Backups - URGENT

Hi everyone

I am experiencing some problems with my site (probably due to a recently installed mod).  I have a backup of my database saved.  My question is this: Does the database backup contain everything that is required to take the site back to a previous date (ie. before the mod was installed) and What will I lose when installing the backup (eg. I have 30 new members joined since the mod installation), will I lose any of this information.. Photos, videos uploaded etc etc...

The problem that I am experiencing is when clicking on links for playback of videos, mp3's and photos they do not open but i get presented with a blank page.  I have tried disabling permalinks in the admin panel but this has not worked.

And finally, How do I install the backup, It is saved on my server and the file appears as xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/xxxx_dolphin_2008-06-26_23h59m.Thursday.sql.gz

Any assistance with this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jeffrey Euen-Gow

http://clubbeyourself.com

clubbeyourself
Quote · 2 Jul 2008

The issue with all backup systems, is not the backup per se, but the "restore" - i.e. you don't know if a backup really works until you try the restore and most people who try this the first time don't have confidence that the restore works.  I would like someone else to weigh in on this (specifically I'm not sure about the photos) but in my experience the Dolphin backup and restore system works very well- i.e. you can go back and forth between different backup versions without fear of losing anything.

Rob

Quote · 2 Jul 2008

I have not used the dolphin backup, I have used a tool called mysql backup which saves the backup on my server..  I don't know how to restore from there and if it is going to restore dolphin to it's previous state (Pre mod)...  I also don't know if it backs up file structure of dolphin or just the database..  Does anyone know if the dolphin file structure and files is contained in the database or is it only on the server?

Thanks for your response

Jeff

http://clubbeyourself.com

clubbeyourself
Quote · 2 Jul 2008

Did you do any backups from the Dolphin backup utility at all before you did your mod?  If, as you say, you have not used the Dolphin backup, then my answer is not relevant.  I don't know anything about the "mysql backup" tool or if it can be used to restore a Dolphin site easily.  I hope someone here can help you.  Once you are back on line, I do recommend you start using the Dolphin backup- it is one of the few things in Dolphin that is really reliable.

Rib

Quote · 2 Jul 2008

Thanks for the advice, I will start using it.

Cheers

clubbeyourself
Quote · 2 Jul 2008

It depend on server settings.

If your server backup have the option  to backup a whole domain, then everthing includes the file structure on that domain is backuped. Mostley you can from the server root set a backup back on the root server, if your have a dedicated server with remote backup disk. Say [root 80: backup 80] gb.

Kids first
Quote · 2 Jul 2008

If you get a free moment sometime this download at expertzzz for Dolphin Database Maintenance is really worth it. Works great in a shared hosting environment.
http://www.expertzzz.com/Downloadz/view/3225

It might seem a little confusing if you're not familiar with all the server/hosting stuff. But check it out.

It shows you how to set up automated mysql backups on your hosting account using cron. They will be created on your hosting account, and the script also has the option of emailing them directly to you. It's a definate time saver to have it automated and set a time by cron.

I actually have it set to backup all my mysql databases 2 times per day, so the least amount of data I would loose would be 12 hours worth or less.

This doesn't include actual file/folder backups, which should have some other backup plan in place.

Depends on how big your site database is, but most hosts have mysql backups/downloads compressed .gz format which makes a 5mb sql file more like 500kb's, so it really only takes a couple of seconds.

Just something to look into in the future if you get a chance.

Good luck with the restore and fix.

gameutopia

DialMe.com - Your One and Only Source For Boonex Dolphin Tutorials and Resources
Quote · 3 Jul 2008

Thanks everyone for your advice, it is all noted.  will see how I get on with it all.  Keep up the good work.

Jeff

clubbeyourself
Quote · 3 Jul 2008

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.