr 2014

dailho, there is already a Q&A Module like that by Modzzz in the market.
http://www.boonex.com/m/Answers

bought this popular mod yesterday.

3 Apr 2014

I know how you guys can stop all this banter ....

RELEASE IT!

Cool

3 Apr 2014

Ok, this post is so long and I am so lazy I'm just gonna ask. Does the new forum allow me to disallow member posts deletes or set a time limit like this forum does?

I just ran across a need for that tonight. I hate it when a member starts a thread, lets it grow for a week then deletes his (or her, lets be fair here) original comment. Makes the rest of the post hard to follow....

16 Apr 2014

@SkyForum, thank you for your suggestion... we sincerely appreciate all your efforts to help us create a feature-rich Dolphin forum module :-)

Prashank and I considered it for this release and decided we'll add it in the second release.  At this time we're trying to finish all the little bits and pieces, including documentation, necessary to launch the product on the BoonEx Market... and prefer to not add extra features that would create further delays.  -- Paul 8^)

Ok, this post is so long and I am so lazy I'm just gonna ask. Does the new forum allow me to disallow member posts deletes or set a time limit like this forum does?

I just ran across a need for that tonight. I hate it when a member starts a thread, lets it grow for a week then deletes his (or her, lets be fair here) original comment. Makes the rest of the post hard to follow....

16 Apr 2014

any closer to release?

22 Apr 2014

Must be. The test site has disappeared.......

22 Apr 2014

The documentation is 99% done and I just put up the final 1.0.0 version on the demo site.  I still need to run a couple of tests for the last set of code changes we made, such as dealing with how the forum will display posts by members who were later removed.

Cool

22 Apr 2014
23 Apr 2014

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.