Dolphin on xampp and windows PC. What would you do

1. How would you copy all the files including all the file properties? (read,write, ...)

2. Is there a special xampp version you would recommend for using on a windows system?

3. Is there any "special trap" one should look out for? Anything complex one should be prepared for?

Any advise is highly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Quote · 2 Jul 2019

Copy from where?

Geeks, making the world a better place
Quote · 2 Jul 2019
I use Uniform Server, but most WAMP packages are okay. You may experience the usual setting up problems for Dolphin, so it may pay to use Softaculous. It can install Dolphin 7.2 on your desktop. https://www.softaculous.com/softaculous/apps/socialnetworking/Dolphin Alternatively, install the XWamp and install a copy of Dolphin for testing purposes. Once it works, use Notebook++ and go to /inc/header.inc.php to find the file path XWamp used. Make a note of it. Now create an empty database and upload your server based script as we explained in an earlier post. Copy the SQL to your new database Go to the uploaded script and go to /inc/header.inc.php Replace the database name, password if necessary and change the url and file path. Theoretically the script should run. Please note that some components won't work. As there's on email access to the Internet, anything to do with emails won't work. Even so, enough will work to build templates etc. I'm attaching two Tutorials I wrote a few years back.
Installing Dolphin on Your PC.pdf · 1.2M · 167 downloads
Quote · 3 Jul 2019

John, you can actually set up a sort of pseudo mail server on your local computer for testing emails out of Dolphin.  I have done this on local AMPPS installs.  I don't have a link to anything but just search for it local email server for whatever LAMP or LEMP package you use.

Quote · 3 Jul 2019

Thanks Geek_Girl, but I've never worried about mail. I've only used my Wamp server to develop templates, however that's me. In all honesty, with the improved internet service I get here, I now do most testing on a cloned site on my server. If it works on that, it's sure to work on the main site.

Quote · 3 Jul 2019

@geekgirl. I meant copying from the server. I think i take the project down from an actual server and to run it on an own PC. 

Quote · 3 Jul 2019

Would it not also be possible to put everything on a USB stick? A bootable usb stick so that you can demonstrate the system on different PC´s without using an online server.

Quote · 3 Jul 2019

I know Uniform Server runs from a USB stick, but it would be messy. When you use a client's computer, you would have to:

• Plug in the stick of course
  • Locate the Sever on the stick.
  • Start Apache and MySQL
  • Enter Localhost/dolphin_site

There may be a problem with paths though. I think Uniform server needs a hard coded path from the Windows Root. If your client has more than one hard disk, or even a partitioned one, the path could be different and the server may not work. You'll need to research that one.

I've also found some modules don't work, but to me it's not an issue.

If you want to go down that path, follow my instructions, but load the server onto a USB stick.

Quote · 3 Jul 2019

I use AMPPS on Windows; you can use it on Linux but I have had issues with running it on Linux.  On Linux you have to start it from the command line and you have to keep the terminal window open; accidentally close the terminal and down it goes.  On my Linux box I just run Windows in a VM and install AMPPS on the VM.  You have to be careful and shut down AMPPS properly.  I like AMPPS.  The only thing is that I don't see individual php versions per website.  You can switch php version but I think it affects all websites.  Haven't really looked deeper into that and it may support independent php versions per sites; I would be surprised if it didn't.

On the server export your database.  Then it depends what you have; if a Linux server you can use tar -pczvf tarball-name.tar.gz site-directory.  Then you can extract the tarball on your local machine and move it to the /Ampps/www/html directory.  Well, you can go ahead and add the domain to the AMPPS first, noting where you want the directory files.  You will need to edit the header.inc.php file.  Create the database, import the database.

Quote · 3 Jul 2019

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.