Migrating From D7 to UNA

Happy Holidays & a New Year 2020 Everyone !

After reading some threads about moving to UNA, I see that most of 3rd party Mods such as Modzzz will not work on UNA.  I can live with that since I am more interested in some new UNA features such as Twitter & FB Mods which I don't see on D7 today.

>> These are some of the questions I have:
1>  Currently I have D7 license, can I use the same license for UNA ? if not, what is the cost to have a permanent license for UNA ?
2>  Can I migrate only my users profiles to UNA including their videos and photos ?
3>  I subscribed to una.io and expected to see my username part of my profile url - exp: una.io/Mike - but I couldn't see that.  Does UNA use same concept as D7 & Twitter where users can have their own URL link exp:  una.io/mikeuna.io/merry etc..  ?   

4> I don't need hosting for UNA, can I install UNA on my dedicated server ? are there folks around in this community who have installed UNA and willing to assist ? of course I am willing to pay a fee for their service. Feel free to send me PM.

Thanks !

Quote · 26 Dec 2019

Hello Morocco!

I'll post the answer to your from the support mail:

Yes, if you have a Dolphin Permanent license, it can be transferred to UNA Power Plan license.
This Power Plan license will be free of charge and lifetime.
To do the transfer, we need the following information from you:

1) Dolphin Permanent license ID
2) UNA.IO profile ID or profile link

We have Dolphin migration tool which transfers all content form default Dolphin modules to UNA, but any 3rd party modules will not be converted. 

UNA doesn't have profile links like www.una.io/Morocco For now it looks like https://una.io/page/view-persons-profile?id=[some id].
Quote · 27 Dec 2019

UNA can be installed on your own dedicated server.  The install process is pretty much like Dolphin; if you have installed Dolphin then you can install UNA.  I do offer services.

Geeks, making the world a better place
Quote · 28 Dec 2019

Thanks LeonidS !

Profile link such as www.una.io/Morocco
 is one of the most important features which you have on D7 today. I can't believe UNA does not have this feature..  Imagine if Twitter telling their millions of users to start using Twitter.com with some random IDs such as Twitter.com/8347456484574  rather than Twitter.com/NPR - Do you expect millions of people to switch their Twitter Name to a Twitter ID ?  It will be the end of Twitter..

I can’t do this to my users, I will loose most of them, this makes no sense.

Do you know if UNA is planning to implement this profile link feature similar to D7 & Twitter ?  I can’t do anything with UNA right now, it will be a suicide for me..

@geek_girl
 I had no idea UNA is similar to D7 as far as installation/upgrades are concerned which I’ve done few times.

Happy New Year !!

Quote · 30 Dec 2019

Hello Morocco and Happy New Year!

Yes, we plan to implement this thing in the future version of UNA, this is one of our way to do it https://github.com/unaio/una/issues/1091

Quote · 2 Jan 2020

Hello Morocco and Happy New Year!

Yes, we plan to implement this thing in the future version of UNA, this is one of our way to do it https://github.com/unaio/una/issues/1091

If you follow the link you will see that UNA WILL NOT have the pretty profile links you are requesting.  Funny that Dolphin has it but Andrew gives a whole list of reasons why they won't have it for UNA; the reasons were never an issue in Dolphin and I have been running a Dolphin site since 2012.

Quote · 4 Jan 2020

@geek_girl - what I found confusing is, why this is an issue for UNA ? Looks like a poor design & poor planning.. If this was initially planned properly & if D7 concept was used, this wouldn't be an issue for UNA today. If you already built a solid foundation that has been working for years, why wouldn't you build upon the same foundation ? This makes no sense..  

The example I gave for Twitter users is a perfect example. Imagine if today Twitter tells its community to change their profile url to some a random numbers from lala land, that would be a suicide..  This is what Boonex is doing to its platform & to its community.. This is a 2-steps forward and 1-step backwards unfortunately..       

Quote · 4 Jan 2020

@geek_girl - what I found confusing is, why this is an issue for UNA ? Looks like a poor design & poor planning.. If this was initially planned properly & if D7 concept was used, this wouldn't be an issue for UNA today. If you already built a solid foundation that has been working for years, why wouldn't you build upon the same foundation ? This makes no sense..  

The example I gave for Twitter users is a perfect example. Imagine if today Twitter tells its community to change their profile url to some a random numbers from lala land, that would be a suicide..  This is what Boonex is doing to its platform & to its community.. This is a 2-steps forward and 1-step backwards unfortunately..       

What you have to understand is that UNA is not a new platform.  UNA is the old Dolphin 8 code that was going to be the next big Dolphin; it was well hyped.  However, it never happened; changes in programmers etc over the years.  So instead Dolphin 6 continued into Dolphin 7 and Dolphin 8 was abandoned until Andrew decided to brush the cobwebs off of it and call it Dolphin; there was going to be two Dolphins until we finally got through Andrew's thick skull that you can't have TWO platforms with the same name.  I have a feeling though that UNA will eventually be called Dolphin.  The UNA studio was coded 11 years ago (maybe 12); it is why it is so damn shitty.

Quote · 5 Jan 2020

Don't do it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Michel - Meta-Travel.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TravelNotes.org - The Online Guide to Travel
Quote · 23 Mar 2020

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.