Getting - =?UTF-8?B??= in e-Mail Subject Lines

When a new member enrolls, we get a new member notification e-mail, followed by another e-mail that is blank, but with the following as the subject:

Subj: =?UTF-8?B??=

Any idea what's causing that and where we can fix it?

Quote · 5 Apr 2016

Is the "Site Title" block (under basic settings) empty?

7.3.5 with responsive UNI
Quote · 5 Apr 2016

Is the "Site Title" block (under basic settings) empty?

No it's not blank... it has the site name Flippers Warehouse

Quote · 5 Apr 2016

are you using the smtp mailer module?

caredesign.net
Quote · 6 Apr 2016

I have the same issue, it occurs in the 7.3.1 script only.

Is there a solution ?

Quote · 13 Jul 2016

I've been searching on the forum and bumped into a problem with missing email templates.

This doesn't seem to be the problem.

In dolphin 7.1.6 I had 26 email templates, in dolphin 7.3.1 there are 28 email templates.

None of them is empty (header nor body)

The problem occurs when a user joins or when the membership changes.

Quote · 13 Jul 2016

This may be related to another issue where the mail script uses \r\n and this causes issues with some clients.  If you want, you can read the RFC on email formats for a bit of fun.  You can look in the utils.inc file and try changing the \r\n to just \n in all places the mail function uses it.

Geeks, making the world a better place
Quote · 13 Jul 2016

Brrr ... reading ? My brain already hurts when I think of it.

I'll start with the utils.inc :-)

Thanks for the tip geek_girl !

Quote · 13 Jul 2016

Changing the utils.inc doesn't solve the problem :-(

Quote · 13 Jul 2016

What do these lines tell us anyway ?

466 $sMailSubject = '=?UTF-8?B?' . base64_encode( $sMailSubject ) . '?=';

467 $sMailHeader = "MIME-Version: 1.0\r\n" . $sMailHeader;

Quote · 13 Jul 2016

Did you change all instances of the \r\n?

Copy the email you get and paste it here or take a screenshot and attach it so we can see the nature of the problem.  Be sure to redact any sensitive information such as email addy.

Quote · 13 Jul 2016

Yes, I changed all 4 of them :-)

Screenshot attached, nothing much to see there except for the  =?UTF-8?B??= in the header.

I always receive 2 emails : one with this strange header, the second one is the correct one (saying new member has joined). 

Anyway, I receive them whenever an email is being sent through the site (new member, membership change, email confirmation, ...)

utfmail.jpg · 28.7K · 379 views
Quote · 13 Jul 2016

It's clearly a 7.3.1 problem, never occured before.

Or it must be server settings ? I also asked TMD to look into the issue, but they didn't answer so far.

Quote · 13 Jul 2016

TMD suggests to install the SMTP mailer module ??

I've never used this module before, why should it solve the issue ?

Quote · 13 Jul 2016

TMD suggests to install the SMTP mailer module ??

I've never used this module before, why should it solve the issue ?

Maybe it is a problem with the TMD mail server.  The SMTP module is for routing mail through a third party mail server instead of TMD's mail server.

Quote · 13 Jul 2016

What client are you using?  Have you tried checking the email on another client?

RFC2822 specifies that non ASCII characters have to be encoded; Boonex choose base 64 encoding. The email client should be able to decode; if not, then you can get strange stuff.

This only happens in join or membership emails?  If so, I would suspect it is the template; all mail will go out through the same mail script, and the same mail server.

Quote · 13 Jul 2016

I'm using outlook.

Strange thing is that I'm receiving all emails twice : once with the strange code, the other one in the correct template. So I don't think it's the mail client.

I only tested with new member, membership change and confirmation email. Guess the other emails will have the same issue.

TMD moved all my websites to another server lately. Because they suggest to install SMTP mailer, I suspect their server causing the problem.

Don't know ...

Quote · 13 Jul 2016

I just sent an email through the sites contact form and there is no problem.

So this must be a problem with the emails concerning members/memberships

Quote · 13 Jul 2016

Invite a friend also sends correct emails :-)

Quote · 13 Jul 2016

Know that the invite and contact forms are not sent through the email template system.  Emails that uses the template email system are sent to the template parser then to the email function that will send the email to your email server.  If you have a dedi, I recommend using Postfix.

Quote · 14 Jul 2016

I configured the SMTP mailer and that doesn't work either.

Getting desperate on this one ...

Quote · 14 Jul 2016

update : the problem is solved.

I had to configure my email client through the TMD cPanel -> email accounts, and use the settings in the SMTP mailer module.

This fixed the problem.

Quote · 14 Jul 2016

I confirm this solution!

I too have had the same problem with some notification sent from my site but after i install and set up the SMTP mailer the problem is solved!

Thanks a lot,
Cupid

Quote · 14 Jul 2016

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.