Need Help Installing Dolphin 6.1

Hello,

I uploaded the Dolphin 6.1 software to my host site, and when I go to install, I can't even figure out how to get through the Permissions step, I see the red 755 prefix numbers and I see they should be 777 numbers, but I don't know how to change them. I have the detailed installation instructions, but I'm not very programming savy, so  guess I need some Install Dolphin 6.1 for Dummies type help.

Thanks,

George

Quote · 6 Aug 2008

use your FTP program (the program u used to upload the files...) most of them have a feature to change permissions on any folder you select ....

Quote · 6 Aug 2008

I'm using FETCH free download ftp software, and I don't see any change permissions type command in the menu items.  I'm also using a mac computer with OSx and Firefox web browser.

George

Quote · 6 Aug 2008

If it works like Filezilla, right click on file, you will see File Attributes....then click. That is where you will chmod.

Quote · 6 Aug 2008

If you want to administer (configure,install,customize) your DOLPHIN your going to need a few Geeky Tools.

In GOOGLE search out --> FileZilla - #1 used FTP Agent --> PUTTY - on a shared this isn't so important, dedicated it's a nice Shell Agent --> Professional Notepad - Nice multi-language support Script Editor

To install open up FileZilla to your current account --> public_directory or folder were dolphin has been uploaded. Right mouse click on the folder or file in your FileZilla Screen and select "File Attributes" --> Type in the correct Permission NUMBER according to the install script. Then select "OK" --> repeat this process for the whole install --> Occasionally hitting check to ensure permissions are changed properly before proceeding with install.

However, I might highly recommend you seek professional installation from someone if your having problems/troubles at the "Change Permission" stage as it only gets more involved from here. BoonEx, HostForTheWeb, myself or many others in UNITY have a firm grasp of the processes and proper procedures to install DOLPHIN. Also reviewing INSTALL-DOC

Quote · 6 Aug 2008

Thanks for all the help, I just finished changing ALL the folder permissions to 777. I thought I was on to the next step and then a new list of files have come up saying they have inappropriate permissions:

Next files have inappropriate permissions:
periodic/cmd.php;
periodic/notifies.php;
periodic/cupid.php;
inc/prof.inc.php;
inc/params.inc.php;
inc/db_cached/MenuContent.inc;
inc/db_cached/PageView.inc;
inc/db_cached/SiteStat.inc;
inc/db_cached/ProfileFields.inc;
ray/modules/global/data/integration.dat;
ray/modules/board/xml/config.xml;
ray/modules/board/xml/langs.xml;
ray/modules/board/xml/main.xml;
ray/modules/board/xml/skins.xml;
ray/modules/chat/xml/config.xml;
ray/modules/chat/xml/langs.xml;
ray/modules/chat/xml/main.xml;
ray/modules/chat/xml/skins.xml;
ray/modules/desktop/xml/config.xml;
ray/modules/desktop/xml/langs.xml;
ray/modules/desktop/xml/main.xml;
ray/modules/desktop/xml/skins.xml;
ray/modules/global/app/ffmpeg.exe;
ray/modules/global/inc/cron.inc.php;
ray/modules/global/inc/header.inc.php;
ray/modules/global/xml/config.xml;
ray/modules/global/xml/main.xml;
ray/modules/im/xml/config.xml;
ray/modules/im/xml/langs.xml;
ray/modules/im/xml/main.xml;
ray/modules/im/xml/skins.xml;
ray/modules/movie/xml/config.xml;
ray/modules/movie/xml/langs.xml;
ray/modules/movie/xml/main.xml;
ray/modules/movie/xml/skins.xml;
ray/modules/mp3/xml/config.xml;
ray/modules/mp3/xml/langs.xml;
ray/modules/mp3/xml/main.xml;
ray/modules/mp3/xml/skins.xml;
ray/modules/music/xml/config.xml;
ray/modules/music/xml/langs.xml;
ray/modules/music/xml/main.xml;
ray/modules/music/xml/skins.xml;
ray/modules/presence/xml/config.xml;
ray/modules/presence/xml/langs.xml;
ray/modules/presence/xml/main.xml;
ray/modules/presence/xml/skins.xml;
ray/modules/shoutbox/xml/config.xml;
ray/modules/shoutbox/xml/langs.xml;
ray/modules/shoutbox/xml/main.xml;
ray/modules/shoutbox/xml/skins.xml;
ray/modules/video/xml/config.xml;
ray/modules/video/xml/langs.xml;
ray/modules/video/xml/main.xml;
ray/modules/video/xml/skins.xml;

I have to manually change all these also?

They seem to all have 644 permissions, what do they need to change to?

Quote · 6 Aug 2008

Alright! Finished step 1, on to Paths Check. Each one has "found" in green next to it. In the Database section, and it keeps rejecting my SQL Database Username. What am I doing wrong?

Quote · 7 Aug 2008

You created the mySQL database username.

Double check it.

Alright! Finished step 1, on to Paths Check. Each one has "found" in green next to it. In the Database section, and it keeps rejecting my SQL Database Username. What am I doing wrong?

Quote · 7 Aug 2008

Thanks, I forgot to create the database. I'll be back soon with more problems, stay tuned. Laughing

Quote · 7 Aug 2008

I'm back with more problems Yell How do I create a database? I clicked on the link "create database" and it opened the detailed instructions. What do I do now? Go to the cpanel?

Quote · 7 Aug 2008

It would be best if you follow the detailed installation instructions.

Quote · 7 Aug 2008

I am trying to follow the detailed instructions. I went to my cpanel and created a database with a username and password, but I still get the Access Denied error message when I fill in that information in the installation process. What am I doing wrong? By the way, I'm using a temporary domain until my real domain gets propagated, would that have anything to do with the error message?

Quote · 7 Aug 2008

depends on your control panel exactally, but if you are using the popular cpanel control panel many people messup by putting:

databasename

databaseuser

databasepassword

If cpanel it would be more like:

cpaneluser_databasename (cpaneluser=your actual cpanel login name)

cpaneluser_databaseuser (cpaneluser=your actual cpanel login name)

password (do not include cpanel login/id in the password)

Sometimes they also reverse the databasename and databaseuser...ie they mixup the lines.

If you are using something other than cpanel, contact your host for this info, or look at your database info in your control panel to determine the actuals.

Cpanel uses also uses localhost no ip's or addresses where other control panels may use mysql.yourhost.com as the database server or other.

gameutopia

http://www.dialme.com

DialMe.com - Your One and Only Source For Boonex Dolphin Tutorials and Resources
Quote · 7 Aug 2008

Eureka! Thanks Gameutopia. The thing that made it work was using my cpanelusername in the database name and user, but NOT in the password. Now, any helpful hints on setting up the Cron Jobs?  I have to go to work now, but I'll follow the detailed instructions on Cron jobs and I'll probably be back later with more questions. Thanks to everyone for all the help!

Quote · 7 Aug 2008

Glad you got that sorted out!! Cpanel is by far the most popular widely used control panel. Cron jobs are so simple to setup with cpanel, and super easy to find in your control panel, unlike many other control panels.

If you have problems or get lost many members will be able to help you out on this one as cpanel's crons are almost as simple as you can get.

gameutopia

http://www.dialme.com

DialMe.com - Your One and Only Source For Boonex Dolphin Tutorials and Resources
Quote · 7 Aug 2008

Now, any helpful hints on setting up the Cron Jobs?  I have to go to work now, but I'll follow the detailed instructions on Cron jobs and I'll probably be back later with more questions. Thanks to everyone for all the help!

There are step-by-step instructions for cpanel  .....  guess where?  In the step-by-step instructions of course!

Quote · 7 Aug 2008

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.