Best way to set Security for 7.1

What is the best way to set up the security settings to keep spammers off the site?  Boonex default and also advanced modules?

Quote · 13 Nov 2012

RE:

What is the best way to set up the security settings to keep spammers off the site?  Boonex default and also advanced modules?

I think you should first decide whether or not you want to allow the entire planet to join your site.  Most visitors from China, Pacific Rim Countries, all of Eastern Europe, and some others, will have no interest in your site other than to join and post as much spam as possible.  This will begin within days of putting your site online.  Pretty much every site in the US is under constant attack by the good folks in China.  In China, there are a huge number of people employed as "Data Entry Technicians".  Their one and only job is to post spam on as many websites as possible.  This goes on every hour of every day.  It never stops.

For this reason, I block access to my join page from IP addresses outside the US.  That takes care of a lot, but it's not enough.  Many, if not most spammers will connect to your site through an anonymous or open proxy server that is based in the US, so country blocking by IP won't work.  I use Maxmind's proxy detection service to block access to my join page through the aforementioned proxy servers.  Although I don't think it helps much, I do turn on all of Dolphin's built in spam protection.  So far, this has been 100% effective in stopping spam on the sites where I have implemented it.  The Maxmind service does come at a cost..... 10,000 queries will cost you $50, so basically, getting rid of 10 spammers will cost a nickel. On a site I've had online for a few years, the Maxmind proxiy detection service stops an average of 200 spammers every single day, so it's costing me about $25 a month to be spam free.

Others may have different ideas to stop spammers, but this is what I do, and so far it has been 100% effective.

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 13 Nov 2012

I really liked all that insite... I was mainly asking because I installed 7.1 from scratch and under advanced settings>security there are only a few settings not the usual block spam settings and my site got bombarded with spam within minutes.  China blogs and fake accounts.  I definitely need to stop all that no question.  I know the akismet and all the old settings did the job.  How do I get them on dolphin 7.1?

Jesse

Quote · 14 Nov 2012

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.