Banned Members Don't Remain Banned

Why when I ban members on my site do they no longer stay banned, I ban a member and they are still able to log in a few days later...

Please advise what the best method to ban a member on a Dolphin site would be please?

Thanks

Quote · 11 Nov 2010

banning? not sure what that actually means? are you deleting them from the site, blocking their IP, how are you banning?

there may well be a setting that a ban lasts 3 days or something. but if you want them gone, as that username, change their password and email address in the database.

you wont see them back in there on that username, but if you are banning an IP, not much luck with making that stick because most are on dynamic IP's where there is an expiration of a few days, to a few months. there are also tricks that are used that change your IP based on flushing your DNS and assiging some IP in your settings on the network connection.

so hmmm, another way, would be to charge a membership fee, even if its a quarter, then this person would not be able to join in again, because his paypal account would be blocked.

oh well just thought i would kick around some ideas at you.

When a GIG is not enough --> Terabyte Dolphin Technical Support - Server Management and Support
Quote · 11 Nov 2010

Hello wait before 7.0.4 is coming. There will added new ban functions!

PS: If possible do not write me personally, please try to ask on the forum first
Quote · 11 Nov 2010

Hello wait before 7.0.4 is coming. There will added new ban functions!

sashe'

have you guys looked at max mind at all? they have an API that is used on whmcs, where there is a call-in verification pin for new sign ups. it costs only a few pennies per call. well worth it i do believe. if you want more information i will be checking back, and can get you further info on it.

When a GIG is not enough --> Terabyte Dolphin Technical Support - Server Management and Support
Quote · 11 Nov 2010

banning? not sure what that actually means? are you deleting them from the site, blocking their IP, how are you banning?

there may well be a setting that a ban lasts 3 days or something. but if you want them gone, as that username, change their password and email address in the database.

you wont see them back in there on that username, but if you are banning an IP, not much luck with making that stick because most are on dynamic IP's where there is an expiration of a few days, to a few months. there are also tricks that are used that change your IP based on flushing your DNS and assiging some IP in your settings on the network connection.

so hmmm, another way, would be to charge a membership fee, even if its a quarter, then this person would not be able to join in again, because his paypal account would be blocked.

Yeah I was just referring to the ban function under the 'Members' menu in the admin panel.

Changing the password for the account will be good enough though, thanks for the idea :)

Quote · 11 Nov 2010

well you gotta change the email address too, otherwise, they can hit the forgot password, and it will fire them a temp. so change the email, just add an _ or some foreign character to the email address. that would render it disabled.

Yeah I was just referring to the ban function under the 'Members' menu in the admin panel.

Changing the password for the account will be good enough though, thanks for the idea :)

Quote · 11 Nov 2010

well you gotta change the email address too, otherwise, they can hit the forgot password, and it will fire them a temp. so change the email, just add an _ or some foreign character to the email address. that would render it disabled.

They aren't even registering with a valid email address, they are just typing anything @ anything in the email field, this is the reason for me trying to get the email verification on sign up working in the other thread you are helping with, heh :)

Quote · 11 Nov 2010

just shot you a kite to our PM. let me know. i will take a peak.

They aren't even registering with a valid email address, they are just typing anything @ anything in the email field, this is the reason for me trying to get the email verification on sign up working in the other thread you are helping with, heh :)

Quote · 11 Nov 2010

no email is being sent to me to confirm. also, i posted an image in the blog, of what i see about the membership. it says i am full featured. so you have something amiss with your membership settings.

Quote · 11 Nov 2010

no email is being sent to me to confirm. also, i posted an image in the blog, of what i see about the membership. it says i am full featured. so you have something amiss with your membership settings.

I definately received the email when I tested it. I can't see any relevant options in the membership settings to prevent new members carrying out actions on the site until they have clicked on the email verification link.

The membership settings work perfectly as we require for all membership levels including guests/non members and standard members.

I just can't understand what else I need to do in order to prevent members from contributing to the site until they have verified their email, it just seems like a pretty pointless feature if they can still use the site as they please if an email confirmation is sent but it serves no purpose.

Any help from anyone greatly appreciated. Thanks

Quote · 11 Nov 2010

Have you tried unchecking Settings->Moderation->Automatic profile activation after joining?

Marco

Quote · 26 Nov 2010

Can anyone from Boonex actually respond to this so we can at least figure out whether it's a bug, a problem with my site or poor wording on your features!

Quote · 4 Jan 2011

I see this is still an issue after 1.5 years later in the most current edition. Is there a fix in the works?

Quote · 11 Mar 2012

Maybe it's time to post a bug ticket?

Quote · 12 Mar 2012

I am using 7.0.9 and when I ban users they stay banned for less than a day and then the profile turns goes back to approval and is waiting in the approvals area. I ban these users so I can keep track of the similar usernames and email addresses the scammers use and it works well until the software unbans them a short time later and puts them in the approval bin. I notice this started happening in 7.0.9 but was not an issue with an earlier version. I won't be upgrading to 7.1 any time soon so does any one know a fix for this? This is screwing me up when I am approving profiles because the banned users should not keep showing up in the approval area.

Quote · 24 Jan 2013

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.