How to add Admins / Mods?

How can I add Moderators and Administrators to my dolphin so they can have certain moderator / admin permissions on my dolphin?

Quote · 10 Jan 2010

To add more administrators: using a database client (such as phpMyAdmin), navigate to Database > Profiles > and the entry of the user account you wish to edit. Under the section labeled "Roles," change their number from "1," to "3."

To add moderators: Navigate to Admin > Settings > Membership Levels and create a new level called "Moderator." Or, whatever you like (hey, it's your site). When setting the price for this level, set it to nothing (unless you feel like a sell-out). Give the new level as much permission as you like, such as being able to edit certain content. To assign members to this position, simple edit their account and alter the membership level.

BoonEx Certified Host: Zarconia.net - Fully Supported Shared and Dedicated for Dolphin
Quote · 10 Jan 2010

Also how we know if any video or photo waiting for approval/moderation?

Quote · 10 Jan 2010

To add more administrators: using a database client (such as phpMyAdmin), navigate to Database > Profiles > and the entry of the user account you wish to edit. Under the section labeled "Roles," change their number from "1," to "3."

To add moderators: Navigate to Admin > Settings > Membership Levels and create a new level called "Moderator." Or, whatever you like (hey, it's your site). When setting the price for this level, set it to nothing (unless you feel like a sell-out). Give the new level as much permission as you like, such as being able to edit certain content. To assign members to this position, simple edit their account and alter the membership level.

Thanks mate that really helped!

Quote · 10 Jan 2010

I could not see any options in D7. There are options in D6. If anybody knows, please tell.

For your first question, see above.

For your second question, when you upload media, you will be brought to a page where the content in question is awaiting processing/approval. It's clearly visible from there, and you can navigate around the other pages for more options.

BoonEx Certified Host: Zarconia.net - Fully Supported Shared and Dedicated for Dolphin
Quote · 10 Jan 2010

I could not see any options in D7. There are options in D6. If anybody knows, please tell.

For your second question, when you upload media, you will be brought to a page where the content in question is awaiting processing/approval. It's clearly visible from there, and you can navigate around the other pages for more options.

Sorry, your answer is not clear. When I log in as admin, I cant see anything in the admin dashboard even if something waiting for approval!

Quote · 10 Jan 2010

Sorry, your answer is not clear. When I log in as admin, I cant see anything in the admin dashboard even if something waiting for approval!

I described how for the user. For administrators, go to Admin > Modules > <module name here> and you should see on the first page a section where you can manage content. You can check the content you wish to moderate and approve it, make it unapproved, make it featured, or delete it.

Quote · 10 Jan 2010

Is there a way I can limit the admins to what they can access in Admin CP in Dolphin 7?

Quote · 10 Jan 2010

Is there a way I can limit the admins to what they can access in Admin CP in Dolphin 7?

Unfortunately, when you make them an administrator, you make them a true administrator. There is no way (besides heavy re-coding) to set access levels within the administration panel beyond the simple member/administrator setting.

Quote · 10 Jan 2010

Magnussoft,

I know that. But you should remember the photo/video you saw there last time. Otherwise you can't understand whether it is an approved one or its an item waiting for approval! This is very bad. In D6 this is very easy. Here the photo/video will stay there even after the approval! Also you can't understand this from the dashboeard itself. Any solution for this?

Quote · 10 Jan 2010

Magnussoft,

I know that. But you should remember the photo/video you saw there last time. Otherwise you can't understand whether it is an approved one or its an item waiting for approval! This is very bad. In D6 this is very easy. Here the photo/video will stay there even after the approval! Also you can't understand this from the dashboeard itself. Any solution for this?

It is true (and very bad/annoying) that approved and non-approved content are not well separated in the administration panel.

As for the user-side of things, it is different. When uploading a video, they are brought to the processing page, where they are told it is currently processing. On this page, there are links to other pages for their videos, such as: Main, Edit album, Organize, Add Videos, Manage objects, Disapproved, Not processed, Failed.

You can easily see if your content has been approved or not from there, as well.

Quote · 10 Jan 2010

@aneeesh,

please do not hijack a thread topic. this was generated with the question about additional admins and moderators. if you need assistance with knowing what is pending approval sir, please start your own thread on that topic.

the reason would be two fold, the original poster can follow his thread, and once the search link gets put back on this forum, his thread and your thread would be more searchable if there was not a mix of questions under one thread.

Magnussoft,

Regards,

DosDawg

When a GIG is not enough --> Terabyte Dolphin Technical Support - Server Management and Support
Quote · 10 Jan 2010

@aneeesh,

please do not hijack a thread topic. this was generated with the question about additional admins and moderators. if you need assistance with knowing what is pending approval sir, please start your own thread on that topic.

the reason would be two fold, the original poster can follow his thread, and once the search link gets put back on this forum, his thread and your thread would be more searchable if there was not a mix of questions under one thread.

Magnussoft,

Regards,

DosDawg

You never answer, if something ask you seriously!!!

What  do you say about this thread? http://www.boonex.com/unity/forums/?action=goto&my_threads=1#topic/Some-chat-module-questions-.htm

Quote · 10 Jan 2010

<Snip>

You never answer, if something ask you seriously!!!

What  do you say about this thread? http://www.boonex.com/unity/forums/?action=goto&my_threads=1#topic/Some-chat-module-questions-.htm

If no one knows the answer, they will not answer your thread. It's as simple as that. I'm sorry you couldn't find an answer to your question. I was one of the people trying to find a solution to that and I could never manage to get it working correctly.

Quote · 10 Jan 2010

So, I've been trolling around trying to find a reason or an explanation of Boonex's logic in this...and I'm seriously hoping I'm missing something.  I have been up for 3 days straight trying to get Dolphin going on my OSX box.

Question: why in the world do we have to do a direct database update to switch someone over to an admin?  Why isn't there just a drop-down box to select it or a link to make it happen?  I've never seen such a robust program that asks you to still do something like edit the db directly to make a user-level change!

Thanks!

Quote · 28 Jan 2010

So, I've been trolling around trying to find a reason or an explanation of Boonex's logic in this...and I'm seriously hoping I'm missing something.  I have been up for 3 days straight trying to get Dolphin going on my OSX box.

Question: why in the world do we have to do a direct database update to switch someone over to an admin?  Why isn't there just a drop-down box to select it or a link to make it happen?  I've never seen such a robust program that asks you to still do something like edit the db directly to make a user-level change!

Thanks!

It's not a question of why, since everyone here knows the answer: they do not follow the same laws of common sense as we do. That said, you have two options to add or remove administrators:

a) using a database client (such as phpMyAdmin), navigate to: database, profiles, and the entry of the account you wish to edit. When editing this entry, you will see a field called "Role," which will have a the number "1" entered. Change this number to "3," save your changes, and empty the cache of your web site.

b) download the ever-so popular Deano's Tools from the Unity Market for free, which provides you with various additions to your Dolphin installation which will make management far easier, such as the creation and removal of new administrators.

To be honest, I got used to having to go database-diving a long time ago, and now I actually enjoy it (somewhat). Maybe I've gone mad...

Quote · 28 Jan 2010

Actually, aneesh's question is directly related (imo) to the question of adding moderators.  I have added a moderator (using the membership level function) and given the moderator the permission there to approve photos.  However, said moderator cannot see what photos are and are not pending approval nor is there any place (it seems) for her to approve them anyway.  I can, of course, see this in the admin panel.

The moderator isn't actually a moderator without that functionality and I don't see how to add it.

@aneeesh,

Magnussoft,

Regards,

DosDawg

Quote · 22 Mar 2010

Thank, Magnus!  Very helpful tips.

Quote · 12 May 2010

Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but I am struggling to add a moderator.

I can get to the the point where I create a new "Moderator" level, but I cannot seem to set ant permissions for it? All I can set are things like "comments edit own" etc... It doesnen't seem to clear on what a moderator can do?

Thanks

EDIT, I think I have worked it out! Thanks

Quote · 25 Jan 2011

For me i create a new membership with all forums permision but that no  have manage forum  only the administrator for the website can manage the forums??? i can specify one user to admin the orca forum?

www.tumundo247.com - www.rampletea.com - www.clasificadosnetwork.com
Quote · 29 Jun 2011

For me i create a new membership with all forums permision but that no  have manage forum  only the administrator for the website can manage the forums??? i can specify one user to admin the orca forum?

You can create new administrators (see above), but you can't limit their powers.

Quote · 29 Jun 2011

Just get Deanos tools mod, that has admin section to allocate members to admin status. 

Easy.

Quote · 30 Jun 2011

I agree that adding mods is not easy! I created a mod level, set its permissions, set users as mods. But they cannot add News, Articles, etc because this has to be done inside the Admin panel, which they cant access. I NEED to enable this functionality for my mods.

Linux PC Plus
Quote · 26 Sep 2012

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.