Wiccle?

I've just installed a copy of the now defunct Wiccle on my home server to get some ideas for my Dolphin site. Although it was a free script, it needs a free key to extend its use beyond 30 days and I'm wondering if somebody out there has a copy of that key? The Wiccle support site is long gone.

For those of you who don't know about Wiccle, it was designed by an Irish IT company that eventually fell apart as a result of internal disputes and the amazing program was dumped.

I say amazing, because Wiccle was only 5 megabytes compared to Dolphin's 68 meg, yet it contained almost a dozen very useful modules such as Photos, Groups, Articles, Blogs, Events, News and Video. 

I have a copy of the free version (there was also a paid version) which I'm willing to share. You can still find all the documentation on the Internet Archive and a heap of videos on Youtube. Please understand that it's an old script and my copy isn't suitable for a working site. It only runs on older versions of MySQL and I'm running it on my WAMP server at home with PHP 5.6.

It's a lot of fun because it does things differently than Dolphin and one can only wonder where Dolphin would be today if Wiccle had survived.

Quote · 11 May 2020

If you do an internet search for the product try entering iwiccle or wiccle. iWiccle was either the feww version or the commecial one. I'm not sure, but the two search entries can come up with different results.

Quote · 11 May 2020

I have managed to get a copy of iWiccle from sourceforge but not Wiccle.  From my research, iWiccle was the personal version and Wiccle was the commercial version.  It appears there was some differences but supposedly overtime the differences would be merged into iWiccle.  If you still have my email address send me Wiccle and I will take a look.  I am sure the license requirement can be bypassed.  I did see a report about XSS vulnerability but that could have been addressed; not really a problem on a site that is not accessible by the outside world.

Geeks, making the world a better place
Quote · 11 May 2020

OK, reading your post again, I think you say you have iWiccle but not Wiccle.

Quote · 11 May 2020

@Geek_Girl, I apologise for that. When I wrote the post I'd completely forgotten about the name iWiccle. I reminded myself after it was too late to edit, thus my second post. 

I have the free version which is called iWiccle. The naming of the product at the time was actually very confusing because unlike Dolphin, the free version and commercial version were actually different. It seems the commercial version was Wiccle Web Builder which evidently became Wiccle and the free version was Wiccle Community Builder which evidently became iWiccle.  

I've never seen the commercial version and I'm not sure if it was released widely before the company collapsed. It contained the following modules and possibly more:

Auctions, Audio, Articles, Blogs, Downloads, Forums, Gallery, News, Site, Store, Video, Answers, Chat, Classified, Dating, Events, FAQ, Guestbook, Help, Links, Groups, Members, Notebox, Portfolio, Support.

The free version was shipped with these modules:

Articles, Blogs, Events, Gallery, Groups, Links, Members, News, Videos

This is the first time I've looked at the script for years because the original 30 day trial expired and I was locked out. Is the version you obtained from Source Forge "open" or does it lock you out after 30 days as well?

Quote · 12 May 2020

According to the post on Sourceforge, it does require a free license.  I will see about getting it installed and then looking at the licensing.

Quote · 12 May 2020

Fork it and rename it Panther.

TravelNotes.org - The Online Guide to Travel
Quote · 13 May 2020

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.