my hosting provider says no to installation

My hosting provider has said no to the following part of the installation requirements:

'''root''' SSH access (necessary for '''RMS''' installation)

Can someone tell me what RMS is?  Is it a "must have" requirement or a "be nice to have" requirement.  ie is it a deal breaker?

TIA

Rachael

Quote · 23 May 2008

IF you are planning on running Ad-Free versions and or want a reliable video chat solution.

We offer RMS as a service.

http://www.cyberxing.com

regards,

CyberXing

My hosting provider has said no to the following part of the installation requirements:

'''root''' SSH access (necessary for '''RMS''' installation)

Can someone tell me what RMS is?  Is it a "must have" requirement or a "be nice to have" requirement.  ie is it a deal breaker?

TIA

Rachael

Quote · 23 May 2008

RMS IS the deal breaker yes!

RMS = RAY Media Server ... basically it s the same as a FLASH Meda Server, but a cusom made one for this software.

The media server allows you to do the youtube thingies...

If you have your own dedicated server your host can (should) NOT say no to the RMS - if you are on a shared server - then they won't let you have it ....

Quote · 23 May 2008

The included rms is basically red5 or a spin off of it. If you have dedicated or vps you can install it yourself with some basic linux command line codes.

Most that get vps are not familiar with linux or linux commands or understand how to install such 3rd party scripts. So if you do have vps you can hire someone to do it for you. You can purchase monthly from a 3rd party such as cyberxing.com

Or if you have the free ray installed use boonex.com free rms as far as I understand. Seems like this one has changed recently.

I haven't played with the 6.1 version too much yet, but it used to be that the main differnce was the video part. With rms your members could video one another in chat or im and not with no rms. They could still text chat and text im but no video. Profile videos did require an rms server whether your own or 3rd party.

So it seemed it was mostly related to video.

Now in 6.1 I keep reading about if you have adfree you need your own or 3rd party rms. This wasn't the case in pre-6.1. Either worked, so I can not totally say for sure without further testing at the moment.

Maybe someone else could verify that?

gameutopia

DialMe.com - Your One and Only Source For Boonex Dolphin Tutorials and Resources
Quote · 23 May 2008

If you are running Ad-Free Ray, you will need either a 3rd party RMS or your own.

(Boonex FREE RMS is only for FREE versions)

CyberXing

The included rms is basically red5 or a spin off of it. If you have dedicated or vps you can install it yourself with some basic linux command line codes.

Most that get vps are not familiar with linux or linux commands or understand how to install such 3rd party scripts. So if you do have vps you can hire someone to do it for you. You can purchase monthly from a 3rd party such as cyberxing.com

Or if you have the free ray installed use boonex.com free rms as far as I understand. Seems like this one has changed recently.

I haven't played with the 6.1 version too much yet, but it used to be that the main differnce was the video part. With rms your members could video one another in chat or im and not with no rms. They could still text chat and text im but no video. Profile videos did require an rms server whether your own or 3rd party.

So it seemed it was mostly related to video.

Now in 6.1 I keep reading about if you have adfree you need your own or 3rd party rms. This wasn't the case in pre-6.1. Either worked, so I can not totally say for sure without further testing at the moment.

Maybe someone else could verify that?

gameutopia

Quote · 23 May 2008

RMS is used in chat, im, video recorder etc. If you are using free version you can use Boonex RMS for free.

----
Quote · 23 May 2008

"If you are running Ad-Free Ray, you will need either a 3rd party RMS or your own.

(Boonex FREE RMS is only for FREE versions)"

Well this is kind of weird- if you are using free Dolphin you get free RMS, but if you use the paid version of Dolphin you are penalized and have to pay for another program.  Why would that be?

Also, if this is the same as Flash media player, they why didn't they just use Flash media player?  This sounds awful proprietary- is this still open source?

Rob

Quote · 23 May 2008

The Dolphin, Orca are Open source. But Ray is not open source.

----
Quote · 24 May 2008

Hi

The big thing to watch is that Dolphin has some strict requirements and not all hosts allow it. I used Hostforweb (recommended by Boonex) but had some major problems. Godaddy and some of the big regular hosts wont work. Best thing is to search this site for recommendations.

I have switched now and found Hostmonster to be reliable. Unlimited hosting too. I just use Dolphin as a pay wrapper for Orca so I dont need the RMS or any of the Ray products. But they do seem to be a good host for Dolphin.

Cheers

Max

Quote · 11 Jul 2008

I am providing good hosting plans which supports all the products of boonex. visit http://cpanel.happy-hosting.com

----
Quote · 13 Jul 2008

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.