RSS Feed Poster

Tried searching for this one couldn't find anything.  Do RSS feed posters work with orca forum?  Its basically software you upload to whatever file in your site and it automatically posts new topics from whatever rss feed you are working with.  But id like to know if its dolphin compatible before i go to messing something up lol

Quote · 16 Oct 2011

Well, an RSS feed viewer would take little work to be made dolphin compatable.  But if you have an RSS Posting utility that automatically runs, and checks external RSS feeds for new content, and then posts them, chances are if it wasn't written for Dolphin, it won't work off-the-shelf.  But It shouldn't be too hard to make work.

three ways this could work out:

• A PHP file executed by CRON job, that pulls the RSS feed, Looks at timestamps for anything done in the last X minutes (X = time intervals in CRON for this job), and then calls the dolphin function/class for adding a forum message.
  • A PHP file executed by CRON job, that pulls the RSS feed, Looks at timestamps for anything done in the last X minutes (X = time intervals in CRON for this job), and then directly adds the post to the database (be sure your doing more than just adding a row, but updating post-counts for threads, etc..).
  • An External Program/Script that runs at set intervals, checks the RSS for new posts, then using PHP Curl (or equivalent) logs into your website, and posts in the forms.  (PS. This option is possible, but insane)

As it stands, I can't say there isn't anything out there that does this, but I can say I've never seen or heard of it.

Quote · 17 Oct 2011

Ah, stuff i dont know how to do.  Haha thanks for the info

Quote · 17 Oct 2011

i do not know about this working for the forums specifcially, however, you can run RSS feeds subscriptions via google news feeds or yahoo news feeds or video feeds on youtube, and these feeds will update on your site in different locales, never tested with the forums.

Ah, stuff i dont know how to do.  Haha thanks for the info

the forums are quite hokey, and create more problems than they solve.

When a GIG is not enough --> Terabyte Dolphin Technical Support - Server Management and Support
Quote · 18 Oct 2011

You got that right!  I'm hoping to get the money together soon and hiring uh.....someone that replied to my job posting to integrate phpBB cuz orca just sucks

Thanks for that.  I have a certain niche that my site belongs to and have a few feeds coming through now.  I might just expand that a bit

Quote · 18 Oct 2011

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.