Birth Date Issue - Date of Birth

Date Of Birth Issue:

US users are used to entering mm/dd/yy (I know the rest of the world is the right way) and my setup is for US users.  I have made all the appropriate changes within Advanced settings with short and long date formats and the PHP format.

Despite these changes, if a user enters January 9th as 1/9/90 it is entered into the database as September 9th.  Worse, if a user enters January 28th as 1/28/90 it is entered as 28/1/90.  This does not error and allows them to register putting a 00-00-0000 into the database (and thus they do not show in the members list).  Is this a server side or database setting issue (via htaccess or php.ini) or is there a simple setting I am missing here.  Thanks in advance for your assistance!!

Sample:

Birth Date Issue

Quote · 11 Jul 2008

Any ideas?

Quote · 14 Jul 2008

?

Quote · 16 Jul 2008

Don't know which Dolphin version you are using ???

As for me I'm using 6.1.1... When the user click in the date of birth field, a calendar is poping up. So the date format is not a problem as the user just choose year, month and date while clicking on the calendar... (both in join form and profile edit).

Life is a fatal disease, sexually transmissible - Virginity is carcinogenic! Ask here for vaccine.
Quote · 16 Jul 2008

I am using the current version and the pop-up is weird to use so I would rather use a standard.  Does anyone know how to fix this?

Quote · 21 Jul 2008

I would most definatly like to know the answer to this also!!!

Quote · 18 Aug 2008

PitFighter,

(If the date format problem is still unresolved)

Changing the settings alone should have been enough to fix the date format problem. I would suggest that you go back to your settings and make sure that both, the short and long, date formats are set as you want them to appear.

Arik,

The way forms function is simply by taking data entered into input areas and then processing them, whether it is by way of adding to database, producing search results or both. The data is called from the form by calling the input area by its 'Name', in this case, it would be a 'Text Input' named 'date_of_birth'. This input area is annexed to a Javascript that calls the Calendar when the input area is clicked. For this to change, we would first have the problem of breaking up the input area from 1 to 3 areas where each of these areas would have a unique name, example: day_date, month_date, year_date, and lets say, for this purpose you would perhaps use a drop down or 'select' input containing 31 days, 12 months and so many years. This is not rocket science, but, the difficulty comes in when we need to have our script process the form entries.. Remember, these fields must be called by name in that script for it to be able to call the data entered into them. This is the traditional way of doing things. However, I am working on this and might have a winner, even though I still havent had the time to test it. This is how it goes:

1. Take out the date of birth input area.

2. Recreate the date of birth input area, but this time, it will be input type: hidden.. it will have the same name.

3. Create the 3 new date of birth input areas (lets say select input)

4. Add Javascript to tell the form to amalgamate and duplicate the 3 date entries into the date_of_birth hidden field.

This offcourse would render the 3 new date of birth entries usless for processing, but they are just a way to have the entry made.

I am not sure when I can have enough time to focus on this, but this is just an idea.. if you think you can give it a go, this is how I would by-pass that problem.

(Note: I am an expert at this, so others might have better views.. always keep an open mind).

Thanks

Quote · 18 Aug 2008

I asked the same thing last week. From my understanding it'll take quite a bit to change it. Hopefully someone comes up with a solution.

Keith

Quote · 18 Aug 2008

Did you set the format at Admin > settings > Languages Settings > Search for strings > look for: day

and set the {0} January, {1} to which ever format you want for all 12 months  .....

{0} January, {1}
01 Janurary, 2008

January {0}, {1}
January 01, 2008

{1}, Janurary {0}
2008, Janurary 01

etc, etc  ..... 

Quote · 18 Aug 2008

RumpyBumpy,

That fixes the date everywhere except in the profile.

Quote · 18 Aug 2008

date of birth.. arggh.. Ok, I have read through dozens of posts on this issue and still confused as heck. What I want is the date of birth on the join page instead of populating day/month/year to use format as here in the US which is month/day/year. I have changed my admin settings (short date, long date and php date formet) to reflect this.

I have changed the language files, day of 1, day of 2, etc. to reflect this I believe as in to say: January {0}, {1}.

Still when a user inputs their date using the ajax calendar it still does it european style.

What gives?

Quote · 16 Mar 2009

date of birth.. arggh.. Ok, I have read through dozens of posts on this issue and still confused as heck. What I want is the date of birth on the join page instead of populating day/month/year to use format as here in the US which is month/day/year. I have changed my admin settings (short date, long date and php date formet) to reflect this.

I have changed the language files, day of 1, day of 2, etc. to reflect this I believe as in to say: January {0}, {1}.

Still when a user inputs their date using the ajax calendar it still does it european style.

What gives?

I guess there is no answer to this mystery?

Quote · 31 Mar 2009

What gives?

I guess there is no answer to this mystery?

Open file templates/base/scripts/BxBaseConfig.php at the bottom of the file find this

$this -> customize['join']['datepickerInit'] = "

$( '.input_date' ).datepicker({

dateFormat: 'd/m/yy',

yearRange: '{min_year}:{max_year}',

mandatory: true,

closeText: 'X',

defaultDate: -{dfl_days}

edit  dateFormat to

dateFormat: 'm/d/yy',

Will change join.php and pedit.php page to US date format - month/day/year

Not tested other places on the site were datepicker is used...

Quote · 31 Mar 2009

I wish Id never read this post.

Thought it might have the answer to why my calender renamed february to march - so I have two Marches.
But no... I had to go and take a look at all my dates, didnt I - only to discover that February has mysteriously re-appeared - presumably because its just turned april.

And
That all my profile birthdates are showing up as 2009:12:31 format - what a pisser - no-one uses that sort of notation.

So any light you could shed on maybe where to begin to rectify it to the euro 31/12/2009 format that the rest of my site uses would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Quote · 1 Apr 2009

I wish Id never read this post.

Thought it might have the answer to why my calender renamed february to march - so I have two Marches.
But no... I had to go and take a look at all my dates, didnt I - only to discover that February has mysteriously re-appeared - presumably because its just turned april.

And
That all my profile birthdates are showing up as 2009:12:31 format - what a pisser - no-one uses that sort of notation.

So any light you could shed on maybe where to begin to rectify it to the euro 31/12/2009 format that the rest of my site uses would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Calendar issues, you have changed some here:

Admin -> Settings -> Languages Settings

Search after string: day
(Default values below)

Key                       String

_day_of_1       {0} January, {1}

_day_of_10     {0} October, {1}

_day_of_11     {0} November, {1}

_day_of_12     {0} December, {1}

_day_of_2       {0} February, {1}

_day_of_3       {0} March, {1}

_day_of_4       {0} April, {1}

_day_of_5       {0} May, {1}

_day_of_6       {0} June, {1}

_day_of_7       {0} July, {1}

_day_of_8       {0} August, {1}

_day_of_9       {0} September, {1}

==================================

Date Format issues, you have changed some here:

Admin -> Settings -> Advanced Settings
(Default values below)

Short Date Format %d-%m-%y

Long Date Format %d-%m-%y %H:%i

PHP date format  F j, Y

Quote · 1 Apr 2009

Calendar issues, you have changed some here:

(Default values below)

Key String

_day_of_1 {0} January, {1}

_day_of_10 {0} October, {1}

_day_of_11 {0} November, {1}

_day_of_12 {0} December, {1}

_day_of_2 {0} February, {1}

_day_of_3 {0} March, {1}

_day_of_4 {0} April, {1}

_day_of_5 {0} May, {1}

_day_of_6 {0} June, {1}

_day_of_7 {0} July, {1}

_day_of_8 {0} August, {1}

_day_of_9 {0} September, {1}

==================================

Date Format issues, you have changed some here:

(Default values below)

PHP date format F j, Y

OKweb - I have only changed, Fj,Y - to jF,Y - so that it corresponds to the day month year format of the above sdf & ldf. Ill try changing them back...
seems to make no difference at all - should the php date format reflect the long and short date formats?

Quote · 1 Apr 2009

did this in BxBaseConfig.php

dateFormat: 'm/d/yy',

Fixed this

Fixed this
(Default values below)

PHP date format F j, Y

Still shows 0000-00-00 for date of birth, some members get no last login dates, some get birth date but not all, and everyone gets Dec 31 1969 as DateReg

Have made changes in phpAdmin but not change when viewing profiles, do each member need to cancel account and start over?
Anything else am I missing?

Quote · 15 Jun 2009

Can anyone confirm how to change the birth date field with some of answers posted here  when a member signs up on the join page and will it show it that way throughout Dolphin?

Thanks!

Quote · 11 Jul 2009

Can anyone confirm how to change the birth date field with some of answers posted here  when a member signs up on the join page and will it show it that way throughout Dolphin?

Thanks!

Hey phillychris, how about if you confirm it.  We don't mind helping but we're not here to give you every answer, test it, run on a production site and then report back to you.

Quote · 12 Jul 2009

I wish someone would just create a MOD for this!!! EVERY OTHER site has a drop down menu and FREAKING BOONEX has the popup calendar.  How creative lol!!  Sorry just RANTING for EVERYONE!! =)

What's next to fix D8 issues? D9? (=
Quote · 11 Apr 2012

How can i set the range of date of birth, mine reads from 1987 - 1995!

Quote · 3 Jul 2012

How can i set the range of date of birth, mine reads from 1987 - 1995!

Are you using 6.1?

ManOfTeal.COM a Proud UNA site, six years running strong!
Quote · 3 Jul 2012

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.