OPINION POLL: Timeline/Outline merge

With the new homepage Timeline in 7.2, along with the Outline, it doesn't take long for the homepage to get rather long, requiring a lot of scrolling. I would prefer to keep both blocks.

Question is this: Rather than display the outline and timeline as separate blocks, what do you think about containing the two in a single block, with the usual top menu to select which to display?

Asynchronously loaded of course, with the users preference remembered by the browser.

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 29 Aug 2015

Not a good idea. Outline can work for most sites but timeline won't..right now in demo there are almost 100 users and i don't follow them or not interested in their posts...same will be case with the timeline in homepage. timeline is only meant for user's profile and account page. Outline is the remedy for big sites where you like/watch random posts. More over the content will be same both in timeline and outline. outline display more content and take less space but timeline show single irrelevant posts with taking bigger space.

Umar Haroon
Quote · 29 Aug 2015

To bad you were not mute on this one.

Geeks, making the world a better place
Quote · 30 Aug 2015

We are actually thinking about doing just that soon. Merging them into one "Timeline" block, with two view modes (cards/updates) and a bunch of settings for Admin to decide on default presentation for Timeline on any page it resides.

For example...

On Homepage: ( view: cards view / auto-from: all users / show: new blog posts, new members, new albums )

On Profile: ( view: updates view / auto-from: profile owner / show: owner blog posts, new friendships, owner new albums, direct Timeline posts, owner comments )

On Account: ( view: updates view / auto-from:  friends / show: all module posts, updated posts, comments, shares, etc. )

Makes sense?

Heart Head Hands
Quote · 30 Aug 2015

If you are planning to include both in one block, please also include option for admins to enable/disable the view of either of them. So it will be easier for admins to choose which way they want their home page to look like.

2nd thing what is the purpose of subscribing some 1? when you don't get their feed. Along with friends feed account page timeline should also show feed from people you have subscribed. Difference between being friend and being subscribed is that you share every thing with friends but with subscribed people you just get their feed and You already know about it :)

We are actually thinking about doing just that soon. Merging them into one "Timeline" block, with two view modes (cards/updates) and a bunch of settings for Admin to decide on default presentation for Timeline on any page it resides.

For example...

On Homepage: ( view: cards view / auto-from: all users / show: new blog posts, new members, new albums )

On Profile: ( view: updates view / auto-from: profile owner / show: owner blog posts, new friendships, owner new albums, direct Timeline posts, owner comments )

On Account: ( view: updates view / auto-from:  friends / show: all module posts, updated posts, comments, shares, etc. )

Makes sense?

Umar Haroon
Quote · 30 Aug 2015

Andrew, if you are seriously thinking about combining the Outline and Timeline into one block, then give a way to NOT have it in one block for those that don't want a combined block.  I won't even put the Timeline on the front page for my site so I hate to think that I will have to once again hack another Boonex module that does not offer me the choice I need for my site.  HL must want this because he posted the thread but that does not mean every other member wants the same thing.   I have no problem with it as long as I can switch off the timeline from the block.  Or maybe I want two blocks for this, one for the Outline and one for the Timeline; so let me have the choice to do that as well..

Quote · 30 Aug 2015

I like the timeline idea merged with the outline. I know eveyone hates Facebook, but I think the timeline should look like facebook where the video can be played without leaving the timeline and the media posts like photos and videos take up the entire space instead of just a box on the left.

Here is a screenshot.

timeline.jpg · 459K · 407 views
Quote · 30 Aug 2015

Here is one thing that is currently a problem with the Friends' Timeline in 7.1.6.  There is no way to set the length for the timeline content.  We can set how much to appear in the Outline but not the Timeline.  Thus, everything gets posted and I have seen where someone would leave a five paragraph comment and it all appeared.  I don't want videos appearing in the Timeline, or images, they often don't fit.  Also, control over what I see from my friends.  Currently someone is running a group and I get everything that is posted in that group from my friends when I have no interest and I am not a member of the group.  This means stuff gets pushed off way too fast; if could exclude certain contents, say from "Cute Kittens" groups in the timeline then it would be greatly improved.  Members often don't want to see every damn thing posted just because it came from a friend.  If I could just control the length of what is sent to the Timeline it would be a huge improvement.

Quote · 30 Aug 2015

Makes sense?

It does to me.  Just make sure you do all this in a way that makes all 150,000 members of boonex.com happy.

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 30 Aug 2015

...................... lol

http://towtalk.net ... Hosted by Zarconia.net!
Quote · 30 Aug 2015

So take the Timeline and Outline and make it inline.

Not all that keen in the idea.

Jeremy
Quote · 31 Aug 2015

Actually, to make it flexible, keep the current Outline/Timeline  (wall) module as is and create an additional one that is tailored the way HL wants it to be..  Both parties can be happy then, one would install the one that suits their site.

Debate over.

Quote · 31 Aug 2015

test test

Quote · 31 Aug 2015

tailored the way HL wants it to be.

I did mention that this was an opinion poll.

Quote · 31 Aug 2015

Well, the way I see it if we merge them functionality wouldn't change in any way for end users. They would still see either the same as current Timeline or same as current Outline. The only difference is that you wouldn't be able to have BOTH on the same page, which is hardly ever feasible anyway. 

Heart Head Hands
Quote · 31 Aug 2015

I think it is a very good idea!
And I can't wait till it's implemented.

Quote · 31 Aug 2015

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.