How to change IBDWSpyWall to match your templates

First of all, the IBDWSpyWall mod is a fantastic addition to a Dolphin site.  If you don't have it, you're really missing out,

If there is anything wrong with this module, it's being stuck with one style.  Fortunately, there is an easy fix for this, if you want to style the SpyWall mod to match your custom template, or any number of custom templates for that matter.

The first thing you need to do, is copy the entire contents of your spywall/css directory to each of your templates/tmpl_xxx/css/ directories.   There is a directory named 'immagini', and the 'spywallstyle.css' file.

The next step, is to call the sypwallstyle.css file separately, and directly from each custom site template.  Each of your sites templates, should have a _header.html file in the templates main directory.  If it doesn't, make a copy of the one in your /templates/base/ directory and place it in the templates main directory,

The next step is to call each /templates/tmpl_xxxx/css/spywallstyle.css file, from each templates _header.html file.  In each _header.html file, add the line below between the opening and closing header tags, and save the file on your server:

<link type="text/css" href="<bx_url_root />templates/tmpl_xxxx/css/spywallstyle.css" rel="stylesheet" />

Finally, you must delete the contents of your /modules/ibdw/spywall/css/spywallstyle.css file and save it to your server.  Do NOT delete the file.... this is important.  The file needs to be there, but it must be blank.

The rest is up to you.  When you switch to any of your sites custom templates, the spywall module will now use the spywallstyle.css files and images in the templates/tmpl_xxxx/css/ directories.  All you have to do is modify each spywallstyle.css file to match the respective template.

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 6 Dec 2010

Thanks for sharing HL

Quote · 6 Dec 2010

That's a good post HL but if you only have a few issues, you only need to change the level of importance.

In the css file for the spywall on the corresponding lines that are in conflict, you can just remove the "!important" from the line. This will allow the site script to take precedence.

I just received this tip from the developer and I know from past changes that it helps to solve many issues. Either by adding it to a line or removing it. I am currently making changes to the css file to allow the use of multiple templates on my site.

http://towtalk.net ... Hosted by Zarconia.net!
Quote · 6 Dec 2010

That's a good post HL but if you only have a few issues, you only need to change the level of importance.

In the css file for the spywall on the corresponding lines that are in conflict, you can just remove the "!important" from the line. This will allow the site script to take precedence.

I just received this tip from the developer and I know from past changes that it helps to solve many issues. Either by adding it to a line or removing it. I am currently making changes to the css file to allow the use of multiple templates on my site.

Many of the css identifiers/classes are unique to Spywall.  The associated css rules need to change with a template switch.  My site has 4 different templates that users can choose, and I see no other way to completely customize the look of spywall to match those templates.

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 6 Dec 2010

Exactly, That's my point. If you only have a few issues, you may be able to solve them by changing the "!important" attribute, if not, then your way would work best.

We need to work on our communication skills HL, (lol)

Oh, one more question. If the site css uses one name to describe something and the mod css file uses another name for the exact same item, wouldn't the site css take precedence over the mod css unless you make the mod css name take precedence by adding the !important attribute?

Quote · 6 Dec 2010

CSS does not assign names.. it only adds rules to names that already exist.  I guess the point I'm trying to make, is that the majority of css identifiers/classes used in this module, are in Italian.  What are the odds of a bunch of Russian guys using Italian names for anything?  (I concede that it never even occurred to me to check)

If you think your spywall look will update to match any of your sites custom templates by removing the !important declarations next to the IDs and classes with Italian names, by all means do so.  Let me know how that works out for ya.

So you think my communications skills are lacking???  Kindly explain.

Quote · 6 Dec 2010

You didn't answer my question.

Quote · 7 Dec 2010

You didn't answer my question.

I always ignore questions that make no sense, and I'm not looking for an argument.

If you don't want to follow any of the methods in the original post.... then don't.

Quote · 7 Dec 2010

O...K.

Quote · 7 Dec 2010

Does this fix still apply with the recent updates to the IBDW spywall?

Quote · 4 Feb 2011

No.

Quote · 4 Feb 2011

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.