Question for AlexT

What are the chances of moving the file: /modules/boonex/wall/js/outline.js

To --> /modules/boonex/wall/templates/base/outline.html  ?

It's only 2KB, and it works just fine adding the js to outline.html

My reason for asking this, is that the functions in outline.js determine the right position of outline units, according to a width set here:

$(document).ready(function() {
        $('#bx-wall-outline .wall-outline-items').masonry({
          itemSelector: '.wall-oi-item',
          columnWidth: 170,
          gutterWidth: 20
        });

If a person wanted to make those columns wider, for a mobile template, or any other template for that matter, it's just not possible the way it is now.   If however, this js is moved to the template, as opposed to being loaded from within BxWallModule.php, it is an easy matter to completely restyle the outline via templates.

If there's a different or better way to do this, I sure can't figure it out.  In any case, 170px wide outline units will never look good on a mobile device, nor will 420px wide units look good on a desktop browser.  We really need control over this with a template.

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 4 May 2014

I agree.  I had to set mine to 48% or something (whatever px that is I can't remember) and so I'm stuck with that no matter what the screen size.  Looks great on small devices but the photos etc. are small on a cpu in large containers.

Quote · 4 May 2014

Come on Alex.  I know you must have seen this by now.  All  want is for JS that dynamically calculates css, to be moved to template files that can be overridden.

It makes too much sense not to do this.

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 18 May 2014

Yes, it makes sense.

Thank you for the suggestion.

http://www.boonex.com/trac/dolphin/ticket/3407

Rules → http://www.boonex.com/terms
Quote · 19 May 2014

What happened to that ticket?  Its not even there any more!

Did you guys finally implement this after all of the 7.1.?s, 7.2s and now finally 7.3?

Yes, it makes sense.

Thank you for the suggestion.

http://www.boonex.com/trac/dolphin/ticket/3407

Ultra Newb reporting for duty.
Quote · 14 Mar 2016

just curious - since dolphin loads a bunch of javascript that is not necessarily used (on the homepage for example) - would this be a better solution for a bunch of the instances that call for javascript - to actually only be called upon when the page that needs them is loaded?

caredesign.net
Quote · 15 Mar 2016

just curious - since dolphin loads a bunch of javascript that is not necessarily used (on the homepage for example) - would this be a better solution for a bunch of the instances that call for javascript - to actually only be called upon when the page that needs them is loaded?

That already happens throughout Dolphin (addJs function)

What my original post was about in theory, was to move, and call any JS that affects layout, to template files instead of class files, so that javascript controlled layout can be overridden by custom templates.

Quote · 16 Mar 2016

i only mention it because i have noticed even with no modules installed - inspecting the element shows a bunch of javascript being loaded. Even with googles pagespeed or whatever - i always get a message about compressing js - and I see a whole bunch of javascript. Sorry for piggybacking on your post, but just thought your idea could be used for more than just your original thought.

caredesign.net
Quote · 16 Mar 2016

bump

Ultra Newb reporting for duty.
Quote · 20 Mar 2016

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.