Recording Chat Sessions

Has anyone had the need to record atleast the audio of a chat session? Also, log the text chat?

We are looking at using the chat for social networking with classes, lectures etc and would like the option to record at the moderator level.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Cathy

Quote · 8 Aug 2009

You'll need the Ray Source files and D7 has those available. 

Quote · 8 Aug 2009

Well the US passed this law a few years ago.  All online chat rooms must be recorded to the database or by video/audio recording.  If you look in the database for raychat tables you will see they do not record any text of any kind.

I least thats the way it has been on every dolphin install i have done. Is this like this for everyone or just me.

So i think this should be an option to record audio/video/text with out haveing to hunt down the source and not because its now a law but because it just seems to make since to me.

https://dolphin-techs.com - Skype: Dolphin Techs
Quote · 9 Aug 2009

I was unaware of the requirement to record audio/video streams from chat.  I must look into that.

You can find some help with recording audio/video and text from the red5 server page.

I used the Ray (red5 server) a few years ago before it had been out long, and it may have come a long way since then, but it is still a beta product (latest release is Beta 0.8).  You will probably have to do some digging around to find out how to do what you want with it, but I'm sure it can be done.

I use Macromedia Flash Server and it allows for recording of the test, audio and video.  The Chat application I use comes with a "chat-to-database" function which we have installed and it keeps a running text history of all chat.

You may also wish to contact some of the expertz who work with the Ray apps and see if they can customize a plugin to do this, since it sounds like part of the code is already there.

Hope this helps!

Quote · 11 Sep 2009

I have been unable to locate any laws which require recording of the video and/or audio stream in a chat room.  On the contrary, there are numerous laws, both Federal and state which expressly prohibit the recording of video and/or audio without a user's prior knowledge and consent.  Some states have gone even further in prohibiting this type of recording and the fines, penalties and potential jail time would deter me from attempting anything like that.  While some of these laws generally refer to using a recording device of some sort to capture images or audio, there is in all likelyhood a gray area when the device is a computer.

Finally, I would have assumed that if this in fact was a Federal law, there would have suddenly appeared any number of companies advertising chat recording as a service to do just this.  I'd jump on THAT bandwagon myself.

If you have a link to any type of laws like this, please provide it, as I am very concerned about staying within the legal requirements for my site.

Quote · 5 Nov 2009

I ment text chat  not video

Quote · 17 Nov 2009

Where on earth did you come up with that Chat room law?  Gimmee a break.

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 17 Nov 2009

The U.S. Supreme Court administration approved rules that would require businesses to track e-mails, instant messages (IMs), and other electronic communications and store that data for use in litigation that affects the business.

Quote · 17 Nov 2009

I think you're reading something out of context.  You do understand that the legislative branch makes the laws... not the judicial branch?  Show me where congress has passed such a law.

Anyways... most decent public chat systems, will provide a daily, chat log for review, which is helpful in locating abusive users.  But.... this is getting away from theoriginal topic of this post.

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 17 Nov 2009

It was a bill past back in 2006  sometime in dec..  i agree moving away from topic...   

" most decent public chat systems, will provide a daily, chat log for review, which is helpful in locating abusive users. "

I guess ray chat is not one of them then.

Quote · 18 Nov 2009

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.