Upload photo for Member via Admin

I have looked everywhere in the Admin Control Panel and at the Builder section for Navigation.  I can not find a way for the Admin to upload a photo for a member.  We maintain photos for our members of other services.  I would like to be able to upload their photos for them after they sign up.

I imagine that once there is a photo in the system, the Admin panel makes possible to delete it? Is that correct?

If there is not a way to add this to the navigation links available to the Admin, can someone tell me where the member profile photos are placed and which mysql db file does the relational linking?

Arthur

Quote · 13 Jul 2008

i would consider this function to be most annoying to have to upload images for a user? where would you get those images from? would they not have to send you the image to start with, what would be the difficulty level for allowing a user to upload their own images?

as for managing, you can set your images for admin approval, and also the number of images that a member can upload. so from a site management standpoint, i would say this script is allowing member interaction as well as admin functionality, and there would be no need for the admin to have to upload the images for the users.

later,
DosDawg

When a GIG is not enough --> Terabyte Dolphin Technical Support - Server Management and Support
Quote · 13 Jul 2008

I think the question was "how do I?"....not "mother may I?".

As far as I know...the easiest way to do this is to ask the client for their log-on information and ask them to change the password when you're done.  You can look on your database under "media" and you'll see all the photos listed there.  And you can also look in your files under /yoursite/media/images and the profiles will be listed there.  The problem with going this route is that the program uses an "icon", an actual "photo" and a "thumbnail".  All different sizes.  You can't just upload a photo and call it a day. Go look at that file and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Unless someone else comes up with something more constructive in how you can actually do this that I don't know about (and I've been doing Dolphin since it was a guppy)...your best bet is to have them email you their log-in info and go in yourself to load the pictures for them.  Wish I could be of more help.

Quote · 13 Jul 2008

or if you wanted to be crafty from that stand point, you could copy the md5 hashed password, put your own as temporary, login to the account add the photos for them, change the password back. but man, why not just write a tutorial on how to upload photos or something simple. lol

later,

DosDawg

When a GIG is not enough --> Terabyte Dolphin Technical Support - Server Management and Support
Quote · 13 Jul 2008

ahhh...good point.  Swapping out the md5 password.  There's an idea.  All of these tutorial writing people around this joint...I'm sure someone will come up with the video on how to do it.

How come I am set back to only ONE post?  I think I need to speak to a supervisor or a moderator or a pundit or overlord or whatever it's called around here.  lol

Quote · 13 Jul 2008

Hey guys, thank you for the comments and tips on admin control of profile graphics.   I have been diagnosing the upload issue, and looking at the way it is done.

Just so that you don't think I am trying to do something stupid, we have about a million existing registrants in our BizWiz, Talent-Direct, Executive-Direct, Capitalist-Direct, and other services.  I have written a program that will load these registrants into the BizWiz Networking site (Dolphin) at BizWiz.com/networking.  Many of these people have provided us with photos or graphic logos that I want to load up to the system as I load in their profiles.

We have been taking registrations and profiles since 1995. My plan is to seed the service, and use it as a subservice of BizWiz.  That is, it will now become a benefit of membership in BizWiz.  Hence  Nancy Lord has

http://www.bizwiz.com/networking/nancylord

http://www.bizwiz.com/ezcommerce/nancylord.htm

http://www.clickit.com/Nancy

So the idea is to tie together Social Networking with Business and Professional Networking, and relationally pull things together.  BizWiz provides an eCommerce support system.

So, since we already have some graphics to work with, I am trying to get the seeding done with as much simplification as possible.

I appreciate the support and comments.

As for actually executing what I want to do, I can see that it is not simple without replicating the work done during the upload.  The program changes the name of the profile graphics to a numeric name, and loads it onto the server as three files.  I may need to write some code to replicate what Dolphin is doing.

Right now, I am working on the glitches in uploading content.  So far, there are two uploads from existing BizWiz Members loaded in. Once I have the bugs worked out, we'll load the others and get this announced.

So, I am not crazy and don't want to hold anyone's hand for self managed sites.  Changing passwords back and forth was a good idea, but way too manual for me. I need to automate this.

A second problem has come up. My BizWiz member never identified that they are Male or Female.   I need to figure out how to display a different graphic if the Sex field is neither Male nor Female.

a.

Quote · 13 Jul 2008

There is no need to use the user's logon. This can be done programmatically, and remain consistent with Dolphin.

It looks to me like the file name for the graphic in the mysql media table is being generated by the code for date using localtime().

med_file: ######.jpg

Then in the correct directory (ID), there are three .jpg file

icon_###### is 30x45

thumb_###### is 74x10

photo_###### is whatever size you uploaded as long as it is less than the max.

It is then a fairly simple thing to load a graphic up to the ID directory with scp or other cp from another directory on your server, or even wget it from another site if you have the url.  Then you can add the name to the mysql media table, and make three files of different sizes from the original.  We do this very same thing for our CityEntree.com service.

Once this is done, the participant-user can make whatever changes they want.

Hope this helps someone.

Arthur

Quote · 13 Jul 2008

ahhh...good point.  Swapping out the md5 password.  There's an idea.  All of these tutorial writing people around this joint...I'm sure someone will come up with the video on how to do it.

How come I am set back to only ONE post?  I think I need to speak to a supervisor or a moderator or a pundit or overlord or whatever it's called around here.  lol

because it looks like you havent posted since the overhaul. with this facelift we lost all out posts, lost all our points, lost everything but our shorts. so we have to start new. gotta love it.

later,
DosDawg

Quote · 13 Jul 2008

1._______________________________

PASSWORD issues are now the detail I would like to solve.

I can see that the password field in the Profile table needs to be generated while I am loading in the BizWiz member existing passwords.

I need to load the BizWiz member's existing password to that table in encrypted form so that I can have them logon to their Profile page based on my email to them. Otherwise, I need to manually logon for each of them, and enter the password in the Profile site that has been pre-created. Can someone give me a suggestion on how to encrypt a password so that it conforms to Dolphin requirements. Is it something like $newencryptedpasswd = encrypt($existingpasswd); Any help?

ADDED :

This will do the trick for me.

UPDATE Profiles SET password=md5('password') WHERE NickName='usersnickname';

2.______________________________

Also, I can not find the table that is used to hold the designation of the 'primary' photo to be use for the profile. Putting the graphic name into the media table and graphic itself into the directory, is not enough to designate it as the primary photo for the profile.

Quote · 13 Jul 2008

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.