Member profile not found

Hello, i am currently testing my community. I made a profile and filled in some info and pictures. When I go to the Home and select on the profile, i get an error 404 page. The url is set up to show the member ID after the url (ex. mysite.com/MYNAME) except it won't go to the profile. I have looked through the admin but I dont see any control over the URL ID settings. Any help?

Quote · 3 Jan 2009

I also noticed that the a lot of the top menu links dont work either. Blogs, photos, music, videos, and events direct me to a 404 page.

Quote · 3 Jan 2009

Disable Friendly profile permalinks in Admin Panel -> Settings -> Permalinks

After disabling permalinks you need to recompile Navigation Menu Builder in Admin Panel -> Builders -> Navigation Menu Builder by moving any block here.

More here

Dolphin Doc

Quote · 3 Jan 2009

Thanks Okweb, I followed the directions and turned the permalink off for member profiles. That fixed my problem with viewing profiles. However, all of the meny items on the top still give me a 404 page except for polls and everything after.

Quote · 5 Jan 2009

Okay I understand what the second part of the directions ask me to do. Basically just drag any menu item up to the active area and it somehow makes everything work. I dragged the Photo menu item up to the top and then check to see if it worked. It worked but also created two Photos menu items, but after deleting it everything works fine. Hope this helps anyone with the same problem in the future.

Thanks again okweb

Quote · 5 Jan 2009

PKR,

could you check on your htaccess files size for me? i think your htaccess mod_rewrite didnt get transferred, that is why you were getting 404's on those menu items.

OKWeb, do you not think its detrimental to SEO for them to turn off the permalinks, which are in fact SEF Urls via mod_rewrite?

I have seen this posted a few times, and just wondering why we would opt to turn off SEF url's versuses making sure the htaccess transferred when the files were uploaded. i have written about this numerous times. there are some server setups that do not allow uploading or downloading of the htaccess file. there are some ftp clients that will not upload or download htaccess files, and they have to be told that you want that file type. when you install dolphin, and you check your navigation menu, and you are getting 404's the most proper thing to do is to check your htaccess file, last resort would be to disable the permalinks.

Regards,
DosDawg

When a GIG is not enough --> Terabyte Dolphin Technical Support - Server Management and Support
Quote · 5 Jan 2009

Hi DosDawg

I agree with you, and if PKR reads what's here More here in my post,
he should have checked htaccess file first.
Ottar Smile
Quote · 5 Jan 2009

Originally, from what I can see the htaccess file in the Dolphin root folder is 123bytes. I did not do this at first, but to try to see if it worked, I copied the contents from the page that okweb presented and put those into the htaccess file. I deleted the one on the server and uploaded the new one. Before doing this I enabled the permalinks again. But it still doesnt work. But I dont understand one think. Even though the original htaccess file on the server shows to be 123bytes, the htaccess file on my hard drives, extracted from the zip, is almost 8kb. After replacing the contents of the original with the contents from this page, the file size is the same. Honestly, i did not check everything to see if it was exactly the same or not, but it seems like it. But even though, it should work right? And why is my htaccess file only 123bytes when the original extracted from the zip is almost 8kb?

Quote · 6 Jan 2009

Hi PKR

Then you miss most of the .htaccess files, proberly don't get transferred like DosDawg said.

Here is what you can do,

rename your .htaccess file on your computer, upload it and then rename it back to .htaccess

Enabled the permalinks again

After you have done this you need to recompile Navigation Menu Builder in Admin Panel -> Builders -> Navigation Menu Builder by moving any block here.

Ottar

Quote · 6 Jan 2009

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.