Dumb Question, and I am not even a noob ;)

Is there some place where each Boonex module is explained? That is, the purpose, what it does, how it works, etc. I have technical staff who handle much of this, but as CEO I need a better understanding of Dolphin basics so I can direct development. We have relied on purchased modules, but I'd like to get a better understanding of the basic modules.

We've used Dolphin Pro for years, but now are preparing for a big expansion, and I really need to get up to speed, to see what we can do to improve our member experience. We are moving to other countries and will need to buy more pro versions.

Our situation is a little different, as we use Dolphin as an adjunct to our virtual world, which is the primary focus of our business model.

Thank you.

Quote · 29 Dec 2017

I think most are self explanatory.  If there are ones that you don't know the purpose, then ask.

Geeks, making the world a better place
Quote · 29 Dec 2017

@Yowser If only there was such documentation! As for self explanatory - we’ll all I can say is we can all interpret in different ways. Each module has its own little quirks which you unfortunately have to find out the hard way

Steve E
Quote · 29 Dec 2017

I think most are self explanatory.  If there are ones that you don't know the purpose, then ask.

Everything is easy and self-explanatory at an expert level... which you are, and I am not. ;)

Quote · 29 Dec 2017

@Yowser If only there was such documentation! As for self explanatory - we’ll all I can say is we can all interpret in different ways. Each module has its own little quirks which you unfortunately have to find out the hard way

Thank you, Steve. I appreciate your taking time to read this and answer. Dolphin is so amazing, and there is so much support. I am genuinely surprised there is not walk-through of the entire system and each Boonex module. As a marketer for decades, I can tell you that nothing builds excitement and boosts sales like detailed information and explanations. And nothing builds satisfaction among clients like bringing them up to speed FAST on your products and services.

Quote · 29 Dec 2017

I can tell you that nothing builds excitement and boosts sales like detailed information and explanations. And nothing builds satisfaction among clients like bringing them up to speed FAST on your products and services.

@Yowser, way back in the 80's I sold computers in a highly competitive market. Most PC's at the time came in a box with a floppy disk containing the operating system. I sold Kaypro computers from the States and they were several hundred dollars more expensive than the competition. I had no problem selling those things not  because they were a great computer, but the box was filled with a dozen very thick manuals and an equal number of floppy disks.

There was a thick manual on how to use the computer (Dolphin) and an equally thick manual on how to use the dozen supplied programs (modules) which covered word-processing, spreadsheets, database management, programming and games. Everything the user needed to know was there.

If only the same was true for Dolphin.

You are so right. In my opinion, everything about Dolphin's marketing is so hum-hum. Instead of making a potentially great script better, the Boonex folk have decided to invest in another script. I honestly can't understand this logic. They now have two half-baked offerings on the market instead of one outstanding one. 

I'm sorry, but I can't agree that the support is amazing. In fact I struggle to find any support other than a few weekly posts on this forum. When you buy a new car, you shouldn't have to spend hours trying to find out how to start it. The support should be in front of you in the way of a manual. There is no such manual for Dolphin, just a collection of (mostly) outdated notes spread over a wide area. I find that amazing. If Boonex is in fact a company, at least one of the team should be writing a manual, or keeping the wiki completely up to date.

Dolphin reminds me of a shopping cart script called osCommerce. It was a great script, but it eventually became difficult to use because of it's complex coding and the author's set-in-stone attitude. A few osCommerce programmers completely rewrote it and renamed it ZenCart. Their marketing strategy was as you describe: Keep it vibrant and keep people informed." ZenCart is now the premier shopping cart script. It's still free, but surpasses anything else on the market. (IMHO). Maybe Dolphin needs the same reincarnation? That way Boonex could focus entirely on UNA and let both compete in an open market?

Quote · 30 Dec 2017

As I said, most of the modules' purpose is evident by their name.  A few are not.  Files module, handles the uploading and sharing of files. Photos module, handles the uploading and sharing of photos; and so on.  It would be easier for you to list the modules here that you don't know the purpose and we will answer.

Geeks, making the world a better place
Quote · 30 Dec 2017

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.