Purchase Advice

I'm new to the site, had a look at the software on the main site then started reading the horror stories about lack of support and licensing issues.  All things being equal the software seems really good if it works.  There seems to be some that are happy with what they've got and from posts elsewhere don't seem to be having problems whereas others seem to be in a living nightmare.  This makes it difficult to see whether I should consider purchasing the software or not.  Even if I get the free version to start with there sounds as if there are issues migrating from free to paid.  Would anyone recommend purchasing the software?  The other thing I needed to clarify is what are you paying for? Apart from Ad removal do you gain anything else from purchasing? On one hand this appears to be the only difference and the support then on the other hand I saw Ad free versions being given away to contributors.  It's very confusing.  Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Quote · 10 Sep 2008

Dolphin is excellent software and very capable. Go for it. But you need to make sure the server is up to the task. If you exercise patience, search for answers or post a question you should be ok.

Like I said, Dolphin is very capable software and that means it can be complicated, hence some of the problems.

All the best.

Stuart

There are none so blind as those that will not see.
Quote · 10 Sep 2008

Thanks for your prompt reply Stuart

I think I'll wait a while until I know a bit more.  The more I read the more scary it gets, but there must be people out there who are content with what they have and have a system working to an acceptable level.  The main concern is the lack of support from Boonex, seems like your on your own once you've purchased and not knowing PHP etc makes it more daunting, as your not able to sort things out yourself.  I read some posts about browser compatability and having to use different browsers for different bits of the site.  As great as the functionality might seem that's not really acceptable these days from a usability point of view you can't expect your visitors to keep switching browsers that's probably the quickest way to drive them away.

I'll continue looking around.  Its a real shame as the software does appear great, the support not so great and the community are trying to make things work even though the direction shouldn't be coming from them and some of the issues they are having to deal with you would think that these were every day issues for someone like Boonex to be resolving.  I think the jury is out on purchasing for now.

Mark

Quote · 10 Sep 2008

I would suggest Downloading the free version. and trying it out. Depending on what you need it for depends on how much of  headache it can be. I hav found most of myanswers here on the forums. I am by no means a Guru. Great with HTML, and simple shit, Still struggling with PHP. How ever. I have been struggling for 2 years now. Started learning on PHPBB. Same concept different wording. Really. its all the same int he long run, its just how it gets there. I hahve used dolphin on this site.  http://www.para-pages.com , It actually fits all of my needs and then some. My host is the only problem. will be fixing that soon.

Personally, I think alot of the  "problems" are novoice users, like my colleague on this site. Also with many, and with my colleague, they want more to come out of the site then what it is designed for. I mean, you cant have your Music Players edit Photos. So in the same sense, you can get exisiting software to alwasy do what you want. Unless you a programmer,devoloper, or just the sheer willingness to figure it out. I am in the last of the three.

Boonex Support Does kinda suck. I am nto gonna Lie. They take forever to get back to you. How ever, they have neevr been rude to me.  I cant complain other then the lack of time. But then i have a bunch of projects, so i am not in need of instant gratification.

Quote · 11 Sep 2008

Parapages

Thanks for your reply.  I suppose your right and it depends on how demanding your community is as to how quick you need to try to resolve problems and of course how serious the problems are.  Like you suggested I will probably try the free one first and then see from there. But even there I have seen many people done the same thing and not be able to install the paid one afterward for some reason.  I must admit I do like the software and as you said if it comes to it I would either have to pay someone to sort the problems out if the support is not quick enough or learn myself and give it a go (making sure everythings backed up first of course Smile).  Have you experienced the lack of cross browser compatability on your site?  It looks really cool by the way I like what you've done with it.  Is the chat your using on the homepage the one you get as part of the software or have you added that separately?

Thanks again

Quote · 11 Sep 2008

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.