Cron Job Fun Facts!

Cron is a time-based job scheduler in Unix-like computer operating systems. The name cron comes from the word "chronos", Greek for "time". Cron enables users to schedule jobs (commands or shell scripts) to run periodically at certain times or dates. It is commonly used to automate system maintenance or administration, though its general-purpose nature means that it can be used for other purposes, such as connecting to the Internet and downloading email.

Cron is driven by a crontaba configuration file that specifies shell commands to run periodically on a given schedule. The crontab files are stored where the lists of jobs and other instructions to the cron daemon are kept. Users can have their own individual crontab files and often there is a systemwide crontab file (usually in /etc or a subdirectory of /etc) which only system administrators can edit.

Each line of a crontab file represents a job and is composed of a CRON expression, followed by a shell command to execute. Some implementations of cron, such as that in the popular 4th BSD edition written by Paul Vixie and included in many Linux distributions, add a username specification into the format as the sixth field, as whom the specified job will be run (subject to user existence in /etc/passwd and allowed permissions). This is only allowed in the system crontabs (/etc/crontab and /etc/cron.d/*), not in others which are each assigned to a single user to configure.

Copied from Wikipedia

:-)
Quote · 17 May 2010

What I find funny is that my web hosting provider, Media Temple, finds it important to explain not only what a cron job is, but also the Greek mythology it is based on.

BoonEx Certified Host: Zarconia.net - Fully Supported Shared and Dedicated for Dolphin
Quote · 17 May 2010

Yes!  That is the fun fact I liked the most.  Where they got the name Cron for Cron Jobs from.  Who knew...a Greek God!  Chronos controls our scheduled server task!  WooHaaHaaHaa!

:-)
Quote · 17 May 2010

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.