NON-MEMBER COMMENTS/GUESTBOOK

My community has fallen victim to a spammer leaving comments on some members guestbooks. These comments have ben in the form of links to a collection of sitess etc. That i do not approve of nor support. And not only that . My members do not need such activity on thier guestbooks. I have searched for almost two hours on Expertzz for a Mod or answer!! Is there a way to prevent Non-Member comments????

Quote · 29 Nov 2008

Normal you can do that at memebschip levels in admin- settings - membership
For non users set everything off

I hope this help you

Kids first
Quote · 29 Nov 2008

I deletd all actions for non-members and i then tested it i was able to write on a member guestbook well not being logged in.

Normal you can do that at memebschip levels in admin- settings - membership
For non users set everything off

I hope this help you

Quote · 29 Nov 2008

If I set all permissions of for non members, I can't come in to their profile, so also not in their guestbook...

Or else they have hack your site... what I not hope..

Kids first
Quote · 29 Nov 2008

Well i hope i was not a victim of hackers that would be a bad thing for sure. And i tested on my own guestbook i was able to write on it well i was not logged in, why is that and what did i not do correctly?

Quote · 29 Nov 2008

GuestBook

Stop this by checking to make sure there was a Sender ID when the guestbook record was being inserted.  You can add a simple line of code in the AddRecord() function of guestbook.php.

After (around line 295):
if ( !$record_recipient )
return $ret;

Add this code:
// Added to stop spam.
if ( $record_sender=="")
return $ret;

This will stop these spam records from being added to the tables.

from
http://www.boonex.com/unity/forums/topic/Guestbook-spam-attempts-help-getting-hammered-.htm

I don't know who the author was but I hope this helps.

The other thing I did to prevent automatic 'bots' was to rename guestbook.php. If you do this you will need to edit the files that call guestbook.php.

Stuart

There are none so blind as those that will not see.
Quote · 30 Nov 2008

Yes Thank you i was advised of this code add on earlier. i added this "if ( $record_sender=="")
return $ret;  my question is this did i do it correctly or was i supposed to add " // Added to stop spam " aswell.

GuestBook

Stop this by checking to make sure there was a Sender ID when the guestbook record was being inserted.  You can add a simple line of code in the AddRecord() function of guestbook.php.

After (around line 295):
if ( !$record_recipient )
return $ret;

Add this code:
// Added to stop spam.
if ( $record_sender=="")
return $ret;

This will stop these spam records from being added to the tables.

from
http://www.boonex.com/unity/forums/topic/Guestbook-spam-attempts-help-getting-hammered-.htm

I don't know who the author was but I hope this helps.

The other thing I did to prevent automatic 'bots' was to rename guestbook.php. If you do this you will need to edit the files that call guestbook.php.

Stuart

Quote · 30 Nov 2008

Hi Gatekeeper,

anything after // is a comment and will not affect the code. Whilst it is a good idea to comment your modifications it will work correctly without the comments.

Stuart

Quote · 30 Nov 2008

Code for restricting page access
restrict page access to non members. Insert on each members page you wish to restrict to members only.

$logged['member'] = member_auth( 0 );

Again I am not sure who the author is. I hope this helps if you are still having problems.

Stuart

Quote · 30 Nov 2008

Stuart038 i do thank you for your helpful comments as i thank killerhaai for hishelpful comments also. So far so good the spam seems to have stopped for now.

Quote · 1 Dec 2008

On this same question....I do not see anyplace where a member can delete their comments on their own profile.  I have checked off all of the correct membership things that one can especially the one that says "delete own comments" but that does not seem to work.  Any ideas where the comments can be deleted on the admin side?

Quote · 10 Dec 2008

Thank-you Stuart for sharing.  I was wondering why my guestbook was so hot all of a sudden then i finally figured out why!!  So needless to say I had the same problem and that fixed it!!!

Quote · 31 Jan 2009

On this same question....I do not see anyplace where a member can delete their comments on their own profile.  I have checked off all of the correct membership things that one can especially the one that says "delete own comments" but that does not seem to work.  Any ideas where the comments can be deleted on the admin side?

I was able to delete about 2000 posts of spam from going through my sql, doing a search for guest, finding the guestbook table and deleting the posts from there.  Right, Wrong I don't know but it worked for me to get rid of the spam.

Quote · 31 Jan 2009

Add this code:
// Added to stop spam.
if ( $record_sender=="")
return $ret;

This helped me too. Thanks.

Quote · 5 Feb 2009

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.