Change Album name problem

When change some album name in VIdeo, Photo or FIle section the name changed correctly, but the link to this album don't change. The field I am talking is in data base - sys_albums - Uri.

One more bug I found. When delete some album with movies, photos or files the album disappears from our site but the album content stay in the site data base. And if you create new album with same name like before one the files from our old album appear in the new album.

Quote · 14 Jan 2010

Hello!

1) Unchanging uri - it's not a bug - the main Dolphin content keeps Uri and doesn't change it even if content gets new title. Because it needs for better work in search machines.

2) Album will be deleted from DB after deleting all content from it. But it can happen in case if u have not-unprocessed videos for example but.

Regard

Quote · 18 Jan 2010

RE: Hello!

1) Unchanging uri - it's not a bug - the main Dolphin content keeps Uri and doesn't change it even if content gets new title. Because it needs for better work in search machines.

How is that going to be better for search engine indexing?  What if I create an album, and it gets indexed by Google.  Then I discover that I misspelled the album name, and I correct the spelling.  If the uri does not change to reflect the correct spelling, the album name will never get indexed with the correct name.  Because of this, people may never find the album using correctly spelled words. Bad, bad, thing to do.

Bottom Line: Album url needs to change to reflect any changes made to the album name.

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 18 Jan 2010

Hello houstonlively!

In this case part of rank will be divided between old and new uri. By this idea we made system that Uri isn't change during editing of tilte.

Regard

Quote · 19 Jan 2010

RE: In this case part of rank will be divided between old and new uri. By this idea we made system that Uri isn't change during editing of tilte.

I understand that, but it is very bad that that a misspelled url will never get indexed.  The best solution would be to use a database lookup for 301 redirects.  Here's some sample php code that I found that explains it better than I could.

The following example is in PHP but is easy to do with any language. Lets say you switched to a new system and all files that ended in the old id need to be redirected. First create a database table that will hold the old id and the new URL to redirect to:

old_id INT
new_url VARCHAR (255)

Next, write code to populate it with your old id's and your new URLs.

Next, add the following line to .htaccess:

<code>
RewriteRule ^/product-(.*)_([0-9]+).php /redirectold.php?productid=$2
</code>

Then create the PHP file redirectold.php which will handle the 301:

<code>
<?php
function getRedirectUrl($productid) {
// Connect to the database
$dServer = "localhost";
$dDb = "mydbname";
$dUser = "mydb_user";
$dPass = "password";

$s = @mysql_connect($dServer, $dUser, $dPass)
or die("Couldn't connect to database server");

@mysql_select_db($dDb, $s)
or die("Couldn't connect to database");

$query = "SELECT new_url FROM redirects WHERE old_id = ". $productid;
mysql_query($query);
$result = mysql_query($query);
$hasRecords = mysql_num_rows($result) == 0 ? false : true;
if (!$hasRecords) {
$ret = 'http://www.yoursite.com/';
} else {
while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))
{
$ret = 'http://www.yoursite.com/'. $row["new_url"];
}
}
mysql_close($s);
return $ret;
}

$productid = $_GET["productid"];
$url = getRedirectUrl($productid);

header("HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently");
header("Location: $url");
exit();
?>
</code>

Now, all requests to your old URLs will call redirectold.php which will lookup the new URL and return a HTTP response 301 redirect to your new URL.

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 19 Jan 2010

As i know using of PHP header function isn't loved much by search machines. And this way in Dolphin will require keeping old values in DB too. Better then make simple Uri changing :-)

Regards

Quote · 19 Jan 2010

The only reason to keep the same url, is if the media album had a high page rank.  I really don't think that's going to be a big concern for the average D7 site.  And yes, a dynamic redirecting system would be much more trouble than it's worth.  I really believe updating the url is the best thing to do.  Chances are, if the page wasn't named properly, it wouldn't be showing up in search engine results anyway.

Quote · 19 Jan 2010

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.