eagle140.startdedicated.com

Does anyone have control of this former rootbaron server?  If so, PM me.

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 17 Feb 2014

Interesting... I've never had a domain hijacked before.  It's the screwover that keeps on screwing.

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 18 Feb 2014

hijacked ?

I've never had a domain hijacked before.

DedicatedServer4You.com -- BIGGEST Range of Dedicated Servers at the Lowest Price!
Quote · 18 Feb 2014

someone has transferred your domain without your knowledge ?

DedicatedServer4You.com -- BIGGEST Range of Dedicated Servers at the Lowest Price!
Quote · 18 Feb 2014

Back in the days of Dosdawg and Rootbaron I had a site on this server.  One day it disappeared into a black hole.  I didn't care.  I never bothered to set the name servers to something different than those used with rootbaron.  As it turned out, I started to host with the same data center as rootbaron was reselling, and the name servers were the same.... but left the domain in question unattended because I had better things to do.

Fast forward to now, I set the domain back up on my server to use as a test site.  During the setup, it threw a warning at me that a dns entry already existed.  I thought that a bit strange, however when I browsed to the site, it loaded up pages from the old server.

Someone never bothered to remove my sites entry from the name servers, and since my name servers haven't changed, I'm screwed until someone flushes the wrong entries.  As I have found out, someone else now has some bizarre link farm on that old server, and since 12/17 my domain had been serving up all the same crap as the link farm.  For the longest time, my old site didn't even resolve, so I'm not sure how all this happened.  In retrospect, I should have changed the name servers for the domain to a parked position.

It would never have been a problem had the name servers changed.  It looks like someone did a really sloppy job of recycling the old server.  They didn't wipe account/site in a manner that would have updated the hosting companies name servers.  It all reinforces my belief in not dealing with resellers..... sooner or later, you'll get screwed somehow.

Quote · 18 Feb 2014

Your opinion is your opinion; but you cannot tar everyone with the same brush :/

It's unfair ...

It all reinforces my belief in not dealing with resellers..... sooner or later, you'll get screwed somehow.

Quote · 18 Feb 2014

It's not just my opinion.  Under a limited set of circumstances, resellers can add value to another company's  product.   Where the problem lies, is the infrastructure of the reseller business, or lack thereof.  Sooner or later, limited resources, both human and financial can put the business in the toilet.  At least when a person deals directly with a data center, you know your sites won't suddenly disappear into the abyss for no fault of your own.

Can you honestly say that you'll be in the reseller business 5 years from now?  10 years from now? What will happen to all your accounts if you get hit by a bus?  Shit happens, and if you don't have a bullet proof backup plan, your customers will pay the price.

The truth is, setting up your own server, especially with the data center I use, is very easy.  A few changes to php and mysql, and you're good to go.  The hardest part for most people will be getting used to Plesk.  Managing your own server is  not difficult, and it's not expensive to give it a try. 

Quote · 18 Feb 2014

Datacentres can go as well, one day your server is humming along and the next thing you know the datacentre is in bankruptcy and all the hardware is tied up in court proceedings for a few years.  Then it is liquidated to pay the outstanding bills and you never get your files back.

Geeks, making the world a better place
Quote · 18 Feb 2014

RE:

Datacentres can go as well, one day your server is humming along and the next thing you know the datacentre is in bankruptcy and all the hardware is tied up in court proceedings for a few years.  Then it is liquidated to pay the outstanding bills and you never get your files back.

Don't you have some TinyMCE code to track down.... or something? 

Quote · 18 Feb 2014

I got access to my former Rootbaron held domain by contacting Server4you at that time, they were most helpful and they told me they do not have any control over or sell any domains but to try domainspricedright http://www.domainspricedright.com, I contacted them and they were holding the domain, I had to repurchase the domain through them and I got access to their client area and able to change/re-point the DNS there.

I have learned one thing (Its not good to have all your eggs in one basket, but hind sight is a great thing), never purchase or use a free domain from a hosting provider (reseller) always purchase your domain form a independent domain seller/agent that just sells domains and no add-ons (any type of hosting, email accounts, etc), also make sure you have the option to move it at anytime for free and then re-point the DNS to your server of choice. You may think this is a hassle, but as I have found out your domain can over time become very valuable even worth 10,000+ times what you may have paid for it and become more valuable then any site. You may think this is a hassle, but as I have found out your domain can over time become very valuable even worth 10,000+ times what you may have paid for it and become more valuable then any site.

Also never ever hand over a premium domain to any company/organization (say with the same name or similar) for free, even if they threaten legal action, (you may have more rights than you think, especially if you are not using it for profit) redirect it to a sex site or a competitor and watch them pay up pronto.

Quote · 18 Feb 2014

RE:

I have learned one thing (Its not good to have all your eggs in one basket, but hind sight is a great thing), never purchase or use a free domain from a hosting provider (reseller) always purchase your domain form a independent domain seller/agent that just sells domains and no add-ons (any type of hosting, email accounts, etc), also make sure you have the option to move it at anytime for free and then re-point the DNS to your server of choice. You may think this is a hassle, but as I have found out your domain can over time become very valuable even worth 10,000+ times what you may have paid for it and become more valuable then any site. You may think this is a hassle, but as I have found out your domain can over time become very valuable even worth 10,000+ times what you may have paid for it and become more valuable then any site.

Also never ever hand over a premium domain to any company/organization (say with the same name or similar) for free, even if they threaten legal action, (you may have more rights than you think, especially if you are not using it for profit) redirect it to a sex site or a competitor and watch them pay up pronto.

None of that really applies in my case.  I have complete control over all my domain name and DNS pointers.  The problem is someone never removed the dns entry for my site on the old host.  The site is now on a different host but uses the SAME name server.  It can't add the domain & new host to the name server as long as the old record still exists.  The problem has nothing to do with dns pointers.

Quote · 18 Feb 2014

If it is just a DNS entry that is conflicting and you need a different DNS server with entries pointing to your new server for the time being, I can create the entries on my DNS server for free. The only thing that you need doing is change the entries in your domain registration system.

PM me if you're interested.

Dedicated servers for as little as $32 (28 euro) - See http://denre.com for more information
Quote · 18 Feb 2014

It all reinforces my belief in not dealing with resellers..... sooner or later, you'll get screwed somehow.

I don't think this was you belief when you were hosting with TBH/RootBaron. I will have to agree with Detective08: "Your opinion is your opinion; but you cannot tar everyone with the same brush".  And is just your opinion. Although your post contains benefits to people like yourself, that's not the case for everyone.

Since your post is in regards to 'hosting', not everyone runs their hosting business by the 'Rule of John'. Yes it is true that things can happen, whether human or financial related, and you need to have a backup plan. That pertains to every single business in the world though. Having that back up plan should be something well thought out BEFORE anyone tries to start their own business, regardless of 'what' business you decide to run. Although he was my friend personally, TBH was owned by a person that was not competent in business management/ethics. 'Things do happen' but you should face the issue instead of running from it, which ultimately made the customers pay the price.

But let's turn the table...Things happen to people too. For example: Let's say you hosted with Zarconia and something came up that caused you to suddenly 'bail' out. Maybe you got hit by a bus. Maybe you had a job come up that put you on the other side of the world. Maybe you got strep throat and on your death bed and the only way you can communicate is using your mobile phone (had to do it). Maybe you lost your job all together. How am I supposed to get my money for the hosting I provided to you? I would have to take the loss and move on.. but I am prepared for that. However, it would be completely counter-productive for me to post statements saying that dealing with 'people' is bad for resellers. But you can best believe, we will get 'screwed somehow, sooner or later' by someone. That's just the way it works.

I guess I could say that if anyone buys from Amazon or retail stores, sooner or later you are going to get a defective product. But the key is to 'fix' it, not throw your hands in the air and give up.

Nothing to see here
Quote · 18 Feb 2014

RE:

If it is just a DNS entry that is conflicting and you need a different DNS server with entries pointing to your new server for the time being, I can create the entries on my DNS server for free. The only thing that you need doing is change the entries in your domain registration system.

PM me if you're interested.

The problem is corrected, but thanks for the offer.  All it took was for someone at the data center to manually delete the old entry from their dns.  Then I was able to create a new entry.  All is well now.  I guess it was all part of the very sudden, sloppy exit of rootbaron.  That old host must have been idle for a while, because the problem only manifested itself recently  It's weird that the machine has obviously changed hands and no one bothered to change the host name. 

Quote · 18 Feb 2014

RE:

For example: Let's say you hosted with Zarconia and something came up that caused you to suddenly 'bail' out. Maybe you got hit by a bus. Maybe you had a job come up that put you on the other side of the world. Maybe you got strep throat and on your death bed and the only way you can communicate is using your mobile phone (had to do it). Maybe you lost your job all together. How am I supposed to get my money for the hosting I provided to you?

It wouldn't be a problem for you.  I pay up a year in advance.

Quote · 18 Feb 2014

Here Here !

"Since your post is in regards to 'hosting', not everyone runs their hosting business by the 'Rule of John'."

The thing is there is risk with everything; and on all sides ... doing things yourself means you only have yourself to blame should there be issues, but there is still risks.

There is also great risk to businesses themselves! You as a client could be a huge risk to me, my efforts, plans, reputation and businesses.

In regards to question about will I be doing my work in 5 - 10 years >> YES, I have actually been providing certain services for a lot longer. I set my businesses up to be long-term and something that can be passed on to my family / relatives and for them to benefit in the event something serious should happen to myself.  ,

I agree with Zarcon than good businesses will indeed have backup plan in place ...

I personally don't go through long days and nights and battle all odds (over years and years) taking my businesses to where I want to see them just to watch them fail and be looked down upon.

Since your post is in regards to 'hosting', not everyone runs their hosting business by the 'Rule of John'.

Quote · 18 Feb 2014

All this self-admiration is killing me.

Quote · 18 Feb 2014

LOL ... still true though that you cannot assume all resellers / web hosts are the same due to some bad experiences with ones you have come across ...

Not everyone has the skills, understanding or confidence you may have to do things all by themselves and are grateful for the good businesses and support that exist.

There is nothing wrong with a little self-admiration ... I enjoy doing what I do and  know I am good at it.

All this self-admiration is killing me.

Quote · 18 Feb 2014

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.