Installation problem

Please help!  I'm new to this software and hosting thing.  I have Dolphin installed up to where it asks for my sql database information.  When I enter it, it gives an error "Access denied for user 'username'@localhost (using password: YES).

I have tried many different database names, usernames, and passwords.  They have not worked.

I am using bluehost as my hosting site.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

JC

Quote · 23 May 2008

Switch your domain hosting to ixwebhosting.com

They are brilliant!

Quote · 24 May 2008

Firstly add the user to database.

If you are looking for hosting, I can provide 100% working hosting. http://cpanel.happy-hosting.com

----
Quote · 24 May 2008

Hi,

There are a few things that could be wrong.

1st thing to make sure is that you have created a database and have the correct database name and correct user name and password. If you have to start fresh and create a new database.

2nd thing is that some hosts add their user name to the mix. I use hostforweb and when I joined they gave me a user name. Lets say for example it was "newuser"

Next i went and set up a database. i called it "dolphin1" and I just put "admin" for the username.

Just after i set that up, on teh confirmation screen it told me that my database had been set up and that my database name and user name were as follows -

database name: newuser_dolphin1

user name: newuser_admin

It didnt change my password. So you see the system added the newuser_ bit to my database name and user name and it took me a few attempts before I realised it had done this.

You might want to check and confirm your dtabase and user names before you try again.

Cheers

Max

Quote · 1 Jun 2008

Hi,

There are a few things that could be wrong.

1st thing to make sure is that you have created a database and have the correct database name and correct user name and password. If you have to start fresh and create a new database.

2nd thing is that some hosts add their user name to the mix. I use hostforweb and when I joined they gave me a user name. Lets say for example it was "newuser"

Next i went and set up a database. i called it "dolphin1" and I just put "admin" for the username.

Just after i set that up, on teh confirmation screen it told me that my database had been set up and that my database name and user name were as follows -

database name: newuser_dolphin1

user name: newuser_admin

It didnt change my password. So you see the system added the newuser_ bit to my database name and user name and it took me a few attempts before I realised it had done this.

You might want to check and confirm your dtabase and user names before you try again.

Cheers

Max

excellent post max. i have often found new users who were having that problem. but the one thing you forgot to mention max, is that after he creates the username and dbase with a password. this user needs to have permissions granted to him on that dbase. i would go out on a limb and say that is the problem with this guys connection. i woul almost be willing to bet this one.

later,

DosDawg

When a GIG is not enough --> Terabyte Dolphin Technical Support - Server Management and Support
Quote · 3 Jun 2008

Hi,

Yes its porbable that his permissions arent set correctly either...although to be honest during the install process the setting of permissions and the ability to hit the check button and see all the red or green permissions was a great feature. However I got exactly the same error message and it took a lot of back tracking and trying out different things to get it right.

I ended up re-installing the whole thing before I got it right.

So yup, make sure all your permissions are set correctly, make sure everything in the install is green for correct.

And check your database and user names.

Oh and Boonex if you are listening, perhaps this would be a good one to add to your documentation.

Cheers

Max

Quote · 3 Jun 2008

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.