Get old uni template back?

I'm sorry, but I am totally hating 7.1.  For one, it is one of the most ugly things I have ever seen.  Maybe I was different, but I didn't think the old uni template was that bad - at least it was neutral.  This new battleship grey, which the call "breathtakingly beautiful" is the most ridiculous hype I have ever swallowed.  Looks like I have months of work ahead of me to just get back to where I started from making the mistake of doing this upgrade. 

Quote · 15 Nov 2012

I'd have to agree with your assessment of the uni template.  The good news is, it's a lot easier to change than the old uni template.  To change the old uni template, you had to create a ton of images to override the base images.  The 7.1 uni template is almost entirely css based, so you don't have all those images to replace.

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 15 Nov 2012

I'm confident a developer will create a NEW Uni template for the 7.1 because of all of the feedback.

I personally prefer more subdued colors, but I think the "texture" looks less professional than the 7.0.9 Uni template.

Quote · 15 Nov 2012

Yeah, that part about changing the template looks better, but god this thing looks like crap now.  All the header blocks have tiny little text in all caps now - It looks like it was designed by a third grader - I should have been tipped off when I saw what they did to the Boonex forum here.   hope one of  the template designers will consider rebuilding the old uni template.  I have an ugly mess now and gained very little.  I have spent the last hour dicking around installing a mod just to remove the search header - and it didn't even completely work.   Now we have to do mods just to remove crap that wasn't there before!     They are probably going to be pissed at me for what I post here but I am disgusted at the moment.  

Quote · 15 Nov 2012

I'm currently working on a 7.1 template which mimics the old look of UNI.  It's about 50% done now.

BoonEx Certified Host: Zarconia.net - Fully Supported Shared and Dedicated for Dolphin
Quote · 15 Nov 2012

That is a good idea Nathan - I don't know why they dumped it in the first place - the new one is awful.    I am thinking of rebuilding my old 7.0.9 site.  This whole thing has been a train wreck.  7.1 might be ok for a new site since presumably it will get better over time, but I think it is a mistake for anyone to do an upgrade.  Honestly, I don't think they tested it much at all - just dumped it on this community for testing. 

Quote · 15 Nov 2012

That is a good idea Nathan - I don't know why they dumped it in the first place - the new one is awful.    I am thinking of rebuilding my old 7.0.9 site.  This whole thing has been a train wreck.  7.1 might be ok for a new site since presumably it will get better over time, but I think it is a mistake for anyone to do an upgrade.  Honestly, I don't think they tested it much at all - just dumped it on this community for testing. 

It's a beta...

I like to think of the new template as a good starting point to create your own look.  The way it's done now makes it a lot easier to customize (as houstonlively said).  People should aim for their own look.

BoonEx Certified Host: Zarconia.net - Fully Supported Shared and Dedicated for Dolphin
Quote · 15 Nov 2012

Nathan, you can stop saying "its a beta" anytime now.   Boonex repeatedly posted that this was going to be "more stable" than 7.0.9 and while I knew the upgrade would likely trash some mods, I had no way of knowing it would trash so many existing functions, or totally destroy the appearance of our sites.    The hype was way over the top this time - must likely related to the price increase, but they apparently didn't test the most basic functions - like moving blocks around.    I would really discourage anyone from doing this "upgrade" and I think I would even discourage them from starting a new site with 7.1. 

Quote · 15 Nov 2012

Nathan, how far along are we?

Ultra Newb reporting for duty.
Quote · 17 Nov 2012

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.