Just getting started

The description of Dolphin sounded great so I decided to give it a try.

So far, from the admin panel, there seems to be almost no customization.

How do I move the site stats down?  They take up most of my above the fold space and just aren't that important.

When I create a user, why do they have to say if they're seeking a male or female.  Can't my users register themselves while dating someone they don't want to register with?  It feels more like a dating site than a social networking site.

Where is the skinning?

What is with that giant slideshow/waste of valuable screen space?

How do I turn off some of those buttons at the top?  What if I want my polls to be in a box on the main page instead of on a button at the top?

And what was with all that permissions agony during setup?  I'm cringing at the thought of going through that again to move it to my live server if I even want to install this again.

Quote · 4 Jul 2008

Okay, things like Articles and My Profile go to 404 error pages, and Chat and Boards say not registered.

How do I create a poll?  There's lots of places that let me moderate polls (which don't exist yet), but the polls page just says there aren't any.

Quote · 4 Jul 2008

For customization of menus, searches, and page sections, check out the Admin Builders section.

For skinning you'll need to look at creating a template. The default is "tmpl_uni". Copy it. Rename it. Mod it.

The flash slide thing can be turned off in Admin. Just upload something you like better.

I agree.

Dear Boonex folks...please include a script to handle permissions!

Quote · 5 Jul 2008

The description of Dolphin sounded great so I decided to give it a try.[DosDawg] yes it does lure you in with its shiny description.

So far, from the admin panel, there seems to be almost no customization. [DosDawg] there is plenty you can customize, its just not as simple as geocities or angelfire, so you have to look around further than the admin page by itself, open some of the links you will see there is an editor for css on the admin panel.

How do I move the site stats down? [DosDawg] the blocks are created with ajax, excellent technology, you will need to open your admin page, from the nav menu on the left, you will select builders, from that menu, you need to select pages builder, now this opens with a nav menu across the top you wll see on that nav menu that there is a link called "homepage" this is the index page of the site. clicking on the homepage will open the index page area where you can edit what is on there and where you want it located at. as mentioned, this is ajax and allows for drag and drop of the items that are in the columns.

They take up most of my above the fold space and just aren't that important.

When I create a user, why do they have to say if they're seeking a male or female. [DosDawg] you can change all of the required fields for this, you can turn off matching as well.

Can't my users register themselves while dating someone they don't want to register with?  It feels more like a dating site than a social networking site.

Where is the skinning? [DosDawg] skinning, this is a lost term on this script, there such thing as skinning, this is called templating when you are working with a dynamic scripting language such as dolphin or joomla or many others.

What is with that giant slideshow/waste of valuable screen space? [DosDawg] the giant area with all the wasted space can be changed from the admin area, this is done from the settings --> basic settings , and ticking use custom html block. or you can change the images that suit you and continue to use the flash loader.

How do I turn off some of those buttons at the top? [DosDawg] to change some of the nav menu buttons, you got to admin builders, navigation builders open the link for navigation builders, and just drag and drop what you want want on the menu. note that the block items under the menu item will also drop off the menu, so you need to be sure of what is on there, and make sure you dont have a user for it.

What if I want my polls to be in a box on the main page instead of on a button at the top? [DosDawg] if you create a poll it will show on the index page, as best i know, which would be the latest poll created. the link on the menu is for the archive of polls.

And what was with all that permissions agony during setup? [DosDawg] that is certainly one of the pains that dolphin presents that i think boonex should change on all future releases. there is no reason to have to chmod 80+ files to do an install. i use a flat text file and shell to chmod all my files, which take me about 2 seconds to get done.

I'm cringing at the thought of going through that again to move it to my live server if I even want to install this again.

i hope some of these answers have given you some insight on getting things straight.

later,
DosDawg

When a GIG is not enough --> Terabyte Dolphin Technical Support - Server Management and Support
Quote · 5 Jul 2008

So,  basically, to do something as important as change the template for the site, I have to manually edit the files, while the admin tools already go into a painfully minute level of what the do let you manage.  There's so many things in the tools but it misses the fundamentals?

BTW, anyone else have a lot of trouble with the forum putting the quoted part in a bunch of nested boxes I can't get rid of?  I had to cut and paste it out, I couldn't just delete the box.  But it makes it worse and I lose the colour coding of the text.

[DosDawg] the blocks are created with ajax, excellent technology, you will need to open your admin page, from the nav menu on the left, you will select builders, from that menu, you need to select pages builder, now this opens with a nav menu across the top you wll see on that nav menu that there is a link called "homepage" this is the index page of the site. clicking on the homepage will open the index page area where you can edit what is on there and where you want it located at. as mentioned, this is ajax and allows for drag and drop of the items that are in the columns.

I see.  It doesn't show up at all in IE (which is my only option at work).  Nice job there.  On firefox, it shows up, but works I have to hold the box in the new section for several seconds for it to create the new dotted space for it.  That delay made me think it wasn't working because all I could do was re-arrange the boxes, not remove them or change the column.  Now it works -- if I use the right browser, but feels clunky because the delay just feels non-responsive.

change all of the required fields for this, you can turn off matching as well.

I'm sure you're right, but I still haven't found it. 

[DosDawg] skinning, this is a lost term on this script, there such thing as skinning, this is called templating when you are working with a dynamic scripting language such as dolphin or joomla or many others.

Same idea, but the previous poster answered that.  I'm used to PHP-Nuke style themes.  This way sounds like a pita.

[DosDawg] the giant area with all the wasted space can be changed from the admin area, this is done from the settings --> basic settings , and ticking use custom html block. or you can change the images that suit you and continue to use the flash loader.

I saw where I can reduce it to a single image (and I do want a single image there, just a lot smaller).  But I don't see where to change the size.

Also, on IE some of the time, the box is still big, but the images are tiny in the lower right corner of that box.

[DosDawg] to change some of the nav menu buttons, you got to admin builders, navigation builders open the link for navigation builders, and just drag and drop what you want want on the menu. note that the block items under the menu item will also drop off the menu, so you need to be sure of what is on there, and make sure you dont have a user for it.

That's also totally blank from IE.  From Firefox it's pretty counterintutive.  I'll try again when I get home, but I didn't see a way to do it when I did find the way to move the blocks around.

create a poll it will show on the index page, as best i know, which would be the latest poll created. the link on the menu is for the archive of polls.

And how do I create a poll (either as admin or user, though I don't want my users creating polls and I think I turned that off from the admin tool).

that dolphin presents that i think boonex should change on all future releases. there is no reason to have to chmod 80+ files to do an install. i use a flat text file and shell to chmod all my files, which take me about 2 seconds to get done.

Then why can't they include the flat text file.  Not that it would help me, I'm testing it in a shared hosting environment where I don't have shell access.  It took me about 45 mintes using the host's custom file manager.

That did not exactly start me off on the right foot with this product.

That reminds me, I don't have access to the cron table, so I didn't set up that part at all.  It wasn't clear why this is necessary, but does that mean I shouldn't do a production install on a shared host?

i hope some of these answers have given you some insight on getting things straight.

They certainly have, and thank you for taking the time, but there are just so many other issues.  Some of which I mentioned here.

People keep recommending Dolphin (with a module) to offer geocities/tripod type functionality, but I haven't found any modules at all or how they are installed much less a web page creation module.

Quote · 7 Jul 2008

are you talking about the forum having [L[Forums] on there. you need to compile your language file for orca. when you open orca you see en next to manage forums, click that and it should say sucessful. refresh your page, and should be good to go.

later,

DosDawg

When a GIG is not enough --> Terabyte Dolphin Technical Support - Server Management and Support
Quote · 7 Jul 2008

or were you talking about on here when you reply from a quote perspective, that is the only thing that i know will nest a border.

later,

DosDawg

Quote · 7 Jul 2008

just curious, you mention that in admin you are limited to what you can manage, specifically what are you referring to?

secondly, you mention that there are so many tools, but that they are missing the fundementals? again specifically what are you referring to?

later,

DosDawg

Quote · 7 Jul 2008

just curious, you mention that in admin you are limited to what you can manage, specifically what are you referring to?

secondly, you mention that there are so many tools, but that they are missing the fundementals? again specifically what are you referring to?

later,

DosDawg

I mean in this forum, but isn't it their same software?  In my reply above to your post, I wanted to post it without those nexted boxes which are visible and the forced italics.  I suppose I could have pasted the whole thing to notepad and back into the browser, but why should that be needed?

It's just so frustrating.  I got logged out here, no problem, except that when I click quote at the bottom of the page it leaves me at the bottom of the page with a note at the top that I'm logged out.  Wow, the developers think I can read parts of the page not on the screen?  So I'm left trying to figure out why the quote button doesn't work.

When I mentioned being limited in what I could managed, I specifically meant templates/themes/skins, whatever the vernacular is.

Quote · 7 Jul 2008

wow another one with a $1.99 host and not even bothered to read the docs or forums

Wow, another pathetic little forum troll who is too stupid it make a positive contribution so they make themselves feel big by insulting the newbie.  Wherever you go, it's the same internet.

Not that it matters, but I do have a dedicated server.  I'm trying out a bunch of these scripts, and I'd rather not load tons of unknown code (possible trojans) on my production server, so I have a shared hosting account as a test environment.  I also don't mean to imply that this software might have a trojan, just there's a lot of other scripts I'm testing as well, so why risk it until I'm sure I want to run it.

Quote · 7 Jul 2008

wow another one with a $1.99 host and not even bothered to read the docs or forums

Wow, another pathetic little forum troll who is too stupid it make a positive contribution so they make themselves feel big by insulting the newbie.  Wherever you go, it's the same internet.

Not that it matters, but I do have a dedicated server.  I'm trying out a bunch of these scripts, and I'd rather not load tons of unknown code (possible trojans) on my production server, so I have a shared hosting account as a test environment.  I also don't mean to imply that this software might have a trojan, just there's a lot of other scripts I'm testing as well, so why risk it until I'm sure I want to run it.

socrat,

in all fairness, sammie is not a forum troll, and if you read what you post, nowhere do you state your wherewithal and intent of this script. there are just so many who are on here who want the free version, want $1.99 hosting, and then want to come in here with all their complaints about how the script doesnt work. i think if you read some of sammies posts she has most certainly contributed to this community, and will continue to contribute. just sometimes, just as trying to get the script to run for you, so is trying to get the users who download and install this script, to understand the importance of reading the install wiki files. true they may not be up to date, but it gives you some sort of insight on how things can or should work.

sammie is a good person, just wanted to add that part in there so you are not mislead by her forthright responses on here.

later,

DosDawg

Quote · 7 Jul 2008

Dude in responce to all of your questions...

If you would read the manual or take a moment to play around you would relise how much of a retard you look like right now. It looks like to me you installed dolphin and it didnt have one of those "easy" buttons  in plain site so you came here to whine to us.

Play with it everything you want to do can be EASYLY done with the drag and drop page builder interace!

As far as your premissions problem goes I have a script I wrote to help with that. You can see it here

http://ryneyday.blogspot.com/

Quote · 8 Jul 2008

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.