customizations dos and don'ts

Hi,

Now that we are on v7 we're careful to not make any code changes that will be affected by an upgrade.  So far I've done everything within the template functionality using our own template starting from a copy of UNI.  I see many posts and even mod install instructions that tell you to make changes to the base template or even files in the inc/ folder.  Can anyone clarify whether these are advisable and whether they would survive an upgrade?

Thanks!

http://www.everyq2.com

Quote · 19 Feb 2011

Mods should not modify the core files.

It should happen ONLY when you want to do a modification on a Dolphin default function, but this is not what the traders should do.

The traders should only create new functions, and not modify the default ones.

It means you will lose any mod by upgrading, if the mod works on the Dolphin default files.

Traders should respect the boonex rules when creating a mod, but very few of us respect them.

Do you know why?

I know, because it's more difficult then just changing the code of a file.

Anyone who knows a little of PHP can modify a default file, but only advanced programmers can create mods in the right way

=D

Web Development, Multimedia Design and Social Media.
Quote · 19 Feb 2011

Mods should not modify the core files.

It should happen ONLY when you want to do a modification on a Dolphin default function, but this is not what the traders should do.

The traders should only create new functions, and not modify the default ones.

It means you will lose any mod by upgrading, if the mod works on the Dolphin default files.

Traders should respect the boonex rules when creating a mod, but very few of us respect them.

Do you know why?

I know, because it's more difficult then just changing the code of a file.

Anyone who knows a little of PHP can modify a default file, but only advanced programmers can create mods in the right way

=D

Well said  Yobilab...

Quote · 19 Feb 2011

Then I suggest BoonEx have a certification program for their mods.  Like the Apple App Store(in theory) only mods that meet the standard get the stamp of BoonEx approval.  Others you install at your own risk.

Thanks for the response btw.  Some of the mods have simply edited script files under base template when you can copy and modify that function in your own version of the script file.  So far I have been able to modify the instructions given by some mods to keep within the rules.

Quote · 24 Feb 2011

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.