Prevent Download of Ray Media Content

Here's one for the experts:

What server restrictions can be implemented to prevent unauthorized downloading of media files hosted with Dolphin.

All user videos, music, pictures, can all be accessed easily as long as you know the default file structure.

/ray/modules/movie/files/1.mpg

/ray/modules/movie/files/2.mpg

etc...

/media/images/profile

Can this direct downloading be prevented with an .htaccess setting?

I would like to have private areas for people to upload private content that can't be downloaded directly from a URL.

I've never used dolphin profile videos... can anyone comment if this is secure? I imagine it works the same as shared videos.

As always...if i find a solution first, i'll post it here.

Cheerz

Quote · 19 Nov 2008

I like the idea of a secure area...or perhaps a media restrictions tool members can apply when they upload their media, ie freinds only...certain freinds only or public.

if you know about free music zilla, you'l know you can grab flv or mp3 whilst just browsing sites which is a doddle and you dont even need the url to the media.

Quote · 15 Dec 2008

thats impossible I would think

to view the video you would need to download it in whatever format otherwise it wouldnt be viewable.

The only way to prevent the downloading of your content is to not make it available at all. The music industry has done or is doing away with DRM it seems as they too realise the futility of trying to prevent this.

Quote · 30 Dec 2008

it's possible

i'm working on a code

it protects the entire ray folder

exempel

http://mysite.com/ray/modules/movie/files/4.mpg theres no way you can access it this way

anyone that would like to help me test it

p.m

Quote · 30 Dec 2008

Apologies, I missed the whole point of the exercise here - next time I'll read the post properly

ofcourse its possible to protect the folders , I went off on a tangent when making video available through Ray for example - I'll go and sit in my corner now

Quote · 30 Dec 2008

not only folders

including the content of the folder

All user videos, music, pictures, can all be accessed easily as long as you know the default file structure.

/ray/modules/movie/files/1.mpg

/ray/modules/movie/files/2.mpg

etc...

/media/images/profile

Quote · 30 Dec 2008

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.