How To Move Website And Change Domain Name

Hi there. My domain name ran out and I have not used the site in a few months. I want to bring it back but under a new name..

My question is. How can I move my Dolphin 7 website to a new hosting account with "http://www.arvixe.com" and a new Domain name as well?

What do I need to move and edit? 

Thank you for your time

P.S. Not 100% sure it i's 7 or 7.1

Quote · 8 Feb 2014

What control do you have? cpanel, plesk, other ????

Quote · 8 Feb 2014

Changing Name Try this : http://forum.arvixe.com/smf/programming-questions-tutorials/changing-main-domain-name-same-server-account/

For moving your website : If you have cpanel its easy

"Your future is created by what you do today, not tomorrow." @ www.dexpertz.net
Quote · 8 Feb 2014

I have a Cpanel Yes and Both accounts are hosted with arvixe.com

Quote · 9 Feb 2014

If ALL you want to do is change the Domain name of 'where' your Dolphin should be pointed to, edit the inc/header.inc.php and change the:

$site['url'] around line 5

$dir['root']  around line 20

Change/Add the cron job to reflect your new domain name.

You will also need to go into the Admin Panel and change any values within Settings > Basic to reflect the new domain name. Clear all cache.

P.S. This is assuming that you are still using the same database.

Nothing to see here
Quote · 9 Feb 2014

OK thank you. Now how do i move the website files for my new work? and do i move the data bass or should i make a new one, I have no idea what do or how to do this, I never thought i would be moving this network or changing it's URL. 

Thank you for everyone's time

Quote · 9 Feb 2014

Options:

1. If you have access to cPanel (WHM), you can copy your accounts from one server to another.

2. Make a complete backup of your site files and database(s), then reupload them to the new server

3. All else fails, ask your host if they will do it for you.

Nothing to see here
Quote · 9 Feb 2014

OK thank you so much for your time. So another then the files i need to update for the domain change there are no other files to update after i move the website and database?

Quote · 10 Feb 2014

No one bothered to ask you if you registered your new domain name.  If you haven't, Network Solutions currently has domain registration for $0.99. Then, just set the dns pointers on network solutions to your new hosting providers name servers.

I would highly recommend that you register your own domain and be in complete control over it, as opposed to letting a hosting provider register it for you.  Good luck with that arvixe hosting.

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 10 Feb 2014

OK thank you so much for your time. So another then the files i need to update for the domain change there are no other files to update after i move the website and database?

Once the site files and database are copied over to the new server, make the changes in /inc/header.inc.php as described by Zarcon. You may also need to update the database name, username, and password to reflect the new values, if applicable. Remember to empty the /cache, /cache_public, and /tmp directories EXCEPT for the .htaccess files.

There should be no other Dolphin-related changes needed for your site to work. If you run into problems or hit a snag, feel free to send me a PM and I'll take a look.

BoonEx Certified Host: Zarconia.net - Fully Supported Shared and Dedicated for Dolphin
Quote · 10 Feb 2014

Thank you Nathan, All of you have been Awesome. I'm just waiting back for Arvixe to let me know everything has been moved over. I asked them to do it as i was not 100% sure what would be the best way to do the move. Hoping i can update the Damion info myself.

Quote · 11 Feb 2014

Moving domains & hosting is actually super simple. I do all my hosting and domains through https://www.101domain.com/web_hosting.htm . It's not too hard to switch over hosting, you'll just have to reconfigure some stuff but every hosting website has instructions for switching over nameservers, hosting, and even transferring domains. 

Quote · 27 Jun 2019

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.