music upload gives 406 error

When I try to upload a mp3 file the progress bar jumps to 100% very fast

and about 2 minutes later I get a 406 error in a black pop up box.  Does anyone

have an Idea on how to fix it ?

No errors show on the server log files

running PHP 5.2.6

Thanks

Quote · 22 Jun 2008

because i remember 406 from wayback, i had to look this up and see what the deal was with it. i dont have your domain, or i would login and see if it gave me the same error. i would go out on a branch and bet that its a problem with your host. where are you hosted?

here is what i found about 406 Errors:

Introduction

A client (e.g. your Web browser or our CheckUpDown robot) can indicate to the Web server characteristics of the data it will accept back from the Web server. This is done using 'accept headers' of the following types:

• Accept: The MIME types accepted by the client. For example, a browser may only accept back types of data (HTML files, GIF files etc.) it knows how to process.
  • Accept-Charset: The character sets accepted by the client.
  • Accept-Encoding: The data encoding accepted by the client e.g. the file formats it understands.
  • Accept-Language: The natural languages (English, German etc.) accepted by the client.
  • Accept-Ranges: Whether the client accepts ranges of bytes from the resource i.e. a portion of the resource.

If the Web server detects that the data it wants to return is not acceptable to the client, it returns a header containing the 406 error code.

406 errors in the HTTP cycle

Any client (e.g. your Web browser or our CheckUpDown robot) goes through the following cycle:

• Obtain an IP address from the IP name of your site (your site URL without the leading 'http://'). This lookup (conversion of IP name to IP address) is provided by domain name servers (DNSs).
  • Open an IP socket connection to that IP address.
  • Write an HTTP data stream through that socket.
  • Receive an HTTP data stream back from your Web server in response. This data stream contains status codes whose values are determined by the HTTP protocol. Parse this data stream for status codes and other useful information.

This error occurs in the final step above when the client receives an HTTP status code that it recognises as '406'.

Resolving 406 errors - general

This error occurs very infrequently in Web browsers, because most browsers will accept any data returned from your Web server.

If the client is not a Web browser, then anyone can only investigate the problem by looking at the Accept headers generated by the client system and the data stream returned by the Web server. If you do not have access to the source code for these systems, the only thing you can do is refer the problem to technical support people at the companies that developed the systems.

Resolving 406 errors - CheckUpDown

This error should simply never occur in your CheckUpDown account. If it does, it typically indicates defective programming of our systems or of the Web server which manages your site. We do not use accept headers at all, so there is no reason for your Web server to generate a 406 error.

i know this may not help much, but it says something is going on with the browser and the data it is trying to serve back to you.

later,
DosDawg

When a GIG is not enough --> Terabyte Dolphin Technical Support - Server Management and Support
Quote · 23 Jun 2008

the domain is Zigazoom.com

I run my own server and I have another site that runs jamroom and has no issues uploading MP3 files on the

same server.

Thanks

Quote · 23 Jun 2008

try this in your htaccess

<IfModule mod_security.c>
SecFilterEngine Off
SecFilterScanPOST Off
</IfModule>

sounds like agressive settings on

I have video tutorials to help you mrpowless.com
Quote · 23 Jun 2008

Well the progress bar seems to work after adding that to the .htaccess file, but I still get the

406 error.  Can anyone tell me what directory it should be saving the mp3 files to and what php

files are used for uploading music and videos ?

Thanks

Quote · 23 Jun 2008

I did a re-write of my mod sec rules and now it works fine, Thanks for the help

Quote · 23 Jun 2008

good job, and good troubleshooting.

later,

DosDawg

When a GIG is not enough --> Terabyte Dolphin Technical Support - Server Management and Support
Quote · 24 Jun 2008

I am a newbie experiencing the same error how do you do a rewrite?

Quote · 21 Jan 2009

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.