Password Forgot fails

Password forgot.php fails with the message:

You have been recognized as a REDACTED member, but it was impossible to send you an e-mail with your account details right now. Please, try again later.

I have done exhaustive tests and cannot locate the issue.  sendmail is on the system and working.  Tested php mail() function and it works.  Checked all the variables for the functions in both forgot.php and in untils.inc.php and they are populated.  Any ideas on what to check would be much appreciated.

Geeks, making the world a better place
Quote · 10 Jan 2019

Hello geek_girl!

First of all, the REDACTED word is little confused as Dolphin doesn't have it in the language file by default. But other part of the message means that it is from the key _MEMBER_RECOGNIZED_MAIL_NOT_SENT. The forgot.php file calls it when sendMail function fails. As you made tests I may suggest that something wrong with this email or with the mail server at that moment. To be sure it's better to make a separate php file where you will call sendMail and mail functions with the same parameters (especially email) and check the results.

Quote · 10 Jan 2019

Sorry about the confusion with REDACTED.  I am sure you know what the word means; to block out text etc.  The language key has a place to insert the site name and I did not want that to appear in the post so I inserted REDACTED to indicate the actual text had been redacted.

OK, if I follow you, sendmail will either return a 1 or 0 depending on if the email actually was sent or rejected by the remote mail server.  That is sent back to the sendMail function which returns it to forgot.php by return $iSendingResult;  Since we get 0; false, the message above is displayed. 

Quote · 10 Jan 2019

I feel rather foolish.  I was helping on a site I did not set up; and did not set up the server the site is running on either.  I conducted another test today at the server level and there was nothing on the server set wrong.  Therefore it must be Dolphin related.... Then the light went on above my head.  "I bet the SMTP module is loaded and active", I thought to my self.  Yes, it was and of course it was configured wrong.  The majority of the people don't understand the nature of the SMTP module and of course the module itself is poorly documented.  Turning off the SMTP module fixed the problem.  A day wasted; from now on I am checking first the SMTP module because if it is loaded 9 out of 10 times it won't be configured correctly.

Quote · 10 Jan 2019

And of course I made an ass out of u and me by assuming that whoever set the site up originally had tested that emails were being sent out.  Therefore, I thought it had to be a recent problem.  If the SMTP module was set up at the time the site was set up, emails had never been going out.

Quote · 10 Jan 2019

Glad to know that it was solved. And this is a usual deal when the obvious things can be the reasons of the trouble :-)

Quote · 11 Jan 2019

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.