/ray/XML.php ???

My server logs are showing an unexpectedly high page view count for these two scripts, and a few others.

/ray/XML.php
/get_rss_feed.php

What is causing this?

XML.php is saying "The document tree is shown below." Nothing appears on the screen below that other than "<ray/>"

Arthur

Quote · 6 Jul 2008

Arthur,

don`t worry, this is just main Ray files , Ray works via its, all Ok

Quote · 7 Jul 2008

AndreP,  I can not accept a "don't worry about it" answer.  These programs are causing a very large amount of page views, and therefore using lots of resources.  In addition, it is impossible for me to tell whether they are being triggered by a cron, or by a third party that want to do harm on my server.

What I need to know is, what are these files doing, and why are they being processed so often.  We do not have members yet, and I need to know what I should expect from the standpoint of system and resource usage.

Why is Ray calling these scripts? What are these scripts supposed to be doing?

Arthur Rosenfield

Quote · 7 Jul 2008

Sammie~

That was a fine answer and a good explanation. Thank you for taking the time.  Now I understand it, and will not worry about it.

I especially liked seeing my name 4.5 times.  I've never seen that before.

Arthur

Quote · 8 Jul 2008

Thank Sammy for this explanation :)

all right

Quote · 8 Jul 2008

Thank's Sammie,

Got my vote.

From the land DownUnder
Quote · 8 Jul 2008

80 bytes times 200,000 and you only have 100 plus active members.... is something to worry about on server load when running on a shared hosted site...   now what if you have 1000 active members now its 80 bytes times 2,000,000 in 7 days thats a big chunk of bandwidth and resources being used...

but on the other side of things dont worry about it is correct in away because there really is nothing you can do about it other then delete the plugins not being used.

but again if i look at my system resources mysql is using 70 megs of ram with no one on the site. apache is using about 30 megs again no one on it.  so just them two proccess are using 100 megs. and then there is the os running eating up maybe 75 to 100 more megs of ram...   and i think hostforweb vps start with 256 megs of ram so you can see really  in the end 2,000,000 page views just for that one file out of the hundreds that dolphin has is a big deal to some people and to say if your worried about it you shouldnt be using dolphin.... i dont think is the way to go  thats just me.... 

why do you think google,yahoo, and microsoft pay a hand full of people to work on ways to make the files and page views smaller on a daily bases for a reason. everyone tries in there own way to make there site faster or save bandwidth where possible. Its just the right thing to do.

i build houses for a living so i guess that gives you the right to say i dont belong using dolphin either i guess.  but i have it installed on many servers and i recommend  it to many people and maintain many sites that run dolphin.  not saying i am a master coder/program   just saying i am a hack..  a copy and past freak  but i get by with that and dont have to pay someone 500 bucks or more on here to get it done.  

https://dolphin-techs.com - Skype: Dolphin Techs
Quote · 8 Jul 2008

Hello Dolphin_Jay and Sammy,

My initial concern was that there might be a security hole, or data leak being exploited.  It seemed to me that both XML and RSS could be a way to do that.   Now, that I have a slightly better understanding, I am moderately concerned about the load issues because they seem to multiply exponentially.   BizWiz.com serves several hundred thousand member companies that have joined since 1995. CLICKIT.com, has a shopping database of 21 million products and is heavily used by consumers. CityEntree.com has 9,600 of restaurants, 8,000 hotels, 5,000 tours etc.  Our unique user counts are in the millions.  The potential for millions of 'CLICKIT People' (where Dolphin is being set up at clickit.com/social/) to become members is high. We also hope to apply it to BizWiz.com for Professionals to use.  Even at hundreds of thousands, or tens of thousands of members, the impact of these core scripts like this is potentially extremely high.  I don't need new math to calculate the multiples.

So, I do not take any load issues lightly.

In addition, we try to carefully monitor and report our page counts for advertising traffic purposes.  One small thing I need to do is back out the page counts that these workhorse scripts are now contributing to the total count.

Not meaning to say anything, here, other than thank you to both of you for helping me to understand the issues.

Also, Sammie, on an objective level, I didn't find dolphin_jay's comments to be an attack or attempt to discredit you. To the contrary.  I think he was respectful and simply adding his view on the "don't worry about it" position.    You have both been helpful and I appreciate your taking the time.

With all the talent that is working on developing Dolphin and Ray, I am sure someone will ultimately figure out a way to do the background workhorse stuff without causing all of these extraordinary page views.  Everything is possible.

Have a great day!  Feel free to sign up at CLICKIT.com/social/ and help me to beta the system.

Arthur Rosenfield

Quote · 8 Jul 2008

Not sure what you mean.  BizWiz.com has been on the internet since 1995 and is a respected service.  What could you possibly think is shady?

As for CLICKIT, you may have been at the wrong site.  CLICKIT.com, not clickit.net.  Once again, not sure what you would find to be shady.  All our services are valued services that have been around a long time.   RainbowPagesInc.com

The CLICKIT PEOPLE site is at clickit.com/social/  ....for the moment.   You'll hardly find anything shady there.

So, what looks shady to you?

Arthur Rosenfield

Quote · 8 Jul 2008

sammie...   for sure not an attack at all...  i am the most easy going person around.  As bizwiz said i was just adding what i see on alot of projects i do... We always try to get the foot print down as small as possible  thats all.   o and for the server thing i agree its not really for the small fry but its all i can afford for the most part right now so its what i am stuck with   :(

https://dolphin-techs.com - Skype: Dolphin Techs
Quote · 8 Jul 2008

Sammie, not a "link farm" at all.

1. We operate the services that are at the end of those links. Yes. Over a period of 15 years we have engineered quite a number of services.  All are content driven, or designed to assist our member companies.

2. Any other links you'll find are part of the member programs and our business--to-business search engine.

No bad habits, just a large portfolio of services to help member companies.

As for matt cutts, I have no idea who he is. If he has a gripe with one of my service,  which  I take it from your  post he does,  it would fall into the "can't please all of the people all of the time".   I am sure that you do not please all of your friends, customers, or family. We try our best, just as you do.   I have also found in life that some people just like to complain and have negativity around them.

Finally, Google rankings come and go.  We have about 50 million pages of content on the internet. I am happy to have loyal users who find our destination sites very helpful.

You may be referring to the advertising on our system.  We are always happy to have advertising.  It is a product of having high traffic.

Sorry you have had a disappointing view of BizWiz and CLICKIT.

Arthur Rosenfield

Quote · 8 Jul 2008

Those files are used by all the ajax communications. So it is normal to see them in logs.

Regards,

Praveen

http://www.dolphinpros.com

----
Quote · 9 Jul 2008

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.