Dolphin hosting issues with HostUpon

Attention host seekers

Please be aware that a single (yes that is one) dolphin site user / client can exceed the 10% cpu / memory usage if hosted with HostUpon, even if this single user is doing no more than updating their status (I kid you not).

let me explain: 36+ hours ago i was attempting to view our site which, for the last 3 weeks since sign up i have been able to access and work on without issue but on this occasion, to my complete surprise i was met with "database connect error" so off i trot to the HostUpon client area and open a ticket. Some considerable time later i received my first reply which explained: we are currently experiencing some issues with our servers which we are addressing............Time passed and to give HostUpon their due since their "Fix" i have been able (occasionally) to view our site and even upload files, video, sounds and pics but this intermittent error still exists and now we even have a bonus error!!!! :

"Resource Limit Is Reached"

The website is temporarily unable to service your request as it exceeded resource limit. Please try again later."

Now please be aware that at this time i was the only user on site and all i was attempting to do was update my status, so, Off i trot again to the HostUpon "client" area and open another ticket and this time the replies included: "If you get a 500 error or a Resource limit reached error it means you have hit your limit of 10% of the CPU usage and memory on the server." and "The high CPU usage can be due to a script/plugin or cronjob."

I should at this time point out that no script, plugins or cronjobs have been added, removed or altered in any way during 3 weeks prior to these issues arising and during which time we had no problems. These problems have only arisen since HostUpon have been working on their "fix" for the issues they have been experiencing with their own servers.

In closing i would like to point out that in the last 36+ hours we have been able to establish only that:

1. access to the site seems to be limited to one user / client at any one time or the 10% cpu / memory usage is exceeded

2. Over the last 36hrs + access to our site has been intermittent at best. It was explained to me in an email that HostUpon was at that time experiencing "server issues" and these issues would be resolved shortly but still they have not.

3. I was mislead by a member of the HostUpon online "chat support" during my initial enquiries into the possible limitations of this hosting package, I was at that time assured that this package could "easily" handle 1,000+ clients at any one time which was the only reason HostUpon was chosen.

It is my understanding that my ticket has now been "escalated" so why am i not filled with optimism. I shall of course keep you up to speed which is far more than HostUpon seem able to do.

It ain't easy being this stupid all of the time
Quote · 30 Aug 2015

It looks like they're using CloudLinux. There should be some resource usage meters in the status block in cPanel (CPU, RAM (virtual and/or physical), entry processes). Can you post them?

BoonEx Certified Host: Zarconia.net - Fully Supported Shared and Dedicated for Dolphin
Quote · 30 Aug 2015

Nathan, I don't think even they know what they're using and imho they are probably using an old 486 machine with 32Mb ram on a dial up connection so I have given up with HostUpon as a second rate outfit.

Going to move to Zarconia, TMD, Arvixe or orange so if anyone has experiences with of any of these i'd appreciate the heads up. Ed

Quote · 30 Aug 2015

TMD will be good for the first 2 month then they will start warning you about the resources you are using and always tell you to upgrade. Their ticket response time is good nearly 15 minutes.

Why don't you use a VPS ?

Quote · 30 Aug 2015

if anyone has experiences with of any of these i'd appreciate the heads up. Ed

This should be a clue...

This is part of Nathan's signature.

BoonEx Certified Hosting for Dolphin: Zarconia.net - http://bit.ly/1p6xNBZ

ManOfTeal.COM a Proud UNA site, six years running strong!
Quote · 30 Aug 2015

if anyone has experiences with of any of these i'd appreciate the heads up. Ed

This should be a clue...

This is part of Nathan's signature.

BoonEx Certified Hosting for Dolphin: Zarconia.net - http://bit.ly/1p6xNBZ

lol yeah Newton27, that one got past me!!!

Anyhoo, all sorted now having had things explained in plain speak, moving bagzzy to Zarconia :) Will let you know how the move goes

Quote · 30 Aug 2015

Well what a difference in two companies, HUGE THANKS to Nathan at Zarconia for his help and patience this evening. Nothing was too much trouble and the move went without a hitch. It is obvious that there is a great deal of pride taken in this company. Now looking forward to growing bagzzy.com with Nathan and the rest of the Zarconia team :) :)

Quote · 30 Aug 2015

Well what a difference in two companies, HUGE THANKS to Nathan at Zarconia for his help and patience this evening. Nothing was too much trouble and the move went without a hitch. It is obvious that there is a great deal of pride taken in this company. Now looking forward to growing bagzzy.com with Nathan and the rest of the Zarconia team :) :)

Eddie,

Glad to hear everything went well and Nathan was able to get everything sorted for you. We look forward to having you in the Zarconia family.

Nothing to see here
Quote · 31 Aug 2015

Moved to "Announcements". Please keep Knowledge Base section for educational posts only. Thank you!

Heart Head Hands
Quote · 1 Sep 2015

Andrew, my experience with Hostupon was indeed an education, one i have no intention of ever repeating ;)

Quote · 1 Sep 2015

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.