Where is the "networking"?

Greetings,

Congratulations on a really comprehensive set of services.  Dolphin, Ray, Orca have great promise.

I am looking for some networking features that I would like to see available in Dolphin.  I am writing because, after a day of working with it, it doesn't seem to have what I want, but maybe I missed something.  It is certainly a rich system of features, so I am not knocking it.

To me, the NETWORKING is the RELATIONSHIPS, not just the postings and profiling.

What I am looking for are two functions.

First, INVITE ALL YOUR FRIENDS.  I want a member to be able to load up 50 or 100, or whatever number of friends he or she has in one file. One email address on each line, and that would be an easy file to parse through.  One shot and the email gets sent to their customers or friends or whoever.  I suppose I can figure out a way to do this, but it seems like this is an obvious thing and I am surprised I couldn't find it.

When the friend or colleague returns to register, I want the records to be tied relationally, in some way, to the original person doing the inviting...with an acknowledgement.

Then, I want some simple way to connect people in the sense of 'six degrees of separation'.

I may have missed this doing my review of Dolphin today.  All I found was a to invite someone, with one email at a time....and there is no way for the member doing the inviting to add their own comment that email.  If you are going to have people invite other people one at a time, the person doing the inviting should be able to say something like "hey Joe, this is just the kind of thing we've been looking for."

I will continue to poke around, and look at the modules offered by developers. If you have suggestions, please send the along.

Just to keep things in one place, I also posted a note earlier about the fact that an existing member does not seem to have a way to update a profile to comply with new fields that have been added through the BUILDER. When new fields are added, the fields should be added to the edit page automatically.

In case anyone wants to follow our progress on this before our launch, please use www.clickit.com/social/   Of course, we would love to have anyone join, blog, yada, yada.

Arthur Rosenfield

CLICKIT.com

Quote · 6 Jul 2008

Hello Arthur,

You will find there are many mods that will add the features you require, here are just a few of many, to help get you started.

http://www.expertzzz.com/Downloadz/home/author/dolphinmods/

http://www.expertzzz.com/Downloadz/home/author/dadniel/

http://www.expertzzz.com/Downloadz/home/author/AntonLV/

http://www.expertzzz.com/Downloadz/home/author/Aramis/

Dan.

From the land DownUnder
Quote · 6 Jul 2008

i think the post has been given prior to me reading this. there are a few mods that are available that do just what you are asking, but they are third party mods and not part of the system. i dont know that they hook the users with any type of parameter that show that bob, mary and bill are all invitees of jack.

as for the profiles being updated with fields that were added on a later date after that person is registered, that should be available from the users profile logged in as the user, and when they go to edit their profile any new fields added should take affect at that time. this is a powerful social networking script, and it does take some getting used to, but this has to be by far the most powerful script that is available that doesnt cost tens of thousands of dollars.

later,
DosDawg

When a GIG is not enough --> Terabyte Dolphin Technical Support - Server Management and Support
Quote · 6 Jul 2008

Thank you to Dan and DosDawg.

Regarding the updating of profile information, I have discovered that there is a function within the BUILDER to deal with the EDIT Page and VIEW Page.  It permits the administrator to modify the settings for each of "Member", "Visitor", "Moderator", "Admin" for each of the profile fields.  This is excellent, although is does take some time.

I am, however, having a problem with this.  The profile fields that I have added are not not displaying correctly. It seems that each time you move a field into the "Active Items" area, you need to click on the field and name the CAPITON, etc.  Once again, it is very time consuming because it needs to be done for each type of user.  The result is probably worth the trouble.

I will have a look at the links to the features that features that Dan sent.

Here is another question.

Somewhere, I activated a "Slide Show" function.   I didn't realize it was going to effect the single photo that appears in the main profile.  I have hunted for the switch to turn off the slide show.  Can you tell me where it is?

Arthur

Quote · 6 Jul 2008

UPDATE:

I have looked at the links on Expertzzz.com that Dan sent.  It looks like the closest I can come to "six degrees of separation" are these listed by Aramis.

http://www.expertzzz.com/Downloadz/home/author/Aramis/
Find New Friends for 6.1
Find New Friends mod for D6

I think that the above is a manual process.   What I am looking for is a searchable system that will tell me what friend there is of FRED that I know in common (or connected by 2nd and 3rd levels of friends of friends), or something like that.

Regarding the blinking of the member's profile picture.  I believe there needs to be an improvement in the 'gallery' function.  That is, if there is only one single photo (photocount == 1) then the gallery function should not be activated.

I have now had to turn off the gallery function, because with one photo, the photo 'blinks'.

Arthur Rosenfield

Quote · 7 Jul 2008

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.