Suggestion for 7.1, to save vertical screen space.

It would be nice to be able to use template keys in language strings.  Here's one reason why:

When you create a blog post, it has a title.  When the blog post is viewed, the title appears directly above the blog post content.   All of this is contained in a design box with a header title "Post View ".

Why do I need the web page to tell me I am viewing the blog post?  I already know that without someone telling me.  If we were able to use template keys in language strings, we could use '__post_caption__' as the string for the key '_bx_blog_post_view', then eliminate the code highlighted in red below from modules/boonex/blogs/templates/base/blogpost_unit.html

<hr class="blog_unit_hr bx-def-hr bx-def-margin-sec-top bx-def-margin-sec-bottom" />
<div class="blog_unit">
    <div class="unit_info__post_mode__" style="__style__">
        __checkbox__
        <div class="unit_title bx-def-font-h2">
            __post_caption__
        </div>
        <div class="blog_text bx-def-font-large bx-def-margin-sec-top __friend_style__">           
            __post_picture2__
            __post_description__           
        </div>
        <bx_if:full>
        <div class="unit_date bx-def-margin-sec-top">
            <a href="__author_link__">__author_title__</a>
            <span class="bullet">&#183;</span>
            <span class="unit_date bx-def-font-small bx-def-font-grayed">
                <span>__post_date__</span>
            </span>
        </div>
        </bx_if:full>
        __preview_picture__
    </div>
</div>

Why do all this?  Because by moving the title to the design box header, saves almost 10% of the available vertical screen space.  The useless 'Post View' text is replaced by something more relevant. 

Maybe this isn't the right way to accomplish this task, but I hate wasted space.... especially on wide screens where vertical space is at a premium.  This is not just blog posts... it's photos, sounds, videos, and probably more.  It's worth repeating, that no one needs to be told that they're viewing a photo, sound, video,  etc.

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 25 Nov 2012

I would suggest different approach in this situation:

1) create designbox_900.html which is similar to designbox_1.html, but without title, with content only.

2) edit page block in sys_page_compose table for "post view" and change `DesignBox` field from 1 to 900

You can then change `DesignBox` field for other blocks where you want to get rid of box title.

Rules → http://www.boonex.com/terms
Quote · 26 Nov 2012

RE:

1) create designbox_900.html which is similar to designbox_1.html, but without title, with content only.

2) edit page block in sys_page_compose table for "post view" and change `DesignBox` field from 1 to 900

You can then change `DesignBox` field for other blocks where you want to get rid of box title.

I already thought of that, and decided that it would make an inconsistent appearance throughout the site.  Some design boxes need the box header and title. I don't think the mix would look very good.

There has got to be some way to move the title to the box header.   Maybe not with a template key in a language string, but surely there is some way to do this.

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 26 Nov 2012

RE:

I already thought of that, and decided that it would make an inconsistent appearance throughout the site.  Some design boxes need the box header and title. I don't think the mix would look very good.

There has got to be some way to move the title to the box header.   Maybe not with a template key in a language string, but surely there is some way to do this.

Other solutions require much more changes in the code which are hard to maintain. 

Design box look in UNI template looks very similar if it is with title or not, for some other templates it may look inconsistent. 

Rules → http://www.boonex.com/terms
Quote · 27 Nov 2012

RE:

RE:

Other solutions require much more changes in the code which are hard to maintain. 

Design box look in UNI template looks very similar if it is with title or not, for some other templates it may look inconsistent. 

I thought that might be the case.   I figured out how I'm going to do this though.

Quote · 27 Nov 2012

Please fix 7.1 for higher screen resolutions like 1920 x 1080.

Quote · 28 Nov 2012

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.