How you handle invalid email addresses?

Hi all:

I just want to know how you handle members with invalid email addresses; members that sign up in your site with a valid email address that is later closed (becoming invalid). 

So...

1) How do you detect that an email address no longer exists? I mean, besides sending an email and getting back a 'Mail delivery failed' notice :)

2) What do you do with that member? Mark it as 'unconfirmed', 'suspended'? 

I would appreciate any feedback.

Quote · 8 Jun 2018

Most hosting services offer email accounts to their clients. If a member has an account with Host X , but changes to Host Y, then the account with Host X will become void, The member may be loyal to your site, but simply forgot to update their new email address. It happens all the time.

if you send out a bulk mailing and get a bounce from Host X, does it mean your loyal member has ditched you? 

No! 

If it concerns you that much, you could message the member and tell them that a recent email bounced. You could politely say that they have x days to update their email or you will suspend their account.

Personally I wouldn't bother. What's more important is when the member last visited the site. Was it last week or a year ago?

I have a small free mod that allows you to see when a member last visited their profile. I would consider anyone who hasn't visited for a year as someone who's no longer interested in the site. I'd be deleting or suspending  their profile under those circumstances.

https://www.boonex.com/forums/topic/Profile-Visits-View-Counter.htm

Quote · 9 Jun 2018

Thanks for the feedback johnk42.

Quote · 10 Jun 2018

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.