How to evaluate a dating site / community site script

I am currently evaluating community site scripts  - especially for dating sites.

The big question is: Make or buy?

Having a ready-made software had the following advantages:

• a lot less expenses for development (e.g. 1000 USD vs. 50,000-100,000 USD)
  • constants updates and new features
  • a "standard" other people understand -> easy to find freelancers or companies for modifications or data migrations
  • no need to write documentation, as it is already delivered by the manufacturer
Disadvantages:
  • if a hacker finds out a security exploit/hole, all sites are affected and you need to react quickly
  • flexibility - you are restricted in what you can do and are limited to improve usability
  • big overhead, as you often don't need all the bells and whistles
Concerning one of the major drawbacks of a ready-made software, I would like to let you know how I personally evaluate the flexibility of a software.
Example: A script for a dating site
- look at the dating sites market and find out the top 5 dating sites
- try to "clone" those sites and see whether the ready-made software is flexible enough to modify/adapt the default site to look/behave like those sites. If successful, it is very likely you will also be able to implement you own current and future ideas with this software.
Here, I quickly reach the conclusion, this is not (yet?) possible with Dolpin:
- even simple things such as an effective sign-up like on flirt.com, match.com,  etc. is not possible.
Sign-up is the most crucial part of a website - as maximizing the number up signups will influence the growth of a site. If you have 200 signups instead of 50, this makes a big difference
- the navigation / usability relies on a fixed structure. It is not possible to make the site more usable and reduce the number of clicks to reach a goal
- it is not possible to disable/overwrite all functionality
- it is a big "mess" trying to implement a 100% different layout/design that has nothing to do with the original.
  E.g. try to implement a site like easyflirt.de, flirt.com, meetic.com, mingle2.com or plentyoffish.com with it.
Quote · 8 Nov 2011

Firstly starting another dating service is a suicide as there is million of them. Key of profitability is to be unique I dont believe that with classic dating site u can earn any money todays unless it will be very specific dating site with close to zero competetion.

Secondly dolphin itself cant be usefull for basicly any profi purpose. Only way is buy tons of 3rd party mods so initial investment count in thousands dollars anyway ( because most of 3rd party scripts are not compatible with each other u will have to pay for custom work to actually make 3rd party mods to work with each other). Because your site will be heavilly modded every upgrade will be really paintfull and gonna cost you fortune as there gonna be quite coding work with each update unless u are good coder yourself.

True is dolphin is good as a start base and true  - your investments not gonna be like 50.000, 100000 usd or more dollars but still you gonna invest constantly a big money into your site if u are not programmer and not speak of many hours of time....

ANother aspect is there is no documentation for end users with dolphin so your point about supplied doc for dolphin not apply here.

DOnt want to keep u back but want u consider all aspect so u can decide...

Quote · 8 Nov 2011

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.