New to Dolphin

Hello All,

I have been playing around with Dolphin because of the vast abilities to implement a community style website.

I installed Dolphin but when I click "Forum" it just renders a bunch of code. I looked in the admin and under plugins it shows that ORCA is installed.

Now what if I want to install a different forum like vBulletin or phpBB will they share the login with Dolphin?

I also wanted to install Store that I can show the different products that my company offers. I don't need processing since it will all be just for instore pickup.

I also want to make the URLs SEO Friendly! They are friendly now but I would like to see it go the extra mile with directory browsing and customization of the url structures is this possible?

Also I want to disable Video and Music since I don't want to fill up my server with that stuff. How would I do that?

Any help would be tremendously appreciated.

Nick

Quote · 12 Jul 2008

I installed Dolphin but when I click "Forum" it just renders a bunch of code. I looked in the admin and under plugins it shows that ORCA is installed.

most likely you need to check your server for xml and xslt

Now what if I want to install a different forum like vBulletin or phpBB will they share the login with Dolphin?

mscott has a mod for that. hit him up.

I also wanted to install Store that I can show the different products that my company offers. I don't need processing since it will all be just for instore pickup.

so you really dont need a store, so much, just create some custom pages, and add your products on there, create a new page, create a new menu item, create a new submenu, add your products that way.

I also want to make the URLs SEO Friendly! They are friendly now but I would like to see it go the extra mile with directory browsing and customization of the url structures is this possible?

the SEF is all based on mod_rewrite so you can certainly do whatever you want to with those.

Also I want to disable Video and Music since I don't want to fill up my server with that stuff. How would I do that?

i would just disallow access to that part of the site, change the error message that is listed instead of nothing found, just change it to not available currently or something.

hope these answers help.

later,

DosDawg

When a GIG is not enough --> Terabyte Dolphin Technical Support - Server Management and Support
Quote · 12 Jul 2008

Thanks Dos! This is the first time I use Dolphin but it has a lot of promising features!

Quote · 13 Jul 2008

Thanks Dos! This is the first time I use Dolphin but it has a lot of promising features!

yes it does. please remember this is an exceptional script, and with that prior to making any changes or adjustments, backup your work that you have which is functional. i think the smarter thing to do is create a subdomain, use that as your testing ground, make sure the changes you are planning on making are goin to work. if you are not familiar with php, i will just tell you that just one small mistake, as simple as missing a (.) period, or using (') single quotes instead of (") double quotes can make you pull your hair out. so please pay attention. the other thing i like to suggest is commenting your work, if you are working in the source. this makes it somewhat easier to track when things go wrong, and you need to modify something you have done. so to summarize:

1. backup always

2. create subdomain testing ground

3. comment your changes

4. create a change log

5. backup

6. backup

ok you get the point. and you need to make sure you are getting not only the files backed up but also your dbase. an excellent tool for remote access to your mysql databases which allows you to schedule backups can be found

----> REMOTE MYSQL ADMINSTRATOR

need a utility to help you with all the chmods, please review ---> CHMOD Angel

this great little tool will do all the file chmods for you and you do not need shell access. just fill in a couple of parameters and all the work will be done for you.l

one more great tool that i am fond of is an editor that is open source as well NOTEPAD++

i plan on one day making a complete list of all the tools i have found that i believe are useful. since i deal mostly with open source languages and open source tools, i try to find all that are open source.

if you need help with anything, please dont hesitate to come in here and post, this community is great and the support of volunteers is extremely strong.

mrpowless

jtadeo

praveenky

caltrade

sammie

gameutopia

AndreyP

AntonLv

KillerHai

and there are more i am sure, but these are the ones that come off the top of my head. look forward to seeing your post your successes with this script as your site.

later,
DosDawg

When a GIG is not enough --> Terabyte Dolphin Technical Support - Server Management and Support
Quote · 13 Jul 2008

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.