Is Boonex right for me?

Hi everyone, I originally posted this question in 'Answer', but I've not heard anything yet, so I'm tying here...

I'm hoping for some advice on whether to go with Dolphin and the other Boonex software, or look elsewhere.

I'm a new member with no experience of building websites.  I have an idea for building a community website, but at the moment it's not much more than an idea.  I'm prepared to spend the time learning (and I know it will take time and patience), but I don't want to set myself an impossible challenge.  I'm generally computer/tech savvy (logic appeals to my brain) and have a Mac at home. 

I've read that Dolphin is the best software, and the most powerful, but I've also heard that it takes some serious knowledge.  Maybe Pligg is best for me as a complete beginner...opinions much appreciated.  Thanks.

Jimbo

Quote · 14 Jan 2009

Welcome to the community.

First off, if you want to build a digg-like community then Pligg is what you need. It does not have the same set of community functions that Dolphin offers. While they both toute community, Dolphin is more social networking in the way facebook or linked-in would operate.

There are more Dolphin resources now than a year ago, so your knowledge ramp up time will be a lot fast than many of the Dolphin veterans on the forum here.

I have worked with phpFox, SocialEngine etc and will be working with Elgg in the next few months. To date, Dolphin is what does it for me. It has what my clients need and it has what my own Dolphin site needs.

Finally, avoid disappoint, get a good host that is compliant with Dolphin.

Good luck!

Updating my BoonexNerd.net site.
Quote · 14 Jan 2009

jtaedo, thanks for the welcome, and the advice, it's really helpful.

I do want social networking-like functionality, so Dolphin sounds right for me.  I want to build a community site (and subsequently a community) that links people together around common activities and shared places (meaning their geographical locations), so Digg probaly wouldn't do it.  I also want a database back-end, and I see from what I have understand, Dolphin will allow me to do this.

James

Quote · 15 Jan 2009

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.