World Map Issues

My World Map vanished today. I checked with the element inspector and found a heap of errors. One said that the version (3.25) I was using had been retired. They said the new version was 3.26 so I changed it as per AlexT's previous post:

------------

Update map.html – Note: This code was provided by Alex:

Change the following line in:  modules/boonex/world_map/templates/base/map.html

File Near ~75 Line: Google.Load("Maps", "3", {Other_params: "Language=__lang__&Key=__key__"});

To

Google.Load("Maps", "3.25", {Other_params: "Language=__lang__&Key=__key__"});

-----------

I Changed 3.25 To 3.26, then manually cleared the HTML cache.  The map returned in places:

• In the map module I can see it and all the location markers. 
  • In my Profile, I can see the a map of my town, but no marker. When I click Change Location, there is no map. Just  a blank box. The map tries to load then it goes blank.
  • On the home page I can see the map, but no markers.

Using the browser Inspector there was another highlighted error stating that the map may be blocked by the browser because of a poor network connection.

I visited the Dolphin demo site and found the same problems there.

The Inspector dump taken from the demo site is attached. This is NOT from my site.

My Internet connection seems to be above average. I use a mobile connection which varies greatly because of traffic and climatic conditions, but there's nothing to right home about today.

I also have an API key. It's only a week old.

Question: Is the demo site working okay or has the map gone haywire in places also?

It's hard to know where to look for the problem.

map.jpg · 103.4K · 206 views
Quote · 15 Feb 2017

Update: I went to the admin demo site this morning and the map with markers was there. I looked around and when I came back to the home page the map was blank. The site has been refreshed several times and may have been refreshed during that visit.

I looked a minute ago and the map box is still blank. (See attachment). Is this happening to anyone else?

map3.jpg · 16.8K · 199 views
Quote · 15 Feb 2017

Seeing the same problem on my site.  I made the 3.25 to 3.26 and has not seemed to make any difference.

Quote · 16 Feb 2017

I'm a bit surprised that the Boonex team haven't picked up on this and other threads popping up all over the place.

It seems the problems is to do with "document-write". From what I can glean from the thousands of Google listings on the subject, the browsers are blocking (intervening) with slow internet connections "for the good of mankind". Have they overlooked that I, and millions of others live in a third world country when it comes to the Internet?

I seems to have happened in the past few days and it may not affect people on high speed connections, thus the lack of response.

I just removed world map and did a complete reinstall after getting rid of everything. Things are the same:

• Home Page: Map without controls or markers.
  • Profile: Nothing, and the Edit Location page is a blank box. Not even white.
  • Module: Maps appear okay with controls but no markers - because I did a full reinstall.

Dolphin Demo site:

• Home Page: (Sometimes) Map with controls AND markers - Currently a blank box.
  • Profile:  Zoomed map in satellite view. Can't see a marker.
  • Edit Location:  Blank. Just the box. 
  • Module: Maps, Controls and Markers all okay.

Sadly it looks like this module will now only work on high speed connections, but it's also possible Boonex can rewrite the "Document Write" rule.

https://developers.google.com/web/updates/2016/08/removing-document-write

Pity. It's a great module.

Quote · 16 Feb 2017

In Google API Developper, activate in 2nd menu at left  the line : Google Javascript API

It's all. I looked for a long time also !

Quote · 16 Feb 2017

I'm sorry, but it makes no sense. Can you supply a URL?

Thanks

Quote · 16 Feb 2017

Same problem here. Map vanished today.

I have an API key + I changed the map.html file into 3.26 version

No result.

Please provide us with a final solution. It can't go on like this any longer. Some days the map is there, other days it's not.

Quote · 17 Feb 2017

I have a fast internet connection and my map also vanished. I guess the connection is not the problem. Besides that, the map shows in the admin panel. But not on the frontside.

I'm a bit surprised that the Boonex team haven't picked up on this and other threads popping up all over the place.

It seems the problems is to do with "document-write". From what I can glean from the thousands of Google listings on the subject, the browsers are blocking (intervening) with slow internet connections "for the good of mankind". Have they overlooked that I, and millions of others live in a third world country when it comes to the Internet?

I seems to have happened in the past few days and it may not affect people on high speed connections, thus the lack of response.

I just removed world map and did a complete reinstall after getting rid of everything. Things are the same:

• Home Page: Map without controls or markers.
  • Profile: Nothing, and the Edit Location page is a blank box. Not even white.
  • Module: Maps appear okay with controls but no markers - because I did a full reinstall.

Dolphin Demo site:

• Home Page: (Sometimes) Map with controls AND markers - Currently a blank box.
  • Profile:  Zoomed map in satellite view. Can't see a marker.
  • Edit Location:  Blank. Just the box. 
  • Module: Maps, Controls and Markers all okay.

Sadly it looks like this module will now only work on high speed connections, but it's also possible Boonex can rewrite the "Document Write" rule.

https://developers.google.com/web/updates/2016/08/removing-document-write

Pity. It's a great module.

Quote · 17 Feb 2017

Same here. Map is gone. I just set everything up. I had just set this up and in usual fashion google offers tremendous benefits but often times its a nightmare navigating to set them up (and even harder to get back to them to check on things).

Couple things. I first set up my Google Maps Geocoding API and it didn't seem to work. In world map module backend I got javascript error notifications where the maps would/should display.

So I figured why not set it up as Google Maps Java API (since they were javascript errors). And everything seemed to work. The map even showed up on the home page where blocked. Yay. However just went back and any map views on site are blank white only showing the four check mark tabs for each location type

Oddly enough the "requests" seem to be going thru from dolphin site to the google map API. And the Google API console isn't reflecting any errors in those requests.

Any input or guidance from those more wise in the world of dolphin API integration or similar is greatly appreciated.

Also, 

Quote · 17 Feb 2017

Secondary and maybe related issue. The ability to only show one element on the maps isn't working. I uncheck everything except profiles and click save -- page refreshes without errors but everything remains checked.

Anyone have similar issues?

Quote · 17 Feb 2017

It seems to me that different folk are experiencing different problems, which indicates the module may have become unstable. It also seems that some people aren't experiencing any problems at all, but I'll guess they're the ones on very high speed Internet connections.

Google has stopped using "document-write", the function(?) which Boonex uses to read the map. It's all too complicated for me, but the map module is also calling for a version of the Google Maps Api which has been "retired" and that also needs addressing.

I looked on GitHub and it seems the module is up for a revamp in version 7.3.4 which doesn't help the people experiencing trouble today. It's not just you and I, it's the thousands of end users as well.

AlexT, one supporter who explains "how to fix", rather than just say "fix" has gone quiet. Maybe he's taken time out, or he's busy trying to sort it out. Let's hope it's the latter.

Quote · 18 Feb 2017

My world map has also disappeared, on the main World Map page, as well as on the home page etc. Running developers tools in Chrome brought up the error: Google Maps API warning: RetiredVersion https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/error-messages#retired-version

Which took me to Google's error page info: 

RetiredVersion Warning

You may have supplied a retired version in your script element. The versions 3.0 - 3.25 have been retired, and you might be receiving 3.26 instead. Please update your application to use one of the available versions.

See Versioning | Google Maps JavaScript API.

Not that I know what to do about that... but I'd like to! Thanks!

You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit.. although it does work the other way around!
Quote · 18 Feb 2017

You can easily change the version by following AlexT's instructions in my first post above. Change the version on or about line 75 to read 3.26 instead of 3 or 3.25.

Save the file and upload it to your serv.er.

This didn't change anything for me and it would be great if you can post your success or failure here. it seems each person is getting different results.

Quote · 19 Feb 2017

This issue always existed. I also would like to have that fixed, but no one seems to bother about that problem.

Every time I install a module, another item is appearing on that map. I don't want that.

Secondary and maybe related issue. The ability to only show one element on the maps isn't working. I uncheck everything except profiles and click save -- page refreshes without errors but everything remains checked.

Anyone have similar issues?

Quote · 19 Feb 2017

I changed the map.html to version 3.26 on line 75, removed the API key and now it works.

Quote · 19 Feb 2017

AlexT has finally responded with this fix. it works like a charm:

It looks like the problem isn't in Google Maps, please try the following fix:

https://github.com/boonex/dolphin.pro/commit/4037f819e6c601684dc64155161c095e14983f98

Then clear JS cache.

Quote · 19 Feb 2017

I checked out the templates/base/extra_top_menu.html and it is at line 327.

Don't understand why the screenshot on Github shows line 164 to be edited.

Quote · 19 Feb 2017

AlexT has finally responded with this fix. it works like a charm:

It looks like the problem isn't in Google Maps, please try the following fix:

https://github.com/boonex/dolphin.pro/commit/4037f819e6c601684dc64155161c095e14983f98

Then clear JS cache.

Worked for me as well.  Thanks for posting the link.

Quote · 19 Feb 2017

@annabel it's on line 164 plus or minus as AlexT said. Are you sure you're looking at the correct file, or maybe you have your editor set to line wrap?

Quote · 19 Feb 2017

Yay, it worked for me as well! Maps are all working great again! Thank you!

You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit.. although it does work the other way around!
Quote · 21 Feb 2017

I'm very sure that I am editing the templates/base/extra_top_menu.html and that I see that piece of code on line 164

I'm using Dreamweaver and it's not set to line wrap.

@annabel it's on line 164 plus or minus as AlexT said. Are you sure you're looking at the correct file, or maybe you have your editor set to line wrap?

Quote · 22 Feb 2017

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.